It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
(female)

merlino165 HB User
Should I use the same N.S. - not happy

I had a laminectomy on L3 and L4 for spinal stenosis. Three months later I still have not gotten any better. I kept telling the doctor (who I saw once) and her P.A. about bad symptoms such as severe nerve pain and pressure in my abdomen and back, weak right leg (using a cane now), severe nerve pain on both legs (front and back), stiff legs and knees so I can barely walk. They did not listen and sent me to pain management. He subsequently sent me back to the D.O. in the practice that originally saw me. He suggested that maybe the symptoms are coming from the thoracic area and ordered an MRI. This showed a pretty large meningioma on T3. Now he is sending me back to the surgeon (all in the same practice). He said this probably is causing a lot of my symptoms, which are unbearable and ruining my life. I really donít want to go back to her since they treated me terribly all these months and refused to take me seriously. I think the N.S. should have investigated more when I wasnít getting better (and even worse than before) instead of releasing me to pain management. Why did she not even consider the thoracic area herself? I have an appointment with another surgeon on Tuesday (not in her practice). Should I tell her I am going for a 2nd opinion or use her? I assume I will have to have another surgery.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

PSS1 HB User
Re: Should I use the same N.S. - not happy

Based on your description of what has occurred, I, personally, wouldn't consider using that surgeon again. And I would get more than 1 additional opinion if there are competent surgeons in your area. I am about to get my 5th opinion because no 2 surgeons have advised exactly the same approach. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I truly believe that if you are unhappy with a doctors office then it's time to investigate another option.

It is really important that you feel comfortable with your treating physician and that there is a line of communication that is open both ways.

I don't see any need to tell the first surgeon that you are getting another opinion. And if you feel the need for yet another opinion then go for it. I would get the 2nd opinion and not say anything to the first doctor. Once you see the 2nd doctor determine what is best for YOU on who and where you want to treat. There are plenty of good doctors out there. Yes it may take time to find that perfect match of one you feel comfortable with. Just keep looking. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear merlino, When i was in bad nerve compression pain from 2 lumbar discs that were herniated bilaterally i just wanted the pain to stop & had the laminectomies asap after spine ortho & NS told me they could fix it. People just want to be well again, as im sure you did & do now. If you were at the beginning again before first surgery but knowing what you know now would you make the same choice? Also, in my opinion a thoracic surgery like removing a meningioma i wouldnt want a plain neurosurgeon that puts in shunts, operates on brains but i would want one that does spine only, hopefully growths on spine only neurosurgeon & when looking for a NS last year i saw NS that specialized in tumors of brain, others that did growths on spine only & if i had access to one or two that is where i would start & even wouldnt let pain rush me. Of course, we all want to be listened to, want the dr to be thorough, skilled but a NS that has all these qualities & is highly specialized in the area where i need surgery & that has done the surgery 1000 times seems a better fit for me than someone who has done 10-20. I hope & pray that you find the right dr for you & the answer to why you are not improving. God bless you!

Last edited by gmak; 02-21-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: wording

Reply Reply