It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
(female)

Nittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB UserNittany168 HB User
Help

Last September I had a 3 level ACDF. Everything was going good until it was time to wean out of the collar. It seemed like the weight of my head was just too much to bear. Surgeon took several X-rays, and told me it was muscle spasms.

I changed PM Drs., and he sent me for an MRI. My surgeon received a copy of the report, and he shuffled me off for a CT scan. The next day his MA called, and told me to go to the medical supply store and pick up a cervical collar with a thoracic extension, and come right into the office.

The three levels had slipped over T1, and I had several broken pedicels. Two days later I was in surgery. He fused C7toT1, then turned me over and fused C4-T1, and put screws in the fractures.

Now about 6 weeks after the second surgery I have quite a bit of pain in the back of my neck, and swelling. Dr wants to wait a couple of weeks back in the collar to see if the swelling goes down. He said maybe one of the muscles came loose from the stitches????

Should I be looking for another surgeon, or a second opinion. This has been going on for almost a year now, and I didn't even mention all the injections, RF ablations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User
Re: Help

Definitely get one or two more opinions.

My advice is not to go back to the surgeon who did your surgeries. Not ever.

Please get yourself to at least two new neurosurgeons or spinal surgeons ASAP to see what they think. Make sure to vet out/research any surgeon you are considering.

Find out how long they have been practicing, how many surgeries of the type that you are having done has the surgeon performed, how many bad reviews/complaints to medical board, there is a whole host of issues to look at before you blindly go to a surgeon's office for an evaluation (google "questions to ask before spinal surgery").

Ideally you will know someone who has had surgery with this surgeon or the doctor who refers you will vouch for how good the surgeon is etc.

A doctor that I trusted refered me to a spinal surgeon that was being sued for over a million dollars due to malpractice and had a long history of medical misconduct etc. My doctor had no idea that this surgeon was in trouble - and it was not just one lawsuit. It was a long history of problems. I am thankful that I was able to find the info before I set up the appointment.

It sounds like you need help immediately - good luck and my prayers are with you.

Keep us posted on what you decided to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply