It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
(female)

y2kladyt HB User
Help with meaning of diag.

I did not know how to use the site and posted in the wrong place the first time. My hubby has been going through this for 14 months and it is so bad that he has many times threatened to kill him self because of the pain. I watch him sleep in a recliner(only place he can get any sleep) and cry and moan all night long. The only meds that they have given him were neurontin and now they they had him on some Mobic once a day but it is gone and have not given him anything else. Neither has done anything for his pain.
This is what the report says:
Small amount of increased T2 in the cord focally at the C6-C7 disc space level
C6-C7: Broad-Based Ventral impression on thecal sac due to Disc osteophyte complex. AP dimmension of the central canal reduced to approx. 9mm. Moderately severe LEFT Foraminal narrowing.
Impression: Disc osteophyte complex producing a ventral extradural defect at c6 c7 This results in minimal central canal stenosis. But there does apeer to be a small amount of edema in cervical cord at this level. Moderately severe LEFT foraminal stenosis At C6-C7
Our Regular Dr. after a hospital visit where my hubby thought he was having a heart attack (this is how bad the pain is. He did not have a heart attack but they told him he had pleurisy) said it was not Pleurisy and sent him for an MRI. When results came back our Dr said he needed surgery and sent him to Neurosurgeon. Neurosurgeon wants him to get physical therapy and is acting like it is no big deal unlike our reg DR.
He can hardly walk or pick anything up. He has burning on the left breast and underarm area> burning feet> Cant hardly breath when he walks or picks something up> left arm and hand numb. Neck and upper left back pain. I would like to know what some of these words mean like; ventral extradural defect> Disc osteophyte> Foraminal narrowing and Increased T2 so I may understand this a little better. Neuro says that what is wrong with him does not cause the kind of pain he is experiencing. Does any of this sound right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
Re: Help with meaning of diag.

I'm not qualified to comment, certainly not to diagnose.

But, Moderately severe LEFT foraminal stenosis At C6-C7 is consistent with left shoulder, arm and hand pain and numbness. Forminal stenosis is the narrowing of where the nerve root comes out of the vertebrae towards the left shoulder. It can cause pressure and possibly damage to the nerve. "Moderately severe" generally means it is significant and may or may not indicate a need for surgery.

Disc osteophyte complex producing a ventral extradural defect at c6 c7 can refer to bulging or some herniation of disc possibly caused by arthritic type bone growths. This contributes to the forminal stenosis.

Increased T2 is just an observation that most probably means nothing, but might.

minimal central canal stenosis with 9mm is okay and nothing spinal in the MRI seems to account for his problems walking.

This might be a side effect of the neurontin. When I was taking it, I had very poor balancing walking. DO NOT stop taking the neurontin except under a doctors guidance. Depending upon what strength and how long he has been taking it, he will need to slowly work off it.

Ask for a referral to a pain mgmt dr. Better meds and/or cervical injections, etc. might help significantly. It sounds like your husbands pain is in a 7-8 range. Good Pain mgmt should be able to get it down to 4-5.

Good Luck. I'm 2.5 years sleeping in a recliner, now an expensive zero gravity power model.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daffydolphin For This Useful Post:
y2kladyt (02-12-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User
Re: Help with meaning of diag.

I would see another neurosurgeon for a second opinion. You are entitled to have one.

Reply Reply