It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
Inactive

joprud HB User
Question Facial pins and needles and muscle twitches

I am a 47 year old female 5'2 approx. 125 lbs.
What could be some possible causes of pins and needles in the right side of my face and more recently my nose on occasion as well and muscle twitching around the eye and or eyelid and or jaw line which occur almost daily to varying degrees. This has been going on since June of last year.( 9 months). I had a MRI of the head and spine in Oct. of last year. The neurologist said he found no cause for this on the brain scan. The spine scan showed DDD, a lot of problems in my cervical spine ( disc herniations, protrusions, perineural cyst, etc) and lumbar spine (disc bulge, protrusion, tear in annulus fibrosis, spinal stenosis etc.), perineural cyst at S1- S2 as well as mild left convex scoliosis of mid thoracic spine. Could the problems in the cervical spine cause this problem in my face or is this not connected in any way? The neuro seems to be stumped http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif and although it is only an annoyance and I can easily live with it, ( if I can live with all the back pain and related problems there, I can certainly live with this.), I am still concerned about what might be causing this. Any info anyone might have would be appreciated. Thank you for any info you may be able to provide.

Take Care,
Joanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2003, 10:54 PM   #2
Inactive

joprud HB User
bump

------------------
  • Diagnosed DDD 1993
  • C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing v t s .Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing v t s . Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C7-T1 Small perineural cysts present in both neural foramina.
  • left convex scoliosis of mid thoracic spine. wedging of T7. wedging of T5 .degenerative end plate changes at T8-T9
  • L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing v t s. hypertrophy of facet joints, minimal central spinal stenosis.
  • L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.
  • S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2003, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi Joanne,
welcome.While I can not answer your question definately, I know that i am always asked if I have any facial pins and needles or numbness. So it could be related.
I see that you are from Ontario, whereabouts ?, I live in the Niagara Region. I realize how confusing this all is, the symptoms are so varied, and individual.It seems that there are some things that are consistent between people, and others that are quite unique. Even when looking at spinal cord compression, some people will be without symptoms and have alot of compression. While others have only mild compression but multple ,severe symptoms. It is all based on the individuals body and how it compensates for the damage.
I hope this helps a bit,
Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-12-2003, 11:59 AM   #4
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi Mel,

Thanks for the reply.
WOW, I see you're from Welland, we lived in Welland for a few years but we are now in St.Catharines.

I agree about the symptoms being so weird and varied, sometimes I feel like the Drs. are going to, or do, think I'm nuts when I try to describe what's going on with my body. That's why these boards are so great, they help you to realize that you're not crazy and not alone.

I went for my physio today and asked her about the facial pins and needles and she said that yes it is a definite possibility (not that she was diagnosing, just saying it is possible). Now, had my neuro not misplaced my MRI when I went to see him, http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif maybe he would have been able to make this diagnosis.
But since I had only discussed the lower back problems with him during my visit and he hadn't had a really good look at the MRI and could only remember vaguely some of the things on there (the report was two pages long), he probably wasn't even aware of the cervical problems. He told me to call him the following week to discuss the MRI findings so I did.... Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri, and he never returned my call (what a jerk)so I gave up and told his receptionist to just send me a copy of the report and I'd figure it out for myself, so that's what I continue to do.

I've posted on the "back problems" board a couple of times but I'm new to this one. What problems are you dealing with? I'll have to go back and read some old posts and catch up.

Anyhoo... I gotta go for now, I'm expecting a buddy to drop by shortly. I hope to hear from you again.

Hope everyone has a good day and even better tomorrows!

