It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 10:46 AM   #1

rejohnson20 HB User
Post Anyone with similar problem?

After suffering with poor since of balance, weakness, pain and numbness on the left side (hand and foot) was diagnoised with herinated disc at C4-5 and C6-7. Also had spots on the spine, now diagonised as Myelomalacia. Surgery done March 2003, first removed bones from rear of neck, removed bone spurs, than from front removed disc at C4-5, and C6-7 put donor bone in and plate with 6 screws.

Today pain in hands, thumb and first 2 fingers still persist. After returning to NS several times with pain carpal tunnel came up. I do not experience the pain as coming down from the neck, it starts in the fingers and goes up, sometimes arm is painful. Went to Neuro for nerve studies, his report said 3 possible causes, Diabetes (Type II, meds only) spots on spine, Carpal Tunnel.

Went thru PT with ultra sound, medication into hand with use of electrical, manual massage and exercises with no relief from pain.

Now must decide if surgery for carpal tunnel is the thing to do. NS recommends it.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Thanks for the advise.
Bob

Old 09-08-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User
Hey there,
I had herniated 5-6 and 6-7 and experience the pain and weakness you mention. Also, my balance was off and I had some wetting problems--all from spinal cord compression at the time. I did have the neck surgery/fusion and the worst of the problems subsided. I don't know anything about carpal tunnel, but as is the case with all types of surgery, it would be best for you to get a second opinion.
Best of luck,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 07:32 PM   #3
Inactive

PainInTheNeckJackie HB User
Hey Bob. I have a herniated C5-6/6-7. I am awaiting the EMG/NCV results from Friday. I possibly have carpal tunnel along with the nerve damage. Keep up the hope... WE've all got to get better

------------------
Jackie
Left paramedian subligamentous herniation C5-C6 causing left foraminal stenosis and cord compression;
------------------------
Right paramedian subligamentous herniation at C6-C7, abutted against the vetral aspect of the spinal cord

Old 09-08-2003, 11:22 PM   #4
(female)

lifeonhold2003 HB User
Please see my post on 6/24. I would definitely get a second opinion before have the carpal tunnel surgery. Good Luck.

------------------
AKA: Julie

4/23/03 - Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/Fusion C5/6 - donor bone with titanium plate, 4 screws, no collar post-op

4/23/03 - Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/Fusion C5/6 - donor bone with titanium plate, 4 screws, no collar post-op

Old 09-09-2003, 05:52 AM   #5
Inactive

PainInTheNeckJackie HB User
Julie, I've also been told NOT to get the carpal tunnel surgery because the problems just come back with a vengeance. Not advisable! After the carpal tunnel release, the pressure just builds back up again.

------------------
Jackie
Left paramedian subligamentous herniation C5-C6 causing left foraminal stenosis and cord compression;
------------------------
Right paramedian subligamentous herniation at C6-C7, abutted against the vetral aspect of the spinal cord

Old 09-09-2003, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Smile

Hi,

I had Carpal Tunnel surgery 12 years ago. It's been great. I had suffered for 22 years with the tingling and numbness, since my first pregnancy. Back then I was bounced around and nobody knew what it was. Then I was told I wasn't bad enough.

When I finally demanded surgery I couldn't drive around the block and I couldn't hold a pen. The last thing I had before surgery was an EMG. I told the doctor that I had had the problem for a few months. Looking at the test results he told me there was no way I could have gotten that bad in a few months!

Get a good doctor, and pray. My results have been great!

fly

Old 09-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #7

rejohnson20 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by lifeonhold2003:
Please see my post on 6/24. I would definitely get a second opinion before have the carpal tunnel surgery. Good Luck.

Julie:
Sure hope I'm using the quote command correctly

I've read several of your post from 6/24. My office is in Destin, Fl. (Architect), read of your daughters marriage.
How are you doing now?
My pain continues after having surgery in March 2003. I am also being told all this could improve with time. But no improvement maybe even worse in 6 months since surgery.
Bob

Old 09-10-2003, 04:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Unhappy

re,

Actually, 18 years before I had the carpal tunnel surgery, when they really didn't know what was wrong, I had a muscle slit in my shoulder. The surgeon cut by my collar bone. I was told that they might remove one of my ribs! I'm female and I went into the surgery joking sex change! Thankfully it didn't come to that.

A later doctor said that what I had had done was archaic! It had helped a little. Since I finally had the carpal tunnel surgery, 12 years ago, I've had no numbness at all!

fly

Old 09-10-2003, 04:24 AM   #9

gryffindorfan HB User
That sounds like they thought you might have had thoracic outlet syndrome -- a nerve that runs under your armpit (I think) and down your arm that gets pinched. They once thought that was what was wrong with me because my numbness etc gets worse if my arms are extended...I read on the web that rib removal was an extreme treatment in some cases -- extreme?! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Old 09-10-2003, 07:21 AM   #10
(female)

lifeonhold2003 HB User
Hi Bob,
Actually, the wedding got called off one week prior to the date. Oh well, it was for the best. They are really to young, but you know you can't tell them anything. But we all went for our annual vacation anyway and had a good time.

I noticed you live in Mary Esther. I know your area well. We vacation at Marina Bay Resort in Ft. Walton every summer (11 yrs).

I am not doing well either. This numbness is really bothering me (scary). In fact, I am going to try to get a hold of my NS today to see what he thinks. But that's not always so easy. I had an MRI on my lumbar area on 8/13 and still have not heard back from him regarding the results. I've not been happy with my NS at all, but that's a whole other story. I'm sure you've read bits and pieces here and there on other posts.
Julie

Closed Thread