It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
A different kind of job stress?

I think i might be stressed from my job, but not because it is overwhelming - because it is underwhelming.

I am incredibly bored. Most of the time I have things to do but my tasks are unchallenging and quite frankly, a waste of my time. I am a marketing director and I spend a good part of my time making lables for the coffeemakers or some other such nonsense. Needless to say I have zero motivation.

I don't like my work environment, my pay or the people I work with. There is basically nothing about my job I really like, but I haven't even been here a year and I am the main breadwinner in my family. My hubby only makes about half of what I make. I dread going to work like nothing else. I do not want to look for another job, because frankly I don't think there is an office job out there working for someone else where I am going to feel differently. i need to be independent but I have no idea what I want to do.

On top of that I do have anxiety and panic that I am on meds for. I think work is a big contributor to my anxiety. Its that feeling of being "stuck" like I have no other choice but to come here every day that makes me feel anxious.

So, even though I am not "stressed" in the typical sense of the word, do you think boredom and dread can cause stress too? Can anyone else relate?

Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: A different kind of job stress?

Yes, I can. I work on the assembly line doing the same thing every minute. This is as boring as it gets. To make matters worse I have to work at the lines pace. I can't even go to the restroom without asking because I can't leave my job station. Boredom causes much stress. I know where you are coming from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

Hypo2004 HB User

I am also OVERQUALIFIED for my position. I was interviewed and offered positions at several great and prosperous companies, and took I the best offer, naturally. After quitting previous job (which I regret everyday),taking out loans for new cars and paying student loans, my training for the new job was put on hold due to financial troubles with affiliated companies! I am now working in a cubie doing tasks just as thrilling as coffeemaker label-making. Often, my boss leaves the office, and I have NOTHING to do. I walk around aimlessly asking others if I can help them. I cannot just leave because I am paid hourly, you see. I am gracious for the "temporary job" giveaway to me, but I keep receiving the jobs no one else wants to do.

This is extremely frustrating. I moved over across the country, I have no friends, family, etc. here. I am so unhappy. Supposedly, my "real" job will begin in 2006. I had to move in with college underclassmen in a dorm to pay expenses!!! They keep me up all night and I am fatigued all day in the office. And around and around we go. I haven't slept more than 4 hours in the last 2 months!

I've joined a gym, work out 6-7 days/week even and try to discharge my stress by cooking and window-shopping (can't afford to buy much), but it's adding up uncontrollably. I am so unhappy. On top of all of this, I have been sick for over a month and have thyroid problems with no insurance until spring!

Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ugh, sounds like you guys definitely relate. This is definitely bad stress. I actually don't mind being stressed with a lot to do, it keeps me going, but this is awful. Have you found that as a result of your lame job your self-esteem has gone down the tubes?

Old 11-21-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Yeah, I'm afraid it has. The mind needs to be active. Working a boring job just doesn't do that. I have tried memorizing things just to do something but that only goes so far. This is bad stress. I work for my breaks and then I work for the end of the day, only to go back tomorrow and do it again. I am in a position where I just can't go somewhere else and make the money I am making. I envy people who actually enjoy there jobs.

Last edited by Rick7799; 11-21-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
(female)

Kentucky_Miss HB User

Oh yeah, I can relate big time. I am under tons of stress at my job right now. I think watching paint dry would be more exciting, lol. But, I keep on keeping on to avoid the unemployment lines. Also, my twins need clothes, toys, and all kinds of things. So I am hit with a double wammy catch 22 as a single parent. On the other hand, of course, I could sit on my butt all day cleaning, playing or yelling with the kids, the park, etc. but besides the money, I need to be out there in life doing something, anything productive.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rick - I feel stuck too, that is my biggest problem. I don't make great money but I don't have the luxury of job searching. i am so tired from being anxiety ridden all day that the last thing I want to do is think about looking for other jobs on the weekends. Plus, like I mentioned before, I honestly don't think I will be hapy anywhere else unless I am independent of offices, bosses, rigid schedules, etc. Unfortunately that is tough to find.

Kentucky miss - I do envy you for doing the single parent thing. My husband wants kids but I keep telling him I just could not handle it right now while working full time at a job i hate. Until I can stay home or figure something else out i just think it would put me over the top.

Closed Thread