It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #1

sodepressed HB User
Anyone lost weight due to stress

I have been under a lot of stress and have lost almost 20 lbs over a 3 mo period. I'm attributing it to this but I've had so many people ask me if there is something wrong with me that now I'm a little worried. This of course doesn't help my stress. It's like a vicious cycle. I can't get into my doctor until next week.

Thanks,
Julie

Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
(female)

concerned4me HB User
Re: Anyone lost weight due to stress

Same problem here. Trying to control the stress but, I feed off it from others. Vicious cycle. I have no appetite during this time and have lost weight. Also have high blood pressure, don't know if that makes it worse. How do you manage being around other people who are stressed? I hope someone has some insight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 07:01 PM   #3

sodepressed HB User

I can totally deal with other peoples problems and stress. It's my own that I can't handle. I keep trying to tell myself that the weight loss is from the stress but now I'm worried that it's not. Just another thing for me to worry about.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Are you having any other symptoms? Even without them though this type of weight loss is a strong indicator of hyperthyroid. I don't know how long you have had the diagnosis of stress but stress itself can cause thyroid problems eventually.

Nancy

Old 09-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
(female)

concerned4me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3
Are you having any other symptoms? Even without them though this type of weight loss is a strong indicator of hyperthyroid. I don't know how long you have had the diagnosis of stress but stress itself can cause thyroid problems eventually.

Nancy

I get headaches but, I also have sinuses. Fatigue but, have a child.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:40 PM   #6

sodepressed HB User

These are my symptoms:
25 lb weight loss (over 3 months)
Anxiety
heat/cold intolerance
racing heart
sweating
shortness of breath

Old 09-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

I normally gain weight when I'm stressed

Good thing you are going to the Doctor. I know many who have lost weight due to stress. Hopefully the Dr. will make sure everything else is okay.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:04 AM   #8
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Hey, let me know what your doctor says.
I too have lost weight over the last 6 months and I have terrible chills in my feet and hands.
So far I have been doing the whole food elimination thing.
You might be having allergic reactions to certain foods. Look into this. MSG reactions.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
(female)

jas2001 HB User
Cool Re: Anyone lost weight due to stress

My freshman year of college I actually had a similar experience. I lost a lot of weight very fast, and actually lost my period for about a year. Eventually I found ways to de-stress and everything turned out okay.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

etb72 HB User

i have lost 13 lbs.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
(female)

care81003 HB User

i have lost 31 ibs . and everyone says it from stress. my doctors have no clue why i lost the weight .now i'm taking lexpro and i gain about 4 ibs already but i still feel alittle sick. my systoms were fast heart, sweating , weightloss tired all the time shaky hand just weak . so i don't know what to do anymore because i think it's more then stress

Old 09-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
(male)

jbar47 HB User

I lost about 30 pounds over this summer. It started due to stress. I wasn't eating, and when I did eat, I had bowel troubles. I've gotten my appetite back and eat more now, but since I'm trying to eat more fiber and eat healthier foods, the weight is still coming off, but in a healthier way now.

I'm trying to use it as a positive to keep it from causing me more stress. I needed to lose some wieght, and this did it. The only bad thing is I have a bunch of clothes that are too loose now.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #13
(female)

violaa HB User

ive lost alot of weight do to stress im not sure how to deal with it it all started when i married well about 2 yrs into the marriage been 8 yrs now he doesnt defend me lets his kids run over me and oh how iam sick of his ex wife good luck

Old 11-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
(female)

lookin4relief HB User

When i left my husband two years ago I weighed just under 200 pounds. I had left him at the beggining of November
By the time Cristmas had come around I had drooped 30 lbs
By mid spring it was 89
I had lost a ton of weight in that time due to stress. I have always had a weight problem
unfortunately this was not really a way to solve it.
I believe that when you undergo a great amount of stress you bodies chemistry changes. Not only that but your atitudes for certain things change as well. You may not notice it but you r appetite may decrease. i know that I swore up and down that I was eating properly while I was going through this difficult time. But now that I can look back on it I realize that isn't the case. Stress causes depression, which strips you of motivation to do well ... anything including taking the time to stop and eat. Either that or your life is too stressful to stop and eat properly.
I am fairly sure that most people experience weight loss or gain while they are under great amounts of pressure.
My only words of wisdom are.. You will get through this I promise, The human being has an unbelievable capacity to overcome, persevere and survive. Just believe in yourself.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anyone lost weight due to stress

I agree.

Happily, I can now say I am back to my normal weight (140 lbs) and feeling better then ever.
I have a great, new job and I am not as depressed as I used to be.

I'm not quite sure if I could've done it without my meds...but I guess the stuff really does work.

Closed Thread