It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #1

thorn HB User
stress related stomach probs?

i am having a horrible time with my stomach, i am nasuous all the time, especially after i eat anything, i either have the runs or i cant go at all, could this be stress related? or should i be looking for other explinations, my mom was recently diagnosed with lupus, could that be the cause? I don't have any other symptoms. i feel so sick it interferes with my life.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User
Re: stress related stomach probs?

Hi-
Sorry you are feeling so bad. Stress and anxiety can definately cause stomach problems like the ones you mentioned in your post. I have anxiety and often have the same problems. I would advise that you go to your doctor and have a physical. Its good to make sure everything is okay before you blame stomach issues on stress. Just let your doctor know whats going on. Even though stress can make one feel very sick to your stomach, so can several other things. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Thorn welcome to the boards!!

Stress can do all kinds of physical things to the body. I have a chronic gastric condition that cannot be cured so I take strong pain meds to get thru the days. Whenever I have "extra" stress....(more than usual if there is such a thing ), my stomach hurts even MORE!!

I agree with elated...you should see your doc and get an exam. It sounds a bit like IBS (irritable bowel syndrom), or Chron's disease (kind of the same as IBS), but only a blood test can diagnose these for sure.

In the meantime, try to modify your diet - maybe soft, simple foods like cottage cheese, oatmeal, pasta, etc. and lay off the spicy stuff and see if that helps.

Your mom's diagnosis might exacerbate the problem if it is due to stress for the simple fact that a diagnosis like that on a close family member is VERY stressful.

Watch what you eat, try to relax (maybe breathing techniques, walks, nice music, whatever), and make an appt with your doc. Trust me, living with constant stomach pain/nausea is a baaaad baaaad thing.

Let us know what your doc finds.

Angela

Old 10-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
(male)

starscream HB User

*always* consult your doctor (or several of them) before trying anything!

I've had Fibromyalgia and accompanying IBS my entire life (26+ years). my personal description, which my doc said was the best analogy he's heard yet for such stomach turmoil is "like unseen hands wringing out your intestines like a wet towel". i've had countless months-long cycles of 10-25+ very loose bowel movements per day. it's *awful* and can literally throw your quality of life down the toilet and lead to nasty depression and social withdrawal, though you can take pride in knowing you're keeping TP manufacturers in business .

while nothing i've discovered works 100% of the time, i agree that the *best* way to break the cycle of stomach trouble/rapid-fire bowel movements, cramping, burning, bloating and the like is indeed *deep, slow, relaxing breathing* for at least 10 minutes or more a day. if your stomach is all knotted up and "tight" or tense (causing nausea, loss of appetite, the "runs", etc.) deep breathing, preferably with meditation, prayer, or other relaxing/positive thoughts are your best bet to break even the meanest months-long-"when-will-it-ever-end" stomach trouble. watching funny movies, TV, or humorous/light-hearted literature can also help tremendously.

the deep "pit of your stomach" breathing may actually *hurt* for a while at first if your gut is tense and knotted-up, but force yourself to continue for at least 10 minutes and the discomfort will often fade away almost miraculously!

trust me, i've tried everything, and this is the best route to take. problem is, it is quite easy to slip back into "stress-mode" and end up back at square 1.

after going to tons of doctors and undergoing countless tests, the only two prescriptions that help me personally "put the brakes" on hyper-bowel movements are Lomotil and Welchol in combination, as prescribed by my physician(s). Lomotil is an old and common anti-diarrheal Rx, and Welchol, while typically used to treat high cholesterol, helps form the stool withouth interfereing or interacting with anything else in your body (and after you've had 20+ loose moves in a day, a formed-stool is like heaven ).

also, as others have said, avoid any known or suspected triggers like spicey foods, too much caffeine, alcoholic drinks (like throwing gas on a fire), carbonated drinks, and even dairy if you may have a lactose-intolerance issue. again, always consult your doctor, and bug them to death if they don't take you seriously, and NEVER be afraid to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th opinion when it comes to something as serious as this. GI problems can be very serious health/nutritional threats. get as many tests done as you can to either identify or rule out possible conditions.

hope this helps somebody out there, even though the original post is over a year old!
-starscream

Last edited by starscream; 10-14-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
(male)

starscream HB User

i have decided to never return to ***** as i feel it is a threat to the general public. Many people rely on this (lucrative) site for trustworthy information concerning their health and well-being, though those behind ***** have no right or certification to present the majority of this material. They operate under a false pretense, misleading the general public who may take their skewed or incredulous advice and/or claims as truth instead of the care and analysis of actual doctors, and use the information on this site to make decisions about their personal or familial healthcare, leading to a great potential for mal-practice in cyberspace. if you have any real health concerns, please visit an actual trained and certified physician or healthcare provider. regardless of any disclaimers they may have, people are going to get sicker or even die based on what they read on this commercial website.

Closed Thread