It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

danilee HB User
Angry Strange feeling in head, Stress?

Hello
I have been ill on and off for a few weeks now (bronchitis, sinus infection) I have been under extreme amounts of stress, I have an 18 month old son, whom is very difficult and my husband is traveling all the time due to his job. I am alone a lot and stressed out. During my illness' I was treated with prednisone which made me worse, very irritable and more stressed (I am prettty sure do to the "speed" affect that it can have. ANYWAYS, I have been having this strange feeling in my head, hard to describe but its not a pain headache, but more of an irritation in my head... Like im really stressed and my head has had enough, its like its irritated, tingling sort of. IT is on the left side of my head usually, sometimes forehead. I hope someone can help. Ihave posted under several topics on this website and no help! IS it stress related? Doctors say it is..............BTW Lorazepam helps, BUT, not always!

Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Strange feeling in head, Stress?

it most likly is

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

FearfuL HB User

You mentioned a sinus infection. Is the pain in your head like a pressure against your forehead/side? If so, this could be a symptom of the sinus infection. But your doc says it's stress, so that might be the key.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:02 AM   #4
(female)

Wanita HB User

Hi

I have a similar situation. I started 3 months ago thinking I was having a heart attack and ended up in the emergency room where they did an ECG which was clear. At the cardiologist the next day another ECG and a heart ultrasound came back clear. My GP put me on blood pressure tablets telling me that I was having panic attacks and had too much adrenaline in my body. I was fine for 6 weeks until I had another attack much worse than the first - I thought I was having a stroke, brain haemorraghe and heart attack all at the same time along with very bad shaking. After putting me on numerous medications for panic attacks I got steadily worse. Then the "pains" in my head started. It's hard to describe, sometimes it's a pressure, sometimes a tingling, sometimes it feels like ants are crawling in my head. It's very disconcerting because it always makes me think I'm about to have a stroke. I went to a new GP who has now diagnosed me with anxiety disorder even though I am not depressed nor particularly unhappy. He says that the feelings in the brain are because anxiety disorder is caused by a seratonin problem (secreted by the brain) and your nerve endings are in your head. He says not to worry about it (easy for him to say!). I am now on 2 tranxene a day which has stopped the heart palpatations and the jittery feelings in my body, but not the feelings in my head. I also have stock of Urbanol which helps in a crisis attack. The tranxene is a temporary fix as I am off on a 3 week overseas holiday next week so when I come back I will go onto stronger medication such as Effexor (as they can have serious side effects). If anyone else has any similar problems PLEASE e-mail me, particularly relating to the feelings in the head as these do still concern me.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-14-2005 at 05:31 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 06-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

danilee HB User

Wanita
I moved to another state. I am still having these feelings. Sometimes mine has gone from the ants crawling to intense itching, INSIDe. its horrible. I am getting an MRI next week. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe you should request an mri.
good luck. I cant think of ANYTHING worse. I would rather be in pain.

Dani

Old 06-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
(female)

Wanita HB User

Hi Danilee

I also get itching, although mostly on the outside of my head. My doctors (3) and my homeopath assure me that these cerebral symptoms are perfectly normal and when on the correct medication it will go away. You're right though - I'd rather be in pain too. When I get back from overseas I'm going to see a psychiatrist about correct medication (apparently Effexor is a bad one to go onto). A lady I spoke to yesterday said she had similar problems and is on Zoloft and Rivitrol and is a totally different person. Best of luck with the MRI, please do let me know how it goes - I will check the results as soon as I get back from overseas. Oh, also, with the funny head feelings I find that if I take 2 Spasmend (muscle relaxant and also good for neuralgia) this helps the problem.

