It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
(female)

0055 HB User
Question First post-ACDF 4-5 /5-6 weakness right arm and leg

This is my first post and were just curious if others had the same issues I am dealing with.
I had an ACDF on 4/5-5/6 ,my spinal cord had flattened to 5mm. But when neurosurgeon did surgery they said was actually worse than 5mm. So I had spinal cord compression that ended up with myelomalacia , which the neurosurgeon tells me actually is a bleed in my cord and some of my signals not making it through to the rest of my body ,a spinal cord injury, even though I was not in an accident .
So now my right arm aches at night and in the mornings,and my right arm and leg are weak. When I get tired or I have a headache I walk like I am off balance and if I stand still I looses my balance and need to hold on to something. Also if I do the slightest bit too much ,the next day I wake with a terrible headache and neck ache . Which also make not walk right... I weave.
So tomorrow I go back to work... I have been off for 6 weeks ... But honestly I still don't feel like I have the energy to go back yet . I still feel weak and sore.

So I am curious if this is what other people experience after a ACDF ?Your comments are welcomed and appreciated ! Thank you ...

Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: First post-ACDF 4-5 /5-6 weakness right arm and leg

I believe that the myelomalacia will be permanent. That's not to say, however, that your symptoms are all due to the myelomalacia. You really just need to give it time - as in a number of months - and see how things settle out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

rockenmama HB Userrockenmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0055 View Post
This is my first post and were just curious if others had the same issues I am dealing with.
I had an ACDF on 4/5-5/6 ,my spinal cord had flattened to 5mm. But when neurosurgeon did surgery they said was actually worse than 5mm. So I had spinal cord compression that ended up with myelomalacia , which the neurosurgeon tells me actually is a bleed in my cord and some of my signals not making it through to the rest of my body ,a spinal cord injury, even though I was not in an accident .
So now my right arm aches at night and in the mornings,and my right arm and leg are weak. When I get tired or I have a headache I walk like I am off balance and if I stand still I looses my balance and need to hold on to something. Also if I do the slightest bit too much ,the next day I wake with a terrible headache and neck ache . Which also make not walk right... I weave.
So tomorrow I go back to work... I have been off for 6 weeks ... But honestly I still don't feel like I have the energy to go back yet . I still feel weak and sore.

So I am curious if this is what other people experience after a ACDF ?Your comments are welcomed and appreciated ! Thank you ...
Have you been doing physical therapy at all? I had my 2 level ACDF in early December and am just starting my 5th week of PT. Like you I have legs/arms/hand weakness as well as my propreioception isssue's which is what is causing my balance issue's. I just had my 4 week assesment last Friday at PT and my propreioception is still very much an issue however I've heard it can take a good 4-8 weeks before it improves and maybe even longer. My arm ache is getting better but I also am still taking gabapentin per surgeons request.

Pam

The Following User Says Thank You to rockenmama For This Useful Post:
0055 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

0055 HB User
Smile Re: First post-ACDF 4-5 /5-6 weakness right arm and leg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
I believe that the myelomalacia will be permanent. That's not to say, however, that your symptoms are all due to the myelomalacia. You really just need to give it time - as in a number of months - and see how things settle out.
Thank you for your help.Yes i hope to get better with time . Now that i am back to work I am extremely tired and seems it to give me neck aches and headaches. But i may just have to get used to it because of the myelomalacia .
But i am glad not to be paralyzed , just a spinal cord injury.
Thanks again

Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
(female)

0055 HB User

Thank you for you help... i am not going to physical therapy ... they have just told me
to walk and ride a stationary bike.....I also take gabapenton,which definitely helps me ,when I forget to take it I have alot of nerve pain in my arm and leg.And my walking is worse.....But thankfully I do feel a little better each day.... i do hope it continues...
I have to say i wish I wasnt working yet though because it is really hard on me...thanks again for your answer!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
(male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Not to try & be real nosy. But how much "Gabapentin" are you taking?
Reason why I ask is I am on quite a large dose myself...2400mg a night.
it does help with the facial,head,leg & such. But I have asked a couple of people I know & their dose is 1/2 or less than mine.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
(female)

0055 HB User

I take 600 mg of gabapentin three times a day... It really does help with my nerve pain... I have tried not to take as much ,but my pain gets worse.... So for now I will continue with it....

Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
(male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Thanks for letting me know... I take 2400mg at bed time right now. I was wondering because I just didn't know if that was alot or or not.
I really know what you mean by if you miss a dose or don't take as much too. I also get more pain & tingling,ect. Hope you feel better & get your issues fixed.

Reply Reply