It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2003, 02:31 PM   #1

WILKI706 HB User
Question SPINAL STENOSIS

MY DOCTOR JUST DIAGNOISED ME WITH SPINAL STENOSIS. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE COULD HELP ME OUT WITH INFO ON IT. I HAVE THE NUMBNESS IN THE ARMS AND HANDS AND ALSO IN THE LEGS.
HE ALSO SAID SOMETHING ABOUT NECK ARTHRITIS. I AM GOING NEXT WEEK TO SPEAK TO HIM ABOUT SURGERY.
ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU

Old 01-25-2003, 08:06 PM   #2

eraskas HB User
You should be able to get alot of information from this board. Spinal stenosis is a generic term for a narrowing of opening in the spine where the spinal cord goes through. Usually that narrowing causes pressure on the spinal cord and thus results in a possible plurality of symptoms including numbness in the extremeties or other parts of the body and possible awkward or compromised gait. Most importantly, it is essential that the problem is surgically dealt with if the doc recommends it. You should check out the qualifications of the doc and then understand exactly the nature of the surgery. If it is a good doc than you can be relatively confident if nothing else that progression of the symptoms will stop after the surgery, and with G-d's help, you should be able to regain some of the function that was lost as a result of the pressure on the spinal cord. I hope that was helpful.

I also recently had surgery on spinal cord decompression and I am in the recovery phase at this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2003, 04:46 AM   #3

WILKI706 HB User
Thank you so much for your reply, out of 49 people that read my post, you were the only one that helped me out. It is greatly appreciated.
I am being told to go get a second opinion, but from what I read on line everything reads the same.
I have been dealing with this since the beginning of the summer and it has seem to have gotten worse. The numbness in the hands makes me not feels too many things that I hold and my walking isn't getting any better. Like I said, I am going to him Wednesday to go more into detail with the Doctor.
Again thank you very much.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User
Hello Wilki706, Just wanted to say, that I also have spinal stenosis. I have had this now for 3 years, and my symptoms are getting bad. It effects my left leg, to the point that I can not hardly walk now for more then 30 min. without sitting to rest. I can bend about 3 times and then I'm done for the day. I have had many many MRI's and last summer had traction. 2 days a week and up to 100lbs. of pull. I felt so much better, but after that stopped, it didn't take lone for my disc to compress again, and I started all over. The next step for me is surgery. I have a bone spur that is pushing into the nerve causing numbness and the gait. I have tried to live with this, but I.m only 48 and I don't want to be this way if there is a cure and help. I will also research for a good qualified doctor. I will be returning to NJ this summer, and will look toward Philadelphia Hospitals, such as Thomas-Jefferson, Univerity of Penn. and so on. I want the best guy to cut on me, if you know what I mean. Good luck. Hope you will do ok. Jan PS: I would think NY has many good hopitals also.

Old 02-04-2003, 07:46 PM   #5

angelfan HB User
Hi Wilki706,
I noticed you live in Syosset - I'm in Sayville. Had to respond to let you know of my surgeon. Had four level laminectomy C3,4,5,6 with fusion, rods, etc. about 19 months ago at Beth Israel's INN Institute, which was started by Dr. Fred Epstein (see Sunday, 02/02 Newsday article by Ed Lowe in Part 2 regarding the institute). I had cervical myelopathy, affecting everything from the neck down. Had surgery by Dr. David Langer - the absolute best! I can't say enough about him and about the INN at Beth Israel. Was back home in 7 days. The treatment, both physical and emotional, given by this doctor, his staff, and the hospital is unbelievable. I think, before you do anything, you might want to take a trip in to get a second opinion from him.. Just a suggestion, but for me it was a very long journey to find out my problem, and then find a doctor I trusted with my life. In any event, I wish you the very best and hope you find relief. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you. God Bless!
Angelfan

Old 02-04-2003, 08:59 PM   #6

WILKI706 HB User
THANK YOU ANGELFAN...
I GOT THE RESULTS FROM MY NEUROLOGIST AND HE SAID THAT I HAVE CERVICAL SPINAL STENOSIS AND NEED SURGERY. HE SHOWED ME RIGHT ON THE MRI HOW THE NERVES ARE BEING CRUSHED. HE REFERRED ME TO A SURGEON IN STONYBROOK. BUT I HAVE TO WAIT 3 WEEKS TO SEE HIM. THEY SAY HE IS A VERY GOOD SURGEON. I WILL GO TO SPEAK TO HIM AND THEN TAKE IT FROM THERE.