Take Care
Joanne

------------------
  • Diagnosed DDD 1993
  • C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing v t s .Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing v t s . Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C7-T1 Small perineural cysts present in both neural foramina.
  • left convex scoliosis of mid thoracic spine. wedging of T7. wedging of T5 .degenerative end plate changes at T8-T9
  • L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing v t s. hypertrophy of facet joints, minimal central spinal stenosis.
  • L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.
  • S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi Joanne,
wow, what a small world. I am dealing with increasing difficulty walking, no arm strength, no leg strength. Bladder problems, the killer neuro headaches 2-3days per week. Pain,burning, neck,arms, legs. I no longer have a sense of where my legs are(sometimes my hands/arms at night). Oh yeah! and no balance. My MRI reads: widespread cervical stenosis, centrally herniated discs at C5-6,C6-7 with pronounced cord compression dorsally, as well as anterior compression at these levels. The NS suspects that there is no spinal fluid flow or greatly diminished.And that I have myelopathy.
I leave for Chicago for surgical consult this Sunday. No more crappy waiting lists for me.I dont know about you , but I have not been impressed with the system here. And I work in it! Where or who is the neurosurgeon that you see? Where do you go for physio?
I go to K Yardley (in Fonthill) for physio, they are great.
Have you had any treatment yet?
So far I have had all of the anti-inflammatories and 18 para vertabral injections. Not much fun.
Talk to you soon.
Mel
ps. cant forget the osteophytes.

[This message has been edited by melanie dawn (edited 02-12-2003).]

Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-13-2003, 08:46 AM   #6
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi Mel,

I am so sorry that you are suffering so much. My symptoms are not nearly as severe.
Most severe pain is in the lumbar region.
Between 1993 and now I have had numerous flare ups. These flare ups would usually last from 1 to 3 weeks,increasing in frequency. Starting Jan.2002, things got much worse. I have been in pain all day every day, varying types of pain and to varying degrees. AT times pain is in my hips and butt as well. I am experiencing pins and needles (most particularly my right leg from the knee to my toes), aching and weakness in my legs, occasionally up into my hips. Occasional drop foot. Also experiencing pins and needles in my arms from the elbow to my fingers to varying degrees now constantly when lying down (off and on other times but mostly when lying down) Sitting for long is out of the question, on my worst days I can’t even go 5 mins. Standing for too long can also become more painful. Love to walk and normally I’m fine, but occasionally walking causes the pain in my back to get worse 2 steps – stop due to excruciating shooting pain up my back – few more steps in barely bearable pain — stop shooting pain – etc. This has happened a few times. ( Hubby bought me a cell phone to take with me on my walks fearing this would happen while I was alone and I'd be stranded. What a sweety http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif
Pins and needles in legs when squatting. Lying down is most often the most comfortable but lately and occasionally in the past it is still painful. (although still better.) Pins and needles and/or what feels like mild vibrating in legs often when lying down. Occasional restless leg syndrome. Pins and needles in legs periodically when sitting. And of course the facial pins and needles and muscle twitching mentioned in my first post.
I hope your consult in Chicago goes well, I hope he/she is someone who'll listen and care ( unlike mine)
I DEFINITLY agree that the system here STINKS!!!
My neuro was Dr. Turnbull in Hamilton http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif
All he suggested was to find a new job not as physical and to find myself some strengthening exercises to do. I was too scared to try something on my own for fear of doing more damage so my hubby asked an aquaintance of his, who is a Doc in Welland actually, if he could get me a refferal for physio and perscribe me some meds. I just started my meds and physio the end of last month so no affect yet, hopefully soon.
My physio is here in St. Kits. She is very nice and far more helpful and informative than any of the docs.

Again, please keep me posted on how things go in Chicago. I hope they can do something for you and that you'll finally get some relief.

I love these boards but I gotta admit it makes me sad that so many people are suffering so much. I wish there was something I could do to help each and every one of them.

One more thing quickly: On a good note, I just got a new job today as a supply teacher at a daycare.
WOOHOO http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif I SO LOVE KIDS.

Anyhoo.... I've rambled on enough for now http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Talk to ya soon I hope.

