It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

JenniferLeigh HB User
Red face Can stress and anxiety make you sick ?

I have been diagnosed with Gerd and since then I have been worrying about getting sick and that I have something worse. Can actually worrying about getting sick make you sicker ? I mean, when I was busy I was pretty much fine but I still had pain but then I started worrying and I began getting cramps in my breast, chest and legs (it also caused me to mess up my sleeping hours) plus I sometimes get sick to my stomach . . Could that be from me worrying all the time ? My mom is a LVN and she doesn't think anything is wrong with me and I want to believe her but I can't help but worry. Has this happened to anyone else? Advice would be greatly appreciated .

Old 03-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

Gainup HB User
Re: Can stress and anxiety make you sick ?

Hi,

One day last August, I started feeling bad, thought I was coming down with "something". I spent a week in bed, sick as a dog. 103 temp most of the time and many trips to the Dr. Finally, a week later, I was in the hospital with Pneumonia, really bad according to my Doc. I spent 3 days there. I always thought I was healthy, exercise, eat right, most of the time, but I think the stress just go to me. Owning my own business and wondering what everyone will think of my product just got to me. About a month before, my Step Mom said I didn't look so good.

I totally belive you can stress yourself into getting sick. I do it to myself all the time, or I did. After I was sick I decided to take better care of myself mentally and physically. Yoga everyday and telling people "no" if I can't handle anymore work load.

Take good care of yourself

Last edited by Gainup; 03-12-2005 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

112xxoo,

I'm concerned about your symptom of throwing up blood. Have you been checked for an ulcer?

Old 03-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

FearfuL HB User

I think it is possible. I have gotten worried about things and it's made me wanna barf. Most docs will tell you to try and reduce stress from your life! hehe, Jennifer, I stress about health too.

Jennifer, you were diagnosed with GERD before or after all the stress? And how long had you been worrying before you began feeling the cramps? Had you been worrying weeks, months? Is the physical symptoms messing up your sleep or the worrying? You need the rest!

Questions for xXoOoXx and Gainup - how long had your stress lasted before you had started feeling badly?

Old 03-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
(female)

Gainup HB User

I think I've had stress most my life, or should I say I've let myself get stressed out. I would say though it got worse when I started my own business, took about 8 months, then I got sick. I think I mostly kept everything inside and it just ate at me. Now though I feel pretty good, haven't had a cold sore in about 3 weeks.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

Cazzie HB User

I was such a worrier as a kid I had an ulcer at the age of 12. I had constant stomach problems. Still learning to let go of issues and trying to understand people who don't take things as seriously as I do.... ;oP Stress can really effect your health. Loss of sleep is serious. Throwing up BLOOD?? That's very serious. Sounds like a bleeding ulcer. The blood doesn't always get thrown up. In my case, it was being excreeted and didn't look like blood. I had a doctor once that figured about 98% of his cases were from stress.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
(female)

KSaan HB User

Hi Jennifer, speak to the doctor about possible gastritis.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

etb72 HB User

can ya die from an ulcer?

Old 04-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

J. Leigh -

All of your worrying could have even brought on your GERD. Yes, worrying can take an extreme toll on you, physically and mentally. It can bring about actual symptoms such as the ones you have described. Believe your mom and talk with her about any problems you are having, as well.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:32 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

etb72 HB User

were ya talking to me smith?

Closed Thread