Old 02-05-2003, 06:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
I did not waste any time once my problems started and my spinal stenosis from the onset to suregery was about 2 months. Surgery was a piece of cake compared to what some others have gone through and I think it was due to my wonderful surgeon and the fact I did not let symptons go to long. Tried PT three times and it was worse... you will be glad when this is over and you can ask many here. It's not bad for what you can have it built up to in your head. Good luck.
Debbie

------------------
Debbie2
ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
September 4, 2002.

Old 02-12-2003, 05:12 PM   #8

tracyalex HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Debbie2:
I did not waste any time once my problems started and my spinal stenosis from the onset to suregery was about 2 months. Surgery was a piece of cake compared to what some others have gone through and I think it was due to my wonderful surgeon and the fact I did not let symptons go to long. Tried PT three times and it was worse... you will be glad when this is over and you can ask many here. It's not bad for what you can have it built up to in your head. Good luck.
Debbie

Old 02-12-2003, 05:16 PM   #9

tracyalex HB User
Hi Debbie, I read your post about having cervical surgery, and wonder do you still have pain and numbness? Did you have spinal cord compression? Would like to hear from you, Tracy Ann

Old 02-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #10

Wyidelode HB User
History: Laminectomy of C3-4 20 years ago, with some muscular atrophy witnessed.
For 18 months I have been experiencing weakness in my left shoulder (no numbness/pain) and have difficulty raising my elbow above the level of my ear. I have seen my left deltoid atrophy a great deal, IMO. Neurologist......MRI......EMG......inter pretation...
The radiologist had 8 "impressions"/conclusions......among them:
#5: At C5-6 level, there is evidence or area of increased signal intensity within the cervical cord consistent with GLIOSIS."
#6: Area of severe spinal stenosis at the C5-6 level with broad based 3MM disc protrusion seen."
Questions:
1) WHAT IS GLIOSIS?? I found Glioma in Webbster's and that's cancer!
2) What does the referrence "increased signal intensity" mean?
On the first page titled "Findings" it said:
re: C5-6..."There is also evidence of severe area spinal stenosis with AP diameter of 6 MM.

Old 02-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Wilki, why not make a few appointments with other good NS's? Between now and then, you are getting all your questions ready, and it's always good to have others' opinions. It's rare that the med. system works at its best- there will be stops and starts along the road, and the best thing we patients can do is anticipate them (why do you think we are called "patience"?) and have lots of appointments made. You can always cancel, within a reasonable time. And for one reason or another, you may not like a particular doctor. And our minds play such an acute role in all this; it's critical we feel comfortable and relaxed with our doctors- we have to believe in them and their abilities.

Good luck with your choices...
wr

Old 02-18-2003, 02:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by tracyalex:
Hi Debbie, I read your post about having cervical surgery, and wonder do you still have pain and numbness? Did you have spinal cord compression? Would like to hear from you, Tracy Ann
Hi Tracy,
I have no pain at all, in fact when I woke from surgery my pain was completely gone. The numbness in my hand and thumb lasted for about two weeks, after that it too was gone. I had compression, but my big issue was a bone spurr (Osteophte(SP?). But I have to tell you I would do it again in a heart beat. I was so nervous til I found this board. It was also such a scary thing to hear, back surgery, disc replacement. Mine was not complicated being c5-c6. The incision was a little uncomfortable, but other than that, it was fine.
Debbie2

------------------
Debbie2
ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
September 4, 2002.

Old 02-18-2003, 04:27 PM   #13
(female)

mrsstats HB User
Wilki: I live in Ronkonkoma. Have herniated disc probelm. Say surgeon in Stony Brook. Were you referred to Dr. Davis?

Old 02-22-2003, 07:22 AM   #14

WILKI706 HB User
YES, MRSSTATS, IT WAS DR. DAVIS. I GOT A PHONE CALL FROM THEM YESTERDAY TELLING ME THAT THEY DON'T ACCEPT MY INSURANCE ANYMORE. MY APPOINTMENT WAS FOR THIS THURSDAY...I MADE THE APPT OVER A MONTHA AGO....BUT I HAD TOLD THE NURSE WHEN AMAKING THE APPOINTMENT WHAT INSUR. IT WAS, AND THEY WAIT TILL 4 DAYS BEFORE APPT TO TELL ME. IWAS VERY DISAPPOINTED CAUSE I HAVE A FEW FRIENDS THAT HAD HIM AND SAID HE WAS A VERY GOOD DOCTOR.
NOW I AM IN THE PROCESS OF FINDING ANOTHER....HOPEFULLY, I WIL FIND ONE ASAP. WERE YOU A PATIENET OF DR. DAVIS?
I LIVED IN RONKONKOMA FOR 17 YEARS.....

Closed Thread