It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2003, 04:09 PM   #1
Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
Question Workers Comp ......Should you hire a lawyer?

Hello,
I wanted to ask if I should hire a lawyer? I was hurt on the job and as of this minute,WC has treated me somewhat OK but I'm sure that could change at anytime. Would it help or hurt? I just want to make sure they keep doing what they should.

My NS released me to return to work in two weeks. I went to my local doctor and he said that was crazy. He's keeping me off work for another 4 to 6 weeks at least.Ordered more steriods for the swelling and Zinc for the terrible taste when I eat. He said that my help and if it don't, it's a great starting place. At least my local doctor is atempting something instead of saying your ready for work in two weeks.

My local doctor has me going to PT 3 times a week. That makes more sense than what my NS's nurse was telling me, that I was healed as much as I was going to.

One more question before I run. What will WC think about my local doctor keeping me off work when my NS said I could go back?

I hope everyone is doing well.
Thanks,
Harvey

------------------
Three Level C 4-5,5-6,6-7...Fusion, Grafts and plating.

[This message has been edited by firefighter_101 (edited 06-25-2003).]

Old 06-25-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
Most definately hire an attorney. Work Comp is just like insurance companies. There in it for the money & the less they have to put out the better off they are. Hiring an attorney who knows their little sneaky tricks will be in your favor. Good Luck Cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2003, 05:06 PM   #3

mothmin HB User
Angry

Absolutly! I got totally screwed y w/c. they would only let me see a resident at the urgent care...who said I had "tendonitis!!!!" for two years I kept working in pain. then I finally broke down and went to a real dr. who ordered mri. My spinal cord was so bent, they ordered surgery right then. A lawyer would have gotton me right in to see a real dr. and would have been done two years ago...plus retrained for something else.-------my surgeon said one year to totally fuse, but could work after 3 months.

Old 06-25-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
Harvey -

You are your number one advocate. My NS told me I could return to work after my 1 month follow up. My GP back doc took one look at me, ran some strength tests and said, "I don't think so." Since my surgery was not work related, I stayed out the extra month and did my PT and I was better off for it.

I will give kudos to my boss during that time. He was very kind to me. During my recovery from my ACDF, my dad passed away, so part of that 2 months off was to take care of that sad business.

jdog

Old 06-26-2003, 01:35 PM   #5

jbell95 HB User
Red face

Hi, I would recommend that you do at least interview a few attorneys if you are not quite sure if you want to hire one at this time.

I was injured at work in December and they were sooo helpful....until it looked like I wasn't getting better and I kept running up the company's bills $$$. Then I started hearing "work comp isn't going to pay for this, or that, blah, blah." "You need to come back to work." I am a labor and delivery nurse. I drop things due to weakness in my left arm...would you want me around your newborn?

I haven't worked since early March and despite a neurologist saying that I was injured at work and can not work, my employer still will not authorize disability benefits. I had to get an attorney to represent me in an upcoming hearing.

Not everyone has a hard time, you may not need an attorney...or you might. Shop around. At least you'll find out about the benefits that you are due. Sometimes insurance companies don't tell you everything that you are entitled to as an injured worker. Take care of yourself and I wish you a speedy and successful recovery. Jasmine

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
Hello All,
It sounds like I should hire one from what everyone is saying. I just hated to get that started but I'm like you, I have to do this to protect myself later.

Thanks to all,
Harvey

------------------
Three Level C 4-5,5-6,6-7...Fusion, Grafts and plating.Bone Growth Stimulator worn all the time.

Old 06-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #7

ladyblue HB User
Firefighter,

The answer is a resounding YES!!!
I too am a work comp case. Because of the wealth of information that I got from a family member who went thru this mess awile ago I am better off. I have THE BEST work comp attorney we have in our fair state. If you would like a referral I would be glad to tell ya who he is. You as am I am entitled to a bunch of stuff that work comp will not tell you about. My attorney is cool: one-he used to be the lawyer FOR the work comp commission, two-he then switched to working FOR them employers, 3-NOW he works for us poor injured souls. So he knows very well all the ins and outs and all the tricks they are going to try to pull on you.

Did you know that you will be given a "disability" rating or what w/c comp calls an "impairment" rating and for this you will be given monitary compensation?

Did you know that if your NS is being psycho and saying that you should be fine to go to work he will find you a sensible doc that knows what he is doing and what is best for you?

Did you know that IF you are not able to perform the work you did previously and your fire dept says that you are no longer able to do the job for which you were hired they can be in big big trouble (translate this into a hefty money fine). AND that if you cant do what you did previously your employer CANT fire you but is supposed to create a position for you at the exact SAME pay rate?

Did you know that if you are unable to do the work and you employer is willing to take the fine hit that work comp has what is called Vocational Rehab and that you are entitled to be retrained for some other type of work?

My attorney told me two things: one all you need to do is HEAL and two all you need to do is figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life (career wise) because basically I am done being a street officer.

My attorney is here in Conway, BUT he handles work comp clients ALL OVER the state. HE is just a phone call away. Also, he dont make one single dime until he gets the settlement from work comp, so you dont have to worry about paying him anything out of pocket. And trust me.....the monetary settlement for such injuries as we have sustained is not anything to scoff at. NO, it doesnt replace total health, but it does soften the blow a bit. Also, work comp will try to say that they will only cover your neck for XX amount of years from the original injury...the attorney gets it to where W/C basically owns any medical stuff related to our necks from now until eternity.

If I can help you just let me know.....I am right there where you are and I know what you are going thru.

Happy healing,
Lisa

Old 06-26-2003, 10:32 PM   #8
Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
ladyblue,
Yes, I would like his name. I know I'm getting the run around from my NS and from WC. Your thru Municipal League Workers Compensation Trust aren't you?

Please forward his name, maybe he can help me with some other problems like my throat trouble as well.

Thanks,
Harvey

------------------
Three Level C 4-5,5-6,6-7...Fusion, Grafts and plating.Bone Growth Stimulator worn all the time.

Old 06-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi Firefighter,
I just wanted to jump in and agree with everyone else here. You need to protect yourself. WC and Auto ins, are all the same , they will treat you pretty fair as long as you arent really hurt < and dont need their ongoing support and care. You need to protect yourself and your rights to fair treatment, and protect your health and income abilities.
As for your NS saying to go back to work, that is scary. I responded to that post earlier. I am glad that your primary is aware and taking care of this for you.
I wish you all of the best, take care ,
Mel

------------------
Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
loss of lordotic curve
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 06-27-2003, 08:44 PM   #10

ladyblue HB User
Firefighter,

His name is Tom Mikel and his phone number is 328-5500. When you call a super nice lady by the name of Elizabeth will most likely answer the phone. She is his right hand gal and can answer so many of your questions. I too have swallowing trouble, and also major voice problems which I thought would have cleared up or at least gotten better by now. Good luck.
Lisa

Old 06-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #11
Inactive

firefighter_101 HB User
Smile

ladyblue,
Thanks! I have been waiting on your call. I will give Tom a call tomorrow or Monday for sure.

I hope your feeling better, you should check with Tom on how you were treated at the hospital. I'm still in shock when i think how terrible you were treated. Who was your surgeon?

Thanks again,
Harvey

------------------

Closed Thread