Wanita

Old 06-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
(female)

danilee HB User

Hello Wanita
I had a MRI done. Turns out I have a chronic sinus infection. Doc believes that is what is causeing the wierd sensations in my head. Hopefully they will go away with treatment, otherwise surgery. MY next appt which is tomorrow is with a Psychiatrist. I hate being so stressed and feeling sick or anxious all the time. maybe its all related. Good Luck to you , I hope you feel better.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User

In the end of may I had a weird type pain in my upper left forehead. I have had a on and off problem with cocaine for the last 10 or so years which I have now beaten! I mention the cocaine because I am hoping this is a majorly screwed up sinus issue. Anyway the next morning I woke up and my left eye was slightly blurry and my head had pressure all over it and also my left eyelid flutters on and off very often..since that day I had an MRI that only showed a deviated septum and I seen a neurologist who did simple tests and looked at the MRI result and recommended me to go on Paxil..I also am seeing an eye doctor who said I needed reading glasses and am a slight bit far sighted..also he found the pressure in my eyes to be high and tomorrow i get a 3d pic of my eye and a cornea thickness test..I already past the peripheral vision test and the blood to the eye test. I also get this tingly feeling in my scalp and a tremendous amount of pressure in my forehead and both temples and the back of my head..I am goin nutz over this..on friday I go to a ENT...Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Lutheran122; 07-20-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
(female)

Wanita HB User

Hi Danilee

Glad your MRI turned out okay. I've had chronic sinus problems since I was about 10 (I got whacked just above my nose and it has made a hole in the sinus bone) so sinus headaches are very common to me. Unfortunately I can't say they've ever caused these weird head feelings.
For an update on me - just before I went overseas my doctor put me on Tranxene (2 a day) for the panic attacks and 1 Inderal a day for the tingly feelings. He asked if I had a lot of headaches (which I do) and said that Inderal was perfect for this. I went overseas and took this combination and did not have a single problem for the entire 3 weeks. On my return I went to a psychiatrist to check if I needed to be upgraded to something stronger. On finding out that I had just been on 4 plane flights (2 of 10 hour duration) without a problem she said I am in remission as people with panic attacks/anxiety orders always freak out on a plane - something to do with too much CO2 in the air. Because of this I am staying on the Tranxene and Inderal for 1 month and if I'm still okay, another 5 months, after which they will wean me off it. She says I do not have panic/anxiety disorder. She explained that if your family is genetically disposed towards panice problems (my dad's entire family is) then I would have a lower threshold than "normal" people with certain exterior elements. These build up over a period of time and cannot come down without medication. When I took Zyban (quit smoking drug) it had an ingredient which pushed this chemical level up dramatically in my brain and the only way to lower it is with medication. Once lowered, if I avoid the trigger components I should never have a problem again. I have not had a single panic attack for about 6 weeks and the weird head feelings are now very occasional.
If you would like the list she gave me of triggers (such as too much CO2, or too much exercise) I will give it to you. She also gave me an excellent brochure on panic/anxiety disorders which I can quote bits out of if you wish. How did your psychiatrist trip go? I'm due to check with my psychiatrist again in about 3 weeks.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
(female)

Wanita HB User

Hi Lutheran

Firstly, congratulations on beating the cocaine problem! Your eye problem could be a huge contributor to your problems - so please let me know how it goes once you've had this sorted out. In the event that it is not your eyes then you are probably experiencing a similar problem to me - the head feelings and the pressure is very familiar. Paxil to the best of my recollection is a calming drug similar to the Tranxene I am on which seems to indicate the neurologist thinks you possibly have a panic/stress/anxiety problem. In the brochure I have, the list of symptoms for this are : Sense of being overwhelmed by fright and terror, with accompanying physical distress for between 4 and 6 minutes, racing or pounding heartbeat, chest pains, dizziness, light-headedness, nausea, difficulty breathing, tingling or numbness in the hands, flushes or chills, sense of unreality, fear of losing control, going "crazy", or doing something embarrassing, fear of dying. Do you have several of these symptoms? If so, then I will give you more info from my brochure because then you are probably suffering from panic disorder. Also, if the Paxil is not working for you, don't be afraid to ask your doctor to change to something else - my psychiatrist said that because we're all different it takes a bit of trial and error with medications to get the right combo. I know I tried about 4 different things before I got the right combo. Look into Inderal as that has worked wonders for the feelings in my head. Please give me an update. I'm doing much better and you will too when you get on the right path so I hope that gives you at least a little bit of reassurance - it's probably just a chemical imbalance and that CAN be rectified. Hang in there.

