It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
Smile Burning Shoulder Pain

I've had pain in my right shoulder for a while now, but more of an aching pain, with a specific spot on the top of my shoulder near the socket that was more painful than the general pain of that whole area which includes my neck. In the past week or so it's turned into more of a hot burning pain at that same spot, almost like there's a hot metal rod inside of it. It's not too far under the surface and is on the top of my shoulder, out to about 2 inches before it reaches the edge of the shoulder socket, where it seems to be the worst. My arm feels quite heavy as it has for some time. My fingers used to tingle and be numb most of the time, but since being on neurontin they don't seem to bother me as much, but the shoulder pain has gotten considerably worse. Kind of a tradeoff I suppose. I know that many of you who share the same problems at C5-6-7 also have shoulder pain and the numbness in the arm and fingers. Is the pain you have the dull ache, sharp stabbing pain or is it a burning pain like I have? It's burning so much that now I'm second guessing myself as to whether I have had some kind of shoulder problem all this time masked by the neck problem and that maybe it was not considered due to assumptions about my neck. Maybe I'm just thinking too much...

Old 05-08-2003, 05:29 PM   #2
Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
Hi Keith,
Sorry to hear that you are finding new symptoms.
I hate when that happens......
I started out with dull pains; almost arthritic in a sense. Eventually, my arm simply (not so simply),
went numb often avec the electrical feelings. Most days, I wished I was a Barbie doll, so that I could pop my arm off & rest it on a table top for a time.
My burning's started a couple of months before I even knew I had a problem........well, I knew there was certainly something wrong!!! I just did not know what.
I understand your thought process...what's this?
what's that? Please remember that over-analysis~~~`
lead's to paralysis. I know that sounds awful where we are concerned.. I do not mean that statement figuratively; merely metaphorically!!
Listen to your body. Jot your findings down on paper. My symptoms changed often & frequently.
Keep the faith.
Until later, Catherine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Inactive

Memer HB User
Hi Keith,

Since the beginning, my upper arm has had a deep ache, like the bone is rotten. Since right before surgery, the same area has burned, along with my neck area. I still have the deep ache. These are two different pains. NS says the burning means longstanding nerve pain. I hope you get a lot of responses because the burning is relatively new for me, and I would like to hear other stories and what their NS says about the burning.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 05-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #4
Inactive

joprud HB User
got it all...as we speak...not so dull,ache... stabbing...burning...neck...shoulders... then there's the lumbar pain thing (includes hips and legs) happening too...so basically everywhere....woo hoo

Me

------------------
  • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
  • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
  • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
  • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 05-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 05-08-2003).]

Old 05-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #5

SherryElaine HB User
Yep I had the burning shoulder pain and before I found out it was my neck I was told I had a dislocated shoulder and then was sent to Ortho doc and he said shoulder was ok it was my neck and I could not believe it was my neck cause my shoulder hurt and burned like it was just my shoulder, that was another reason I got 2 more opinions, and it really was my neck at C5/6 with pinched nerves that was causing the burning pain then it changed to arm pain then arm with thumb pain with the heavy arm feeling. I had forgotten I use to have that shoulder burning pain until I read your post.

------------------
Sher
Anterior Cervical Fusion w/donor bone & w/plating C5/6 Done March 6-2003

Old 05-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User
Keith,

My shoulder pain is now feeling like a horrendous sunburn, so I know how you feel.

I am still concerned about you NOT having surgery. I know you trust your NS, but I'm glad to hear you are getting a second opinion. My neck is alot like yours, but I can't stand the pain, and the threat of permanent nerve damage is definitely a factor in my decision for surgery. NS thinks I will get good results and have DDD at 3 levels, and 3 herniated discs.

I am 42 with a family I would like to enjoy, so I know this is the best route for me, even though it may lead to more surgery down the road.

Good luck kiddo. I'm rooting for you.

------------------
God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
C5-6 compressive disc displacement
C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
DDD
ACDF with possible 2 levels on 5/13/03!

Lea

Old 05-10-2003, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Hi Keith,

I get the shoulder pain also. Mine is mostly an ache and occasional burn more in shoulder blade area. Have you tried a nerve block? My right shoulder pain which was burning has gone since I guess due to the high steroid content. Does neurontin help this for you? I have disc problem at 5/6 and its interesting everyone here with this shoulder/arm thing seems to have discs probs in the area you mentioned.
Have you tried Zostrix cream? My accupuncturist recommended it as the capsicain is apparently soothing for nerve pain,whereas not much else seems to help. Take care,

Mel

Old 05-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #8

Eugene2003 HB User
Keith,

I hope you feel better soon. It is hard to diagnose where a problem started from. I have had numerous unexplained problems in the last year. It seems that the doctors are starting to pin point the problem back to my neck. Hope you figure out the source of the pain and get it taken care of soon!

