It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2003, 12:20 AM   #1

BigTex HB User
Post Neck Cracking...Thanks for any help

Hello All,

I suffered a concussion about five months ago when I dove into the sharp corner of a window sill. Since then I have had headaches, dizziness, fatigue, etc. Also, a chiropractor did 8 neck adjustments on me in November. For the past few weeks my neck has been cracking, especially when I first wake up in the morning. Has anyone else experienced neck cracking and what causes it and what can be done? Thanks BigTex

Old 02-24-2003, 05:37 AM   #2
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi there,
first of all, be very cautious having chiro neck adjustments, can be extremely dangerous!!
Cracking in the neck can be for a few different reasons, the most common being instability in the joints( hypermobility). The ligaments get damaged/ stretched and allow too much movement in the joints. Perhaps a flexion and extension xray would be useful in identifying hypermobility. And please rethink letting anyone "adjust" your neck.
Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2003, 03:37 PM   #3

BigTex HB User
Thanks for the info Melanie.
I have not had a neck adjustment since November and don't want to ever have a neck adjustment done again. Is there anything that can be done to correct hypermobility in the neck so that my neck does not crack? Also, are there any other reasons why my neck is cracking? Thanks BigTex

Old 02-24-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Big Tex-

Your cracking neck can be caused by lots of things. I would recommend you make an appointment with a neurologist or an orthopedic doc. The neurologist might pick up on other signs of which you're not even aware (weakness etc.) and can order tests like an MRI to get a better look. Who knows, They may be able to fix you up with some physical therapy. Beware those chiros!! Good luck...BWL

Old 02-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #5

BigTex HB User
Thanks BWL,
I have asked two neurologists, a physical therapist and a chiropractor and ended up with three different answers. The first neurologist said the neck cracking was due to muscle spasms. The second neurologist and chiropractor said it was due to tendons snapping. The physical therapist said it was due to either too much mobility in the neck or too much stiffness. What is your opinion?

Old 02-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi Big Tex,
have you had the testing done or ordered by the docs you have seen. Have you had MRI and Flexion/extension Xrays. Both of these tests are important and provide alot of information. Good luck
Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #7

BigTex HB User
Yes, I have had an MRI of the head and neck done and two CAT scans yet they ware all done before ever going to the chiropractor.

Old 02-26-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Big Tex-

I would take Mel's advice again. Many a neck injury has been exacerbated by a chiro. Better to get new pictures and an MRI post-chiro. I've never heard of muscle spasms causing "cracking." It may also be time to get and orthopedic opinion.

Feel good
Bruce

Old 02-27-2003, 05:39 PM   #9
Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
I'm with Mel (God bless her!) on not letting a Chiro mess with your neck. I wish I'd read something like that about 6-8 years ago before one yanked and snapped me around like somebody wrestling an alligator. I doubt I'd be in the mess I'm in today. I have 2 severely degenerated disks which now are both vertically compressing the nerves, and also laterally compressing my spinal cord, with all the wonderful symptoms that result from that.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Hi Tex, my neck cracks all the time too.
So does my lower back and upper middle back.
My spine does it all the time.
I'm getting ready to set up my appointments with a Neurologist and a Doctor of Physical medicine.
I'll let you know what they say.
I sort of think my problem is related to spasms too.
My body tends to have bad spasms.
The only meds that really help my long and continuing
pain are anti-spasmosics.
When the spasms release, my bones crack on their own.
I've had a few accidents over the years.
I was in a car accident. A sports car with the top down and flipped on my head. So I've had this ongoing thing since then (a gazillion years ago.)
I learned to cope.
Then a couple of years ago I fell off the horse and landed flat on my belly on the trail.
My head flipped all the way back and that wasn't good either.
So back in 2001 I started having female problems.
Had a hysterectomy that caused my colon to fail and when we did the emergency surgery for that little fiasco they had to tube me and now, a few months later, my JAW HURTS!!!and keeps slipping side to side.
But spasm meds really do help so I guess we'll see what the professionals think.
I'll keep ya posted.
kat

Old 03-25-2003, 08:19 AM   #11

BigTex HB User
Hello Kat721,
What did your neurologist and Doctor of Phycial Medicing say about your condition?

Old 03-25-2003, 08:19 AM   #12

BigTex HB User
Hello Kat721,
What did your Neurologist and Doctor of Physical Medicing say about your condition?

Old 03-25-2003, 08:33 AM   #13

BKay627 HB User
If you suffered a concusion, alot of things can be going on. First, even if the brain did not have a bleed with the concusion, you wacked your head hard, and all your symptons could be concusion related. Even the pain in the neck and esp the headaches which can be severe at times. Also shoulder pain is a sign of problems with the neck, referred pain as they call it. I am a nurse, and I have had a cervical fusion which failed to fuse. ALso my hubby had a concusion on Oct 30th, and is now disabled for life due to the problems he has had. You probably should also see a nuero phycologist, they are good at determining the extent the concusion is having on you. Your fatigue, headaches, dizzyness, even your abiltity to think may be changed, without you even realizing it right now. SOme cognitive testing may be helpful to find out if the concusion is having any lasting effects. Hope you feel better soon.
Brenda

Closed Thread