Last edited by Wanita; 07-30-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #11
(female)

violaa HB User

i to have weird like headaches but its not really like a headache its like my scalp hurts and it is stress related to my husband to isnt home alot to i feel alone alot i have kids to but i pray alot iam under alot of stress do to his 17 yr old daughter trying to get my marriage brokw up

Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
(female)

Wanita HB User

Hi Viola

Have you seen your doctor? Has he given you any medication for the stress and have you had your blood pressure checked? Stress does funny things to your blood pressure which can cause the feelings in your head. I'm sorry to hear that you're alone a lot, can you not join some sort of club that will get you out more with other people your own age? Your husband's daughter sounds like a problem - have you thought about maybe sending her to a psychiatrist so she can learn to come to terms with your marriage to her father?

Wanita

Old 11-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
(male)

rj6445 HB User

Yes
I have a strange feeling on the left side of my head, It raditates from my left eye down to under my lip on the left side at times.Ativan helps some but I'm going to ask my gp for a mri this week. thanks

Old 12-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #14
(female)

gttablve HB User
Exclamation Re: Strange feeling in head, Stress?

I have been in the ER twice since September 14th. The first time I was at my desk, thank God I work at a hospital-I felt a "pop" in my head and my vision went for a few seconds. When it returned it was blurry on and off. I was unbalanced and couldn't walk without holding onto things and felt an intense warm, tingling sensation throughout my head. It was like pins and needles in my head-nothing like anything I had ever felt before and it scared the daylights out of me. They did a CT scan in the ER and said to follow up with my neuro (I am a migraine sufferer), I did this. My neuro sent me for extensive blood work, an MRA and everything came back normal. He told me it was an atypical migraine. I have been getting headaches since I was 10-that is 29 years and this was no headache. There was NO PAIN at all, just the numb, warm sensation moving throughout the top and side of my head. I felt like I was going to lose consciousness. I changed neurologists because my original one would not advise me as to how to get off Neurontin which he put me on as a preventative for the migraines. I didnt like the way it made me feel and kept asking if I should really be on it, he kept saying to just give it a chance. I wanted off the meds and since he wouldnt return my call I went to another doctor who weaned me off it. If you dont know, Neurontin is a very strong medication used in the treatment of seizures and is not FDA approved for the use of migraine prevention, only my doctor never told me this. I thought it was just a one time thing and then it happened again, two weeks ago. I had to get rushed to the hospital in an ambulance because I was home with my children and was afraid to lose consciousness and the tingling/numbness was intense. I couldnt think or walk straight and was terrified. My neighbor called an ambulance. Again, a CT scan showing NOTHING! I have no answers and am still experiencing these feelings-but NO PAIN! And I dont know where else to turn. I am scared, I need to know what it is, so I can stop this anxiety I have been feeling. I have never suffered from anxiety in my life, but I am so scared-because if this feeling hits me while I am in the middle lane of the highway and my kids are in the car, there is no telling I can get us off the road safely. The fear is constant and the tingling doesnt go away at all anymore, it just minimizes and gets worse sometimes, but only those two times did I feel the need to go to a hospital. I can't live like this-I have been doing a lot of praying. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Please!

Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

I wouls like to explain some symptoms I had also. I woke up one morning and I was so dizzy that I was just stumbling and falling into the walls, chair, jst what ever was there I hit. I noticed that I had a strange feeling in my head and the best I can decsribe it is like blood was pumping real hard and i noticed that the whole entire side of my face, mouth, right arm, all the way down to my foot felt like it was numb and tingling. But I had been to the Doctor the last several months and every time my blood pressure was high. Well my Doctor sent me to a heart Doctor and he ordered test on me and it cme back and I had blockage in both legs below the kneee's. Well when I went to my regular medical doctor and told her how my head was doing, she noticed that the riht side of my mouth was pulling to the right. I thought that I had a stroke! I was so sceard and she drew blood, did an EKG and then she sent me to the hospital for a CT Scan of my head. She changed up some of my medicines, and took me off of some of them but the scan came back normal. I told her I had been with out my Zanax for 3 days and she told me not to ever run out again. That same day I went and got the Zanax filled and within 3 days all the symptoms I was having were gone. I felt fine then. She said that it had to be my blood pressure and me tunning out of my Zanax and that I was totally stressed out which I knew that. But it is funny how high blood pressure can do the weird things that it does to you.

Good luck to all and hope you feel better!

Closed Thread