Take Care
Joanne

Old 02-19-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
Inactive

joprud HB User

bump

Old 02-24-2003, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
HI Joanne,
Just popped in to say hello, and I hope this note finds you well. Thanks for you kind thoughts
and words. As you have read I am a mess.
I'm happy for you with the new job! HOw is it going?
Take care of yourself, hope to hear from you soon
Mel

Old 06-15-2003, 04:38 PM   #9

Lucille711 HB User
Mel,
I just happened to come across your and Joann's e-mails while trying to figure out what is going on with me. What you described is exactly how I've been feeling lately. I feel that my legs are not as much a part of me as they once were! I also have muscles changes, especially in my legs. The muscles appear to be thickening, not sure how else to describe it. I have been to five doctors but am not getting any answers. This thing is so weird, whatever it is. I hope you get this and will reply.
Thanks,
Myra

Old 06-16-2003, 01:02 AM   #10
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi Myra,

Welcome Aboard...I'm glad you found us...Mel should be along soon...if she doesn't catch this one perhaps you could start a new thread (topic)...I'm so sorry that your docs have not been able to find any answers for you...Could you maybe provide more info...Have you had an MRI?...If so what did it show?...Any other tests etc?...The more info you can provide the better we can help...at least I hope we can...Hope to hear from you soon...Again Welcome.

Take Care,
Joanne

------------------
  • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
  • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
  • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
  • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Old 06-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Hi Joanne,

Sorry to hear about the pins and needles and facial twitches. Do you also get headaches? I do and have a torn disc c5/6 where they seem to come from. Like Mel said it's all related and I know I have had weird sensations in my face, jaw and a twitchy eye when I get the shocker headaches. Take care,
Mel

Old 06-16-2003, 11:25 AM   #12
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hello Myra,
welcome to our spiney family. You will find yourself amidst a wonderful group of people here. The support , compassion and sharing I have found here have truly been a life line, and a tremendous experience for me.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, can you tell me a little more about yourself, any other symptoms,testing and diagnosis etc.
I look forward to hearing from you, and once more welcome aboard.
Mel

------------------
Congenital Cervical Stenosis,complicated by:
Paracentral Disc herniations ,bone spurs C4/5,C5/6,C6/7
loss of lordotic curve

Old 06-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #13
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi mel333,

Yes I do get those killer spinal headaches...fortunately I only get them occasionally...But usually when I get them they're bad and come along when I'm having a bad flare...every once in awhile like tonight I get a mild one annoying but bearable...the pins and needles and facial twitches aren't always connected to the headaches for me though...although tonight with this mild headache I am having mild pins and needles.

Take Care
Joanne

------------------
  • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
  • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
  • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
  • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:27 PM   #14

feel_like_im_drowning HB User
Holycow, I'm glad I found you guys...I've got the same thing going on, now on a *@#!ing waiting list for 2 months to see the neurologist -- facial twitches, numbness, pins and needles, pain in the ear, numbness in my tongue, muscle tension in face and in neck, and the lovely spiderweb sensation in various places. Is any of this stress-related? All I know is that it's difficult to get to sleep 'cause of what you might be pushing around in that cervical spine area...It sure helps to know I'm not alone in all this 'cause it often feels that way.

Peace,
dRowning...(Mike)

Old 06-19-2003, 10:13 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Hi Joanne,
I'm sorry you get the headaches, yuk! Yours do sound more like nerve related pain. Are you still looking into possible surgery? Do you take Neurontin? I just started it tonight and am nervous. How silly am I after years of med taking a new one still scares me. Hope your feeling ok today.
Mike,
Your pain should be checked as it sounds like it's getting frustrating. Perhaps an MRI may show any cervical problems with discs or a brain MRI for other conditions like trigeminal neuralgia(pins and needles down the face, occipital neuralgis(headaches)etc. There are lots of good websites out there on these conditions and it's hard to work out what's happening as they all overlap somewhat. You could always get an MRI referral in the mean time from your dr whilst you wait to see the neurologist. Have you had any tests? It does sound like more than stress. Take care,
Mel

Closed Thread