It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #1

airedale HB User
Post Bone spurs C4-5 and C6-7

Hi. I found this site last night. It is wonderful. I am hoping I'll get some guidance or information from those who have traveled the road I have found myself on. I am a 51 year old female, very active and have worked in an office setting for 32 years. I began experiencing a pain from the top of my skull down the left side of my head and neck to my shoulder in January 2003. I began treatment/counseling for depression and anxiety in May. In July, the doctors ordered a CT scan and MRI because the pain had not subsided. I have been told that I have bone spurs at C4-5 and C6-7. No herniated or slipped discs. Added to that good news was the fact that the pain was finally acknowledged as real and had a cause. The neurologist is suggesting physical therapy although he added that he did not feel it would help. I am so confused and am trying to cope with the changes occuring in my body and in my life. I don't know what to expect or what questions to ask. I do not know any of the proper "lingo" for this condition but I hope some of you who have been where I am can enlightened and guide me. Thanks so much! JP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 06:46 AM   #2
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi airedale,

bumping....

Welcome Aboard...gonna be late for my pick-up...will talk later

Me

------------------
  • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
  • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
  • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
  • So far have tried: meds,physio,acupuncture all to no avail.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 07:15 AM   #3

Midge130 HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Airedale
Welcome!! This is a great place for friendship and support.

I have bone spurs at C4-5, C6-7, and C7-T1. The worst one is at C4-5. It's pushing on my spinal cord which is called cervical stenosis. I've had pain and weakness in my left arm/shoulder for 3 yrs before anything else showed up. About 6 months ago the pain got worse, having some mild pain in mid-upper back, tingling in upper back, and pain in back of neck.

Last month I had x-rays, myelogram, and CT Scan done. The NS (neurosurgeon) said that I wasn't bad enough for surgery. (because that's the only thing that will fix it) I asked when would I be a candidate for surgery, he said when I have trouble walking, which will be anywhere from 1-15 yrs. I was MAD!! Why should I wait yrs in pain?? So I went back to my primary doc and she didn't like what he said. So now she ordered an EMG to see if there's any nerve damage in my arm/shoulder area. And then after that, I HOPE I'll be seeing another NS.

That's my story so far. I hope it helped you a little bit.

Midge

------------------
-Born a premie in 1964-8 wks early
-C-section 1990, 1992, & 1995
-Shoulder pain since 2000
-C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
-C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
-C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
-C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
-No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!
-C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
-C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
-C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
-C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
-No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!

Old 07-22-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User
Hi Airedale,
Welcome aboard!!

I also had bone spurs at c6-7. I had surgery on 6/4/2003 to correct the problem. First thing you should do is ( as Midge mentioned) is to have an EMG to see if there is nerve damage. You should also see if you have spinal stenosis from the spurs. It can be very dangerous if left untreated. I hope we can all give you some info. to help you out. Good luck .

Lori

Laminectomy L4-5 2001
ACDF C5-6-7 10/2002
POSTERIOR LAMINECTOMY/FORAMINOTOMY C6-7 6/4/03
STAPH INFECTION/HOSPITAL 7/4- 7/9/2003

Old 07-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #5

airedale HB User
Hey Midge and Lorirat! Thank you for responding. My neurologist says that I will have to have physical therapy before the insurance will approve any other procedure. He seems to feel the physical therapy will only make the pain worse. That does not make sense to me and certainly doesn't give me much to look forward to. Have you continued to work while enduring this pain and tingling/numbness. I feel like a hot dagger is being twisted in my neck after I sit still for any length of time. I spend so much time in front of a monitor at my job and can't find a position that is comfortable. Please, keep me posted on yourselves and tell me more. It's great to know I don't have to go this alone. JP http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 07-23-2003, 06:36 AM   #6
(female)

more HB User
I also went through the PT because the insurance company would not pay for an MRI until I tried other conservative measures (even though I had done the PT prior to going for acupuncture and trigger point injections). The PT did not work and at the 4-6 week mark my Physical Therapist wrote a note to the doctor explaining the PT was not doing anything but make the pain worse. The doctor sent this to the insurance company and they overrode the no MRI until after conservative measures were tried - so give it a try.

Good Luck - I think before they can turn you down for something a doctor recommends the insurance people should have to go through the pain that we are.

The one thing my doctor

[This message has been edited by more (edited 07-23-2003).]

Closed Thread