It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 05:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
Post Ultrasound post-fusion

When I went to the physiatrist (PM doc) he said he was going to specify in my PT plans that the ultrasound shouldn't be done over the fusion site. I just went for my first PT on Thursday, and the therapist mentioned the same thing, that ultrasound can interfere with fusion.

I'd never heard that before, and believe me I have seen more than my share of docs and physical therapists since Dec. 2001.

So if you are undergoing PT after surgery, be mindful when you get ultrasound. Muscles can get this done, but keep away from the fusion site.

------------------
Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User
Hi Nanner,
The reason for NOT being able to have ultrasound over any fusion site with metal is due to the plate being heated up during the actual ultrasound. It would cause tremendous pain and burning.

My PT and NS informed me of this 2 years ago.

Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
Lori, the thing is...I don't have any metal in there! So even if you don't there is apparently some interruption of fusion if they use ultrasound on the site.

------------------
Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Old 10-14-2003, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

more HB User
This is interesting. I have plating on the right side. Last Friday while at PT the therapist did ultrasound on my left shoulder and arm. Both of these locations have been painful. I have been going to PT since May for pain on the left and right side. The right side has gotten better but the left has not. The therapist seems to think it is not the neck causing the pain on the right but a problem with the shoulder. So she did the ultrasound on Friday on the shoulder and upper arm. She also did a stimulator treatment on the upper right back, because of a muscle she could not get to loosen up with massage.

On Saturday and Sunday I was in so much pain on the left side I could not function. I think the pain on Saturday and Sunday was worse than I have ever had. I ended up taking the Loritab I had left over from my surgery. What I am wondering is could this have been caused by the ultrasound or stimulator treatment.

I went for PT today and explained how I felt on Saturday and Sunday and she opted not to do either of the treatments today. Today she did a lot of heat and massage.

Has anyone else had this type reaction?

Closed Thread