------------------
EH

Old 05-11-2003, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
Thanks you guys/gals!!

Mel,

I'm not sure if the neurontin has been helping at all on the burning pain that started recently, because I've been on it for about 5 months now. I want to get off the neurontin (my surgeon also wants me off it), and on someting that doesn't seem to make me so tired and forgetful all the time. It also seems to be putting a few pounds on me. I'm curious to see if the neurontin has been handling a certain amount of that burning pain that I wasn't aware of and if getting off it will make the burning more intense. I guess that's one way I'll be able to find out the intensity of my true symptoms, which may be good in knowing exactly what is happening in there.
I tried the epidurals with no improvement. Sure would have been nice if they had. I'll have to give that Zostrix cream a try. Heck I'll try about anything at this point if it might help!!
You folks have a great Mother's Day out there!!

Old 05-11-2003, 08:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Hi Keith,

I have been thinking of trying neurontin, myself and am afraid as I hear of weight gain, tiredness etc. So I had the nerve block instead. I am not sure whats worse cortosone or neurontin. It seems we can't escape the meds and it's a pick the best of a bad bunch thing!.You mentioned the epidurals didn't help, not at all? I suppose a nerve block shot would be similar because its in the same area. But who knows some things with necks just don't add up and we have to try everything. It will be interesting to go off neurontin and see how things are.
Take care,
Mel

Old 05-12-2003, 12:49 PM   #11
Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
Hi Mel,

On the eidurals (they referred to them as nerve blocks, I guess they are the same thing??), the first one did take that painful spot in my shoulder away (the pain, not the actual spot ), but then it came back in a couple of weeks. The 2nd shot didn't do anything, other than that my lower lip and chin went numb for 3 days (they say not related, but what a coincidence?). On both occasions, I did feel some minor relief for a couple of days after the initial discomfort wore off in 2 or 3 days, and I noticed increased range of motion of my neck for a week or so, but then I was right back again in the same stiffness and pain afterwards. I declined the 3rd shot.
Yes, it will be very interesting to see what happens when I come off the neurontin. I hear I need to be weaned off carefully, so they will likely step me back down from 2000mg daily. I want to give it a while to get out of my blood, and take only the Relafen for a week or two if I can stand it, and see if I need to substitute another pain med for the neurontin. I just have no energy at all on this stuff, and I get tired very quickly. I went turkey hunting the other day, and wasn't sure I was going to have the energy to make it back to the house! (Hey Lori, I did finally manage to bag a gobbler yesterday and end my streak of bad turkey hunting luck, I hope you get a chance to get out as well!)

Old 05-12-2003, 08:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Hi Keith,
I have the shoulder pain (and have C5-6 troubles since 1989). It comes and goes. I don't know if it burns or what, only that it isn't stabbing, and it isn't dull or throbbing. I'm just glad the extreme HEAVINESS is gone. I said the short fat guy in stilettos was gone, and for the most part that's true, but my shoulder still does hurt off and on. Whatever..... :bounce2: The percocet is taking effect. Wheee!
wr

Old 05-13-2003, 03:37 PM   #13
Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
Smile

WR,

Believe me, if it was a burning pain you'd have no doubt about describing it as burning. Mine used to be a dull ache from my neck to the shoulder socket, across the top, with a very sore spot close to the end. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago it changed to the dull ache plus the burning pain, and that spot is like there's a hot coal sitting under my skin there. I feel like I could warm the room with it!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif
Keith

Old 05-14-2003, 09:00 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

stolie HB User
Hi Keith,
The burning pain you describe and the location (top of shoulder) is classic rotator cuff tendinitis/bursitis/tear or degeneration symptom. I have a C5-6 neck problem that I blamed for years when I had shoulder pain, only to find out that I also had a small rotator cuff tear (tendinitis produces similar symptoms too). You should look it up on the Web. In my case, as a young man of 29, I was told that a pinched nerve from my neck condition probably weakened the rotator cuff muscles enough that the tendon finally tore. Normally, it is a problem for people over 40 (along with baseball pitchers, of which I am not one). It definitely can coexist with neck problems, be caused by neck problems, and even cause or aggravate neck problems since the muscles in that area are interrelated. Couldn't hurt for you to cover all the bases. Hope this helps.

Dave

Old 05-15-2003, 04:22 AM   #15
Inactive

Memer HB User
Keith,

I had to write and agree with Dave. My sister is going through what he describes. She had a frozen shoulder, PT, then manipulation, then more problems with her neck and shoulder. MRI showed a large diffuse bulge at C5-C6 and also a tear of the rotator cuff. NS told her the bulge was probably related to her shoulder, and he wouldn't treat her neck. He said that she needed to get her shoulder fixed. He acted like the bulge was nothing to worry about. She's in her mid 40s, if that makes a difference.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-04-2003).]

Closed Thread