It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2003, 12:31 PM   #1

DogGroomer HB User
Question New To Board...Understanding MRI

Hello...I'm new and I was wondering if there's anybody who can help me understanding my MRI results. Since Iv'e never experienced a neck or back injury before, it can be, well...kind of scary. My written report says.....

C4-5, there's a posterior osteophyte/disc complex with a possible superimposed small disc extrusion. results in mild acquired central canal stenosis.

C5-6 & C6-7, posterior osteophyte/disc complexes result in mild acquired central canal stenosis.

There's multilevel neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes.

Does anybody have an idea as to what this means?

Thanks!
C3-4: Intervertebral disc normal in height. Small posterior osteophyte/disc complex which causes effacement of the ventral surface of the thecal sac but no central canal stenosis. Mild to moderate right & mild left neural foraminal narrowing due to facet arthropathy & uncovertebral osteophytes.
C4-5: Moderate disc space narrowing. There's a posterior osteophyte/disc complex with possible superimposed posterior central/right paracentral disc extrusion which migrates minimally along the posterior aspect of L5. Results in mild acquired central canal stenosis. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes & less so to facet arthropathy.
C5-6: There's moderate to severe discogenic disease. A broad based posterior osteophyte/disc complex causes effacement of the thecal sac resulting in mild acquried central canal stenosis. There's moderately severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes.
C6-7: Mild disc space narrowing. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to unconvertebral osteophytes.
C7-T1: Intervertebral disc is normal in appearance.
6/16/03 MRI Results Lumbar Spine
1. Degenerative Lumbar disc disease L3-4 with a nearly 3mm broad based central disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral aspect of the thecal sac at this level.
2. Mild annular bulge of the L4-5 disc seen in association with mild facet hypertrophy. Disc extends toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramina bilaterally but without direct neural compression.
L3-4: There's a central 2-3mm disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral thecal sac & contributing to a mild degree of aquired central stenosis. No significant foraminal encroahment is identified.
L4-5: There's a slight flattening of the posterior disc contour. There's mild hypertrophic change of the facet joints. Slight extension of the disc toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramen but below the level of the exiting nerve roots. There's mild hypertrophy of the facet joints.
L5-S1: No discrete disc protrusion is indentified. No definite central foraminal stenosis noted.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:38 PM   #2

need2fuse HB User
looks like you have bone spurs and some disc goo pressing on your spinal canal. More important, is what kind of symptoms are you haveing? Do you have loss of strength? Doc's will probably want to have some nerve testing done to check that.
If there is no nerve trouble, and you are not having bad symptoms, they may just want to watch it for a while.
Let us know what's going on... what you are feeling etc and maybe folks can give you more ideas.

hang in there!
sue t.

------------------
L5 fused early 80's for spondylolisthesis
2 level acdf 6/2000
repair torn labrum 7/2000
shoulder impingement 5/2003
results are in, the fusion never fully healed. =/
Surgery Set for June 27th
revision and an overhaul surgery set for June 27th

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 03:23 PM   #3

DogGroomer HB User
Sue...
Thank you for your reply. The symptoms that I have are numbness under my left shoulder going down my left arm to my hand. Pain is also in my lower back & numbness down my left leg to my foot.

Carolyn

[This message has been edited by DogGroomer (edited 06-13-2003).]
C3-4: Intervertebral disc normal in height. Small posterior osteophyte/disc complex which causes effacement of the ventral surface of the thecal sac but no central canal stenosis. Mild to moderate right & mild left neural foraminal narrowing due to facet arthropathy & uncovertebral osteophytes.
C4-5: Moderate disc space narrowing. There's a posterior osteophyte/disc complex with possible superimposed posterior central/right paracentral disc extrusion which migrates minimally along the posterior aspect of L5. Results in mild acquired central canal stenosis. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes & less so to facet arthropathy.
C5-6: There's moderate to severe discogenic disease. A broad based posterior osteophyte/disc complex causes effacement of the thecal sac resulting in mild acquried central canal stenosis. There's moderately severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to uncovertebral osteophytes.
C6-7: Mild disc space narrowing. There's moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing due primarily to unconvertebral osteophytes.
1. Degenerative Lumbar disc disease L3-4 with a nearly 3mm broad based central disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral aspect of the thecal sac at this level.
2. Mild annular bulge of the L4-5 disc seen in association with mild facet hypertrophy. Disc extends toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramina bilaterally but without direct neural compression.
L3-4: There's a central 2-3mm disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral thecal sac & contributing to a mild degree of aquired central stenosis. No significant foraminal encroahment is identified.
L4-5: There's a slight flattening of the posterior disc contour. There's mild hypertrophic change of the facet joints. Slight extension of the disc toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramen but below the level of the exiting nerve roots. There's mild hypertrophy of the facet joints.
L5-S1: No discrete disc protrusion is indentified. No definite central foraminal stenosis noted.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:39 PM   #4

