It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Flare up with my neck and shoulder pain

At the moment, I have so many other things going on, with my health, I am really not wanting to make a special appointment, to see my GP for this, and am posting here, just for some advice possibly..
I have bulging discs in my cervical spine, and degenerative disc disease from C3-C7, some narrowing, osteophytes, and some straightening of the normal lordosis, I had a repair to a torn tendon in my left shoulder in 2011, aswell as some bone shaved off, and I have the beginnings of Carpal Tunnel in both hands.
I have been managing things, with Physio, a Tens machine, and Tramadol, for the past few years... I don't get total relief, and do have pain a lot of the time... but just recently, things seem to have flared up a bit, but differently to anything I have experienced before.
I know I have been overdoing things a little recently, as I do get very frustrated, at not being able to do things as I used to... (I spent most of my life, not knowing when to stop, and seeing a job through from start to finish no matter what the costs) I am totally unable to be like that these days, but I have pushed myself a bit more over recent days... anyways, I have had some severe cramp type pains in the back and left side of my neck, they have come and gone, but have been very severe, enough to make me scream out, I have also been having some sharp pains in my left shoulder, and a fair bit of moderate to severe pain in my left forearm, my left eye has started to twitch aswell, I have no idea if this could be connected (ie some kind of nerve somewhere being pinched???) everything seems to be on the left side and the middle of my neck, I have been getting headaches too, which I haven't had for a while...
I am putting it down to overdoing things and hoping that slowing down, will help to improve things, but I am worried, really because it is different to how things normally feel.
As said, I don't want to make an unecessary appointment, and just wondered, if anyone would agree it is probably due to overdoing things, and things will probably settle back down... I suppose my biggest worry is, that I have done some kind of extra damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Flare up with my neck and shoulder pain

Hello to you. I remember you, you are from England, how are you?

Well, I have the same problem. I have pain on my left side and the middle of my neck as well. By the way, when you say, the middle of your neck, what do you mean?

I suggest to do a CT of your neck so they can see more.
Headackes can be from the neck pain also by the way.

Don't be afraid to go back to your doctors. I also don't like doctors.

Streightening of the lordosis can cause muscles to contract (as far as I know).

I have been suffering like that 24/7 for 8 years already. It's mainly pain on my left side and the middle of my neck. But I have it all the time. It never stops. Never.

What meds are you currently taking?

Last edited by nochange; 04-25-2013 at 01:28 AM.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Re: Flare up with my neck and shoulder pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Hello to you. I remember you, you are from England, how are you?

Well, I have the same problem. I have pain on my left side and the middle of my neck as well. By the way, when you say, the middle of your neck, what do you mean?

I suggest to do a CT of your neck so they can see more.
Headackes can be from the neck pain also by the way.

Don't be afraid to go back to your doctors. I also don't like doctors.

Streightening of the lordosis can cause muscles to contract (as far as I know).

I have been suffering like that 24/7 for 8 years already. It's mainly pain on my left side and the middle of my neck. But I have it all the time. It never stops. Never.

What meds are you currently taking?
Hello nochange,

I'm not good at the moment, fullstop... I need rubbing out and re-drawing, I think...I am awaiting all my teeth being extracted, I have advanced periodontal gum disease and all of the bone surrounding my teeth has been destroyed, (I have always had good teeth, and things started to change a little while ago, long long story short, we moved, and I needed surgery on my shoulder and things were very bad with my neck, so I foolishly didn't see a dentist for around 18 months, as, I priortised my shoulder and neck, and didn't feel I could cope with any drilling etc.. BIG MISTAKE, by the time I went, things were too advanced, and I am now paying the price... ) I also have recently been diagnosed, with High Cholestrol (they feel was brought on by my thyroid problems,) have problems now with both hips, and today found out I need to wear glasses permanentley... so feeling a little sorry for myself, to say the least..

What I mean by the middle of my neck, is just below the skull between the shoulder blades, I am still taking the Tramadol and paracetomol, long story short, I was recently put on statins, which I couldn't take, as they made all my joints hurt, and at present, I can't cope with changing my painkillers and trying something else, these take the edge off things, I have a tens machine which helps a little, but as I am sure you know yourself, what does, really help with neck pain??? not a lot, eh?? It is a nightmare, and unfortunately, things really have flared up again, I don't think stress helps with neck pain, and I have a lot of that at the moment.

How are you?

Reply Reply