It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #1

Quandry7777 HB User
Natural Stress Relief -was Laughter, the Best Medicine

Hi everyone. I recently posted concerning a stress release technique using nerve stimulation and laughter, a common historical custom. There are many historical references yet very few today know anything about it. I have been going to a LMT and her techniques have worked wonders for my stress, blood pressure, etc. Anyhow, I came aross this article in some old files and wanted to share it, hoping it may bring a little light on the subject. Its not really deep, but does lend a little credence...

"The wild, uninhibited laughter of a child, as opposed to the more cerebral laughter of an adult, can be attained by a prolonged and intense tickling of the soles of the feet.. Considered torture by some, tickling itself can actually be a great way to relieve stress if the recipient can handle the stimulation
and surrender to the sensation. This is easier said than done-tickling is confusing, a literal love/hate relationship, as the mind says ‘yes’ and the body
screams ‘No’! Tickling can be perceived as both pleasure and pain, like an itch that cannot be scratched. It is this quandary that the body both craves and resists, sometimes simutaneously.
Specifically, tickling the sensory-rich soles of the feet bring other stress relieving factors [reflexology/nerve stimulation] into play as well. Tickling and laughter are both mysterys that in recent years have begun to receive some much deserved
attention."

Anyone have any thoughts or insights?

Last edited by Quandry7777; 05-04-2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #2

Quandry7777 HB User
Re: Natural Stress Relief -was Laughter, the Best Medicine

Someone wrote me directly about this technique and I thought it would be of interest to this thread. My response:

Its funny you said that as a massage therapist, you were taught not to tickle people. That's exactly what my LMT said But then she said too that she is always open to new things. Its funny too how even I refer to it as new, when it was done in Egypt (Queen Hatshepsut), 17 Century France, Victorian Agr Russia, etc. She is also not a reflexologist but says she believes this all works on a multitude of levels, one being the triggering of reflex points, but also therapeutic touch, nerve stimulation, the laughter, and releasing of endorphines, etc.

I agree too that it probably wouldn't work for everyone just as a light touch or a heavy touch wouldn't work with everyone. I think part of it is a mindset. I think the average person would think it crazy if their massage therapist said, "Okay, I'm going to tickle your feet..." But she starts out with such relaxing strokes that, as I said, I have fallen asleep. The tickling, though only a word, she refers to as stimulation and I DO think alot of it is the developement of trust and giving in to the sensation rather than fighting it. Knowing that you can end it with a word changes the whole thing. Its much easier to give in to and be free to laugh.

I have gone in to the treatment a bundle of nerves, sometimes shaking from the stress, and walk out totally relaxed and relieved.

Closed Thread