need2fuse HB User
hi hun,
like my high tech answers?
bet the leg stuff is from the stenosis and the shoulder and hand from the foraman narrowing. Have they done any nerve testing yet?
It all kinda reads like a horror novel doesn't it?

sue

Old 06-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #5

DogGroomer HB User
No nerve tests as of yet. I had another MRI done this morning on my lower back & I have an appointment with a NS on Monday. This all triggered on 05/29/03 at work when I was trying to put an unruly dog into the bath tub.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:51 PM   #6

Midge130 HB User
Thumbs up

DogGroomer,
Hi! And Welcome!! An osteophyte is a bone spur(s). Stenosis is the bone spur pushing on your spinal cord. I have bone spurs too, and it's causing me to have: headaches, arm, shoulder, and neck weakness, shoulder, neck, and back pain, and tingling in upper/mid back. I'm seeing my NS on Monday too!! I'm getting my myelogram results and scheduling my surgery.

Midge

------------------
-Born a premie in 1964-8 wks early
-C-section 1990
-C-section 1992
-C-section 1995
-Shoulder pain since 2000
-C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
-C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
-C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
-C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
-Myelogram 6-5-03
-Surgery-unknown yet, probably in 7-03
-C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
-C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
-C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
-C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
-No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!

Old 06-13-2003, 07:05 PM   #7

DogGroomer HB User
Hi Midge!

How does this occur in the first place? What are the causes? I'm a Dog Groomer & I really didn't feel numbness in my arm until I started grooming. It wasn't until my accident with that dog just seemed to trigger everything. Since then, the numbness hasn't gone away & same goes with my left shoulder, my tail bone.

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 06-13-2003, 09:07 PM   #8

DogGroomer HB User
6/16/03 MRI Lumbar Spine Results
Impression:
1. Degenerative Lumbar disc disease L3-4 with a nearly 3mm broad based central disc protrussion mildly effacing the ventral aspect of the thecal sac at this level.

2. Mild Annular Buldge of the L4-5 disc seen in association with mild facet hypertrophy. The disc extends toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramina bilaterally but without direct neural compression.
L3-4: There is a central 2-3mm disc protrusion mildly effacing the ventral thecal sac & contributing to a mild degree of aquired central stenosis. no significant foraminal encroachment is identified.

L4-5: There's a slight flattening of the posterior disc contour. There's mild hypertrophic change of the facet joints. There's slight extension of the disc toward the inferior recesses of the exit foramen but below the level of the exiting nerve roots. There's mild hypertrophy of the facet joints.

L5-S1: no discrete disc protrusion is indentified. No definite central foraminal stenosis is noted.

------------------
Injured @ work on 5/29/03
6/5/03 MRI Cervical Spine Results
C2-3: Disc normal in height. Mild bulging posterior annulus. No central canal stenosis present.

[This message has been edited by DogGroomer (edited 06-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by DogGroomer (edited 06-16-2003).]

Old 06-13-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi DogGroomer,

Just wanted to welcome you to our awesome little neck of the woods...Hope you enjoy your stay...I'm sorry for what has brought you here but be assured these guys will help in any way they can...I look forward to seeing you around.

Take Care,
Joanne

------------------
  • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
  • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
  • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
  • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 PM   #10

DogGroomer HB User
Talking

Joprud...

Thank you! I will definitely be on this board. ALOT!!! God only knows that most of the members here have been through an awful lot and the support & warm welcomes are a true blessing.

------------------
Injured @ work on 5/29/03
6/5/03 MRI Cervical Spine Results
C2-3: Disc normal in height. Mild bulging posterior annulus. No central canal stenosis present.

