Hi all, I'm new here!! Just wanted some advice really. In July 2011 I awoke not being able to straighten my left arm and could not move my thumb and index finger.... Anyway cut a long story short after many visits to doc/MRI scans/ physios/neurosurgeon I have been diagnosed with a prolapsed disc c5/6. They wanted to operate on feb 29 2012 last year but when date finally came I had gained use of my arm again so neuro cancelled and sent me for another MRI. I am now awaiting another MRI end of feb this yr and he said that will decide if I need operation!?!?! I am so scared. As I have in the last few days got pain in my neck and right arm (now) where I had none before!! They said if I fall or have trauma car accident I run the risk of being paralysed. I am scared had anyone had this happen to them?? Any advice would be great x
Last edited by bek81; 02-04-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Hi Hun, I noticed you had no replys, so I thought I would. I had C5/6 and C6/7 fused 3 wks ago. The NHS dont do operations unless they are necessary. Have a look at my post yesterday to get some idea of how I am. Its not just a car accident that puts you at risk, I my case my problems progressed.
I would advise anyone who needs it doing, to have the operation. You dont want to end up like me Hun. The operation itself is not as bad as I imagined.
Don't get too worried... I'll bet surgeons tell 1,000 people they might get paralyzed in a fall for every one who actually does get paralyzed. Maybe 10,000.
Sounds like you have a pretty straightforward impaction of your left C6 nerve, which would affect your triceps and thumb, mostly. Even if it's a herniation, you might be able to have the extruded material removed by a foraminotomy, leaving what's left of the disk in place. Maybe you'll have to have the disk removed, though, which is a somewhat bigger operation, though still routine...
Just a quick update, I had my appointment with my Neurosurgeon yesterday. And he said following my MRI scan I had two weeks ago - he does not feel the need to operate?! (because there is no change between my two last scans (Oct and Feb)). The damage to my left hand and arm etc and neck pain may not be eleviated by the operation. So he feels the risk of operating versus the pain levels at present which may or may bot be cured is not worth it. He said he would discharge me but I said no I would like to see him in 4 months incase anything changes and also as its the NHS (i dont want to start the process all over again and get lost in the system, if you know what i mean).
He said if i have any further symptoms i.e pins and needles, leg problems etc then i am to go straight back.... I am a little concerned as if i had these things then surely it would be too late and i thought the operation was to prevent it from getting worse.... he assured me i was stable and its isnt moving?! my answer.... but what if it does?!.... he said im at no risk. but i need to be careful and not doing anything dangerous etc... so bumper cars etc is out.
I'm 31 now and i can remember having numb spots down my arms since i was 15 or so.... so maybe this injury is really old?! and one day i just did a bit much and aggrivated it?! he said i cold go on for the next two years and not need any surgery.... my body could always absorb the protruding disc material..... the thing is with all this its all ifs, buts and maybes?!..... my partner is happy but i can't allow myself to be cause it doesn't feel sorted.... maybe i need to stop over analysing and just get on with things, and accept my hand and thumb will be like this for ever (I can see arthoritis coming on in my old age in this hand!!).... we are planning on having a baby soon (not getting any younger) - the neurosurgeon said my neck could take it?! but could it really..... he was so keen to operate last time! now he's not - hes completely changed his mind?.... i think im going to see him in four months and push for another MRI.... Thanks for your mail!! x