It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #1

Beeyes HB User
Post ACDF -- My bone or cadaver bone?

Hello Board...first post..

I have ACDF c4/5 and c5/6 sceduled for 10/3/03. I am obviousely a little nervous about the whole thing. One thing I cannot seem to make a decision on is the bone doner. I am a healthy 35 year old non smoking male. The first neurosurgeon I saw explained the procedure using a cadaver bone, not even offering an option of my own bone.
The second neuro(the one doing the surgury) explained the procedure using my own bone. Only after I asked about cadaver bone, did he discuss it with me. My neuro actually has a orthopedic surgeon do the bone part, and he recommends using my own bone.

So, I am aware of the good and bad of going each way, but wanted to hear other people's real experiences. I am concerned that if I use my own bone, the pain in my hip will be horrible for an extended period. And I am also afraid that the cadaver bone will not fuse correctly.

I am willing to go through a week or so of hip pain to increase my odds of fusion, but if its 2-3 months of pain, I may not! I was told odds of fusion are about 97% with my own bone and about 92% with cadaver bone. I was also told that using my own bone can cut the neck brace time in half although the hospital stay is more likely to be 2 night instead of 1 with cadaver bone.

HELP, I need your input!

Brett

Old 09-19-2003, 02:10 PM   #2
Inactive

mistyone HB User
i hate to be he one who says this to you but if you use your own bone out from your hip, it is goning to be alot longer than an extra week to heal from that site!!! reads some of the posts here or my posts about the experience of the meaning of the word pain is.....i couldnt think of anything bad enough to callit.....it was as bad as the other operation or worse..... i had donor bone for the front of my neck c 5-6-7 and my bone for the back of my neck c-5-6-7....donor bone will fuse ok so long as you dont smoke...I didnt smoke. my doctor made more money off of my hip bone operation to bill the insurance company..mistyone

------------------
sept 02 nasty car crash by drunk driver. got C5-6-7 HNP, T-7-8 bulge, 8-9, 10-11 HNP, L 5 L3 S1 lateral recess, ACDF with my hip on right side, posterior CDF w 11 screws and 4 plates, hareware has to come out in feb 04 when the bone has matured. my n/s quit her practice an not i am up the creek trying to find another n/s or orthopod to help me as they are all fearful of malpractice where the other doctor was.....not on pain meds but on xanax 1 mg and effexor 75 mgs. have torn right rotator cuff w/ some DDD thrown in for good meaure. have left hand dominant CTS and not a happy camper right now....

[This message has been edited by mistyone (edited 09-19-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 02:27 PM   #3

delahoo HB User
Hi Brett,
I used donor bone because it was what my NS recommended. He said using your own bone is more painful than the actual ACDF. Of course, he also said I'd have the collar off in 6-8 weeks and I'm now looking at 12+. I didn't really have much time to decide or research it because I literally was admitted to the hospital for surgery an hour after meeting the NS for the first time (I was in pretty bad shape). If I had to do it over again I would probably go for my own bone, but hopefully I'll never be put in this situation again. I think my recovery is abnormally slow for a 31 year old nonsmoker.

Old 09-19-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
Inactive

mistyone HB User
hi- why dont you have the collar off yet? didnt they do an MRI on you at 2 months to see if it fused? i had mine off at 8 weeks but i wore an aspen collar 24/7 even in the shower....i got a torn rotator cuff from not being able to move my shoulders properly or i dont know maybe it was from my car crash, anyway, which ever the operation made it worse.....be careful ofthat shoulder.....i had my hip used and it was awful. i had pain there for 3-4 months after wards, and it is still senstive, the doc said perhaps as long as up to 1 yr after wards.....this is a VERY DEEP CUT into my back side cheek to the iliac crest......mistyone

------------------
sept 02 nasty car crash by drunk driver. got C5-6-7 HNP, T-7-8 bulge, 8-9, 10-11 HNP, L 5 L3 S1 lateral recess, ACDF with my hip on right side, posterior CDF w 11 screws and 4 plates, hareware has to come out in feb 04 when the bone has matured. my n/s quit her practice an not i am up the creek trying to find another n/s or orthopod to help me as they are all fearful of malpractice where the other doctor was.....not on pain meds but on xanax 1 mg and effexor 75 mgs. have torn right rotator cuff w/ some DDD thrown in for good meaure. have left hand dominant CTS and not a happy camper right now....

Old 09-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #5

delahoo HB User
My x-ray at 8 weeks showed that it wasn't as fused as it should be. I have another x-ray scheduled for 12 weeks post-op so I've got my fingers crossed.