Old 06-14-2003, 03:11 AM   #11

need2fuse HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by DogGroomer:

How does this occur in the first place? What are the causes? I'm a Dog Groomer & I really didn't feel numbness in my arm until I started grooming. It wasn't until my accident with that dog just seemed to trigger everything.
morning! ok, got my coffee =-)
osteophytes (bone spurs) grow as part of an aging or degenerative process... or can come about (like me) in that the neck is trying to stabelize itself. It can be a slow process. (mine grew out in about 3 years time reacting to instability) As they grow and press on the cord, you may have noticed symptoms.... you may not. I bet if you think back.. you may remember some times that weird stuff happened, dropping glasses or something. A lot of times, it happens so slowly that these wonderful bodies of ours compensate for it.
Now you do have some disc extrusion... so it sounds like maybe when you were hauling that dog around, something gave? poof, symptoms. Area is already funky.. since it is growing those spurs.... just needed a *shove* to go wonky on ya.
Things can go downhill pretty suddenly sometimes. And you feel like.. where did ALL this come from?

there ya have it, more high tech morning coffee ramble from sue. =)

oh ps, you may have started noticed the numbness grooming because I bet that work is all out in front of you? Head hung forward?
sue

Old 06-14-2003, 04:26 AM   #12

DogGroomer HB User
Hey Sue!!!

Boy...did you ever hit the nail right on the head!!! Been down for only 2 weeks & it seems like 2 years! Iv'e hardly slept at all. I'm already depressed & bored. Iv'e never been through this type of thing before. My second MRI for my lower back was scheduled Monday & they had to stop because I freaked out in the middle of the proceedure so, I went yesterday with 2 Somas in my system so I could relax. I hate taking the pills. (Vicadin, Soma) I don't like the way they make me feel. I'm happy to have found this board. It's good to know that there are people out there that understand. To be quite honest with you...I'm scared to death. Thanks for listening & I appreciate you guys being there.

Carolyn

Old 06-14-2003, 04:50 AM   #13

need2fuse HB User
so they are doing the lower MRI to see if you have stuff there causing the leg troubles.... guess the mild stenosis in the cervical is not enough to be causing that? when will you get the report on that?

hang in there.... try not to be too scared. we are all out here and been there..... doing that.... so you are not alone =)

Are you still able to work hun?

geeez I hate the meds too. they really make me cranky..

sue

Old 06-14-2003, 05:01 AM   #14

DogGroomer HB User
I should be receiving the written report on Tuesday and I have an appointment with the neurologist on Monday. As far as work is concerned. Here's the scarry part (only because Iv'e heard so many horror stories) I'm currently seeing Company Doctors. In other words WC. I'm on what the Company calls Temporary/Total Disability. No problems so far...except last week my General Manager tried to lure me into work before I received the a-ok from the Doctors. Tried to offer me leave of absence. Trust me...I didn't fall for it.

Old 06-14-2003, 10:16 AM   #15
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
HI Dog Groomer,
Just wanted to add my hello and welcome. Sorry you had to find us because of injury, but you have found a unique and caring group.
This must be so frustrating, having the symptoms and trying to learn what everything means.
Well , stenosis means narrowing
Central canal is the opening in the vertabra for your spinal cord
Neural foramina,is the opening where the nerve root exits the spinal cord
Osteophyte, bone overgrowth/ spur, these can be the result of arthritis, and or the result of disc problems and instability in the spine and the body attempts to correct this with extra bone growth.

So the stenosis of the neural foramina, can cause compression of the nerve root, which can result in burning, aching, numbness, sharp pain.
Of most concern is central canal stenosis becasue this narrowing can effect your spinal cord.

Learn as much as you can, do some online searches of stenosis and disc herniations. Most important is to let your dr know of any unusual sensations or symptoms.The symptoms mean more than the actual picture, people react differently to compression or stenosis. Some people can have up to 50% of their cord compressed and have minimal or no symptoms, and for others minimal narrowing results in multiple symptoms.
so please listen to your body and anything out of the ordinary should be reported to your DR.
I hope you find some pain relief and get some rest. This is a great support and learning board. Make yourself at home, be yourself.
Once again , welcome Mel

------------------
Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
loss of lordotic curve
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Closed Thread