HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stress (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stress/)
-   -   can stress manefest inside you for ages then cuase you problems later? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stress/306941-can-stress-manefest-inside-you-ages-then-cuase-you-problems-later.html)

stay2gether 07-22-2005 03:36 PM

can stress manefest inside you for ages then cuase you problems later?

can it really hide inside you and then all of a sudden make you so ill?

GatsbyLuvr1920 07-22-2005 03:45 PM

Re: can stress manefest inside you for ages then cuase you problems later?

Well, if you're living with daily anxiety (which I do), your systems are bound to shut down at some time. Always being in hyperdrive with the "fight-or-flight" response just causes added torment to your immune and cardiovascular systems. I would think that stress is most taxing on the heart, but the reason why you get sick more often, is that your body's energy is focused on the panic, not the germs, and it's too exhausted by the epinephrine to be able to fight off infection. So yes, if you're living with constant stress for a long period of time, it might manifest itself in illnesses that weren't present before.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

mindbodyeasedr 08-07-2005 07:11 AM

Its not that stress hides inside you but it accumulates. Let me use a car analogy. When you buy a new car it runs like a gem. Even without any major mishaps or traumas, you'll notice over several years of wear and tear (which is analogous to stress) that your car doesn't run as well as it did when it was brand new....doors might squeek, hinges feeling loose, just not as solid as it used to be. Stress, much like wear and tear on a car, can be a process that happens over time.

So, when a person accumulates stress and tension the nervous system has to continually adapt. When the stress level gets beyond the point of a person's system being able to adapt then symptoms start to show. Yet, the human body being as amazing as it is...it will adapt and often the symptoms are just transient or short lived. Thus, you will feel as though you're okay because your body has adapted to your level of stress. However, you must understand your stress accumulation has probably not decreased, its just that your body has adjusted/adapted to the new higher level of stress accumulation. Your body may go through several bouts of this adaptation process (thus showing up as recurring acute bouts of your symptoms) before it finally expresses itself as something more severe or the symptom is now chronic and won't go away. It is at this point that your body has no capacity left to adapt.

Most people don't have any tools or strategies to relieve core tension and stress in their bodies. When people feel stress they either suck it up, drown or numb it out (through alcohol, recreation drugs, or over-the-counter and prescription meds). Now, the only real way to get better and feel better is to relieve the accumulated stress.

I'd suggest looking into mind-body based approaches that should help give you those tools and strategies for reduction of accumulated stress and tension in your body. :bouncing:

hunter44 08-17-2005 05:50 AM

TMS, Tension Myositis Syndrome. This is a state your mind reaches from stress that turns to repressed rage. It is accumulated anger, stress and anxiety. Dr. John E. Sarno's theory for pain and many other illnesses and physical disorders. The mind, that smart body controlling mechanism, protects itself from the hurt by giving you something physical to distract you from the mental pain. Commonly backache and similiar painful conditions as well as TMS equivilants, autoimmune disorders, etc,. Read " Healing Back Pain" by Sarno. It does not refer only to back pain but also other TMS conditions (back pain is one of the most prevalent). Or, his latest book, "The Mindbody Prescription". Current medical approaces concentrate only on the physical aspects of conditions and laboratory results. The body is a much more sophisticated mechanism since the mind controls and regulates the system.

singer1 08-18-2005 07:28 PM

Mindbody,

GREAT analagy!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. Yes stress can cause all types of physical symptoms. More than you can imagin!!!! :wave:

Perry2 10-20-2005 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=stay2gether]can it really hide inside you and then all of a sudden make you so ill?[/QUOTE]

It can KILL you but not by attacking as a cumulative ball of stress, rather by the damage it can do to your health over time. That is why skinny people in high pressure jobs die of heart attacks. Medication, nutritional supplements, and physical exercise all help but nature's best cure is to get away the cause of the stress if you can. It isn't an option if your family is the cause(at least I hope not)but leaving a terrible job can add years to your life.

Twinklez81 10-25-2005 09:57 AM

yes and im going through it now myself :(

my body shut down in 1999. I've gone through so many trials and tribulations my entire life that I thought had past but it didn't and it took its tole on my system

now i can't work a job to my full potential because the slightest stress no matter what level, my body overreacts, and its like I have no control over it. I get fevers, dizziness, muscle pains and twitches, nausea etc etc. I have a degree but im working way below my skill level because my body can't take any stress at all. When I say at all, I mean that literally. I am a office clerk in the federal government at the lowest grade level. I got in here through a disability company. My degree is in Multimedia and graphics. Either way I go im stressed. I'm stressed because I hate my job, knowing I want to do art, but if I work at a higher grade level, that involves more stress and I can't take that either.

I have Fibromyalgia, but I really believe that Fibromyalgia, they will find in the near future has something to do with the breakdown of the central nervous system

I was reading about how dermatographia is the first signs of it, and coinsidentally I've had dermatographia for 10 years now.

Now I can't cope with anything :(