[This message has been edited by delahoo (edited 09-19-2003).]

Old 09-19-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
Inactive

mistyone HB User
delahoo- i have my fingers crossed for you also,,,i new a girl who had to wear the damn thing for 8mos.....i hope that doesnt happen to you....good luck mistyone

------------------

Old 09-19-2003, 05:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Wink

Brett~

I had the very same levels done just last Dec. I donor bone (cadaver) or I should say my surgeon used.

You are right in saying that the site where they take the bone from you will be very sore for quit some time but using your own bone the fusion should take better. Remember not always. The donor bone if foreign to your body and may not take. Mine at this piont has

I am not sure if donor bone was used because I had the corpectomy at C5 or not. For my lumbar fusion I used my own bone from my hip and I am again happy to say it fused well. I was one of the lucky ones and the bone graft site didn't hurt much or for very long.

I am sorry I wasn't much help.

Shirl

------------------
Love,
Shirl
History:

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
1992- Fractional D&C
1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
1992- Fractional D&C
1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 09-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #8

dylan C5-6 HB User
Brett- I am scheduled for a ACDF with donor bone. Neuro said it was safe and much less painfull.

Delahoo- I see you ar closeby. Where did you have your surgery?
Dylan.

------------------
Hit in head by freight Elevator last August.
HNP C5-6 Small to Moderate in size, eccentric to the right and right paracentral in location. Associated nerve root displacement especially on the right. Associated effacement of the subarachnoid space @ C5-6. on root nerve.

Cervical Radiculopathy.
Chronic Cervicogenic Headaches.
1 Epidural(did not help)

Past Meds:
Elavil, Reglan, Relafen, Flexeril,
Nortriptyline, Feldene & Trazodone& Prednisone
Now taking:
900mgs Neurontin, Vicodin no more than twice a week.
Pnuematic traction unit
zero gravity chair

Cervical Radiculopathy.
1 Epidural(did not help)
ACDF W/donor bone & hardware 10.24.03
Sent Home 10.26.03 & then back Via Hellicopter for 2 more Nights.
Miami J collar 4 weeks
Fused @ 4 weeks!
3 weeks PT

Old 09-19-2003, 08:07 PM   #9

delahoo HB User
Dylan-
I had my surgery at Marin General. My NS is Archimedes Ramirez, he's the only NS in the entire county.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:13 AM   #10

dylan C5-6 HB User
Delahoo- I am either gonna have acdf at Santa Rosa Memorial or ADR at UC Davis.

Good luck on the fusing!

D

Cervical Radiculopathy.
1 Epidural(did not help)
ACDF W/donor bone & hardware 10.24.03
Sent Home 10.26.03 & then back Via Hellicopter for 2 more Nights.
Miami J collar 4 weeks
Fused @ 4 weeks!
3 weeks PT

Old 09-20-2003, 08:43 AM   #11

Beeyes HB User
Well, the sugeon who does the bone part of the surgury told me he has taken the bone from the hip over 600 times and has only had 2 people complain about pain problems. He says pain should be only a week, maybe 2. When I told him about stories i have heard, he said "Well, they didnt use me as their surgeon." A pretty egotistical statement, but not really a surprise coming from a surgeon, I guess. He said that the problems were both elderly people. He seemed very confident, as did my neuro. Is it possible that different surgeons take the bone in different ways, or slightly different spots? Does front/back of the hip make a diffeence?

Old 09-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #12

Tefkat HB User
Everyone seems to be talking about choosing between your own bone or cadaver bone. Don't they use cows over there? I wasn't given a choice, just told it would be American cow bone.

Yee haw!

Old 09-21-2003, 01:21 AM   #13
(female)

more HB User
I used my own bone and I had pain in the hip area for about one month. It was not excrutiating pain - more like a nagging pain when first starting to walk after being sedament for awhile. I was sent home from the hospital with a cane for walking on unsteady ground but only used it the first couple of weeks or if going into a crowded area (guess I felt seeing the cane would make other people more aware of a need for caution around me).

My surgeon (an orthopedic) never gave me the option of my bone or cadeaver bone.

As far as cow bone - I never heard of using animal bones - but would be leary of that with BSE issues.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:11 AM   #14

Beeyes HB User
Thanks for the responses....More, where did they take the bone from, back or front?

Brett

Old 09-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #15

Aurora2003 HB User
Hi Brett,

I had cadaver bone. My logic was this:

Why have 2 surgeries when I can get away with one?
Why have 2 scars when I can get away with one?

I fused just fine. Why go through the extra pain? Believe me, you're going to have plenty without adding to it.

Aurora

Closed Thread