It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

fuzzybunny pgh HB User
Question Mri results neck help

There is a loss of normal cervical lordosis with diminished vertical height and signal intensity of c4-5 intervertebral disc. The remaining intervertebral disc and vertebral bodies maintain their vertical height and signal intensity. No evidence for tonsillar herniation is seen. There is presence of a syrinx seen starting from the superior endplate of c6 and extending through the inferior endplate for a total distance of 9 millimeters. In its widest portion this measures 1.6 millimeters transversely. Axial scans of the skull base reveal no abnormality. At c1-c2 there is a symmetry between the odontoid process and lateral masses of c1. At c2-3 posterocentral disc osteophyte complex is seen not extending laterally and intervertebral foramina are normal. At c3-4 posterocentral disc osteophyte complex is seen not extending laterally. intervertebral foramina normal.at c4-5 no disc bulge or herniation is seen. C5-6 no disc bulge or herniation.at c6 there is a syrinx as described. At c7-t1 no abnormality is seen. T1-t2 and t2-3 no abnormality.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
Re: Mri results neck help

It is positive that there are no herniation or bulges. They do state that there is diminished height and signal at C4-5. No sure of the extent. I do not know what a syrinx is. Most of the info seems positive. The osteopyhte means bone spurs. They could cause an issue. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to frenchfri1003 For This Useful Post:
fuzzybunny pgh (03-10-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

With the exception of the syrinx, your MRI report looks unremarkable. The syrinx is a cavity formed within the spinal cord by cerebrospinal fluid being forced inside it. This may not be much of a problem, or may be every bit as bad as it sounds. Look up "syringomyelia".

You really need to stay on top of this, although more than that may not yet be required.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
fuzzybunny pgh (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
(female)

fuzzybunny pgh HB User

Hi n thk u so much for ur reply:-) what does the posterocenter disc ostphye things mean , also what about the dismished height ? I am in so much pain every second , of everyday , can't keep living in this pain, thks for all ur help n time:-)

Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

The diminished height means that your cervical disks have compressed. While this can lead to problems, it's extremely common, and not necessarily problematic in itself.

An osteophyte is a bone spur. You have bone overgrowth from the C2 and/or the C3 vertebrae above and/or below the C2-3 disk. It is not growing laterally - into the foraminal openings - and thus not affecting the nerves that go into your shoulders. If it were big enough, it would grow backward into the spinal canal, and eventually compromise the spinal cord. However, if it were doing so, or about to do so, the radiologist should have said so, so I'd assume it's nothing to worry about, unless one of your docs says so.

The syrinx is what strikes me as being at least potentially serious...

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-10-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

fuzzybunny pgh HB User

Thk u so much again :-) so as it seems , its the syrinx , that I gotta worry about only. I have appt. On Tuesday with a neuro , so ill c I guess then, my shoulders , just burn with pain , my neck my right side of jaw n ear n can't hear good out of right ear , right hand n fingers tingling n numb, weird feeling, the pain in my neck, shoulders , lower back r unbearable at most times. The noises my neck make r so aweful n loud ppl r always like wow cuz my neck cracks n pops loudly like 3times a hour all day , n I have to move it n crack it or its like it gets stuck n hurts worst, but when sum one rubs my neck or shoulders they gotts push so exteremely hard as I request or I can't bearly fill it n there afraid there gonna hurt me or break sum thing lol :-) does that sound like things that syrinx coukd b causing me? I hope iam not bothering u wit all these question , I just need to know why n what wrongs wi th me n how ti get rid of all this pain, I thk u again so very much, I really do appercaite u time n answers thk u :-)

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Sorry... I forgot about your neck "cracking". Don't see how the syrinx causes that.

Let us know what the docs say...

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

fuzzybunny pgh HB User

I will I go tuesday n thk u again , xrays n ct , says deng.osto n phesaorthis. That's what lead to the mri w n wo contrast so think that's y alk the cracking n stiffnes , plus pain also have like a huge grow , in neck they were not sure what it was n when looking at my neck in that back I have like a real ugly hump sticky out of my neck , I hope whatever they do also fix that , although that's the least of my worries n merely is commedice but it is ugly n bothersomes , iam well still consider my self fairly young being only 37yrs old , I like for that to go away to but first the pain , also another thing I dnt understand n mayb u can explain to me how do I have dengenerate pheoarthis n orthis when commonly it is sum thing older ppl starting at age 65/70 get

Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Arthritis - could be heredity, or could have something to do with overworking certain joints... something to do with your job.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
(female)

TB1123 HB User

Yes you need to have the syrinx for syringomyelia checked out soon, I do know for a fact that it is not so much how long it is as for how wide it is. I had a very wide syrinx in my thoracic area and had a shunt placed back in 2002 and it made the size go down a great deal. A syrinx will never go away, once a syrinx always a syrinx. You do need to find out what caused the syrinx before letting anyone touch it. Make sure you do your research and find a good Neurosurgeon who has done this more then 2 or 3 times in there life. If they tell you it can not cause pain move on to another NS. People with Arnold Chiari & Syringomyelia may go years before we find a really good Dr. who knows what they are talking about, only because it is covered maybe 15 min. in medical school. Good luck and don't panic, it can scare you when reading on the internet at first, that is why I said make sure you do your research, you did not get the syrinx over night and it will be ok left alone for some time. Your's is on the small side as for the width, so you have time to search it out. It may not get any larger, or it may not grow again for years so take a deep breath and start looking into it with at least a Neurologist who will then send you to a Neurosurgeon etc. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to TB1123 For This Useful Post:
fuzzybunny pgh (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
(female)

fuzzybunny pgh HB User

So u had a shunt put in to drain it right , does it feel better ? Right now I have daily extreme pain , didbu , do u stiil ? Has it grow back? Did the shunt hurt ? Does the shunt stay in forever n keep draining when needed ? How do u kbow when it started ti grow or where it came from? I was in bad car wreck in 2009 , so we think mine might b trama related , but not postive eitger cuz my neck has alway been in pain ever since a young girl , just was always told nothing wrong wit it , lol, nice , h uh h !!!! But through n since wreck , my neck and back pain has double in its pain , its pretty much unbearable at most times. What kind of medinces did they put u on to help , if any for u? Any thing u suggestion neds wise or doctor wise, plz n thk u so very much, I can't stand living like this in this pain anymore :'(

Reply Reply