It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
(female)

Worriedfemale1 HB User
Can stress cause all over body itch?

Hi

Just wondering does anyone know if constant stress can cause an all over body itch/rash?

I have something very worrying on my mind which involves getting a blood test to see if i have caught something off someone. Its causing me a lot of stress, I seem to be itching all over and im wondering if the stress could be the cause of the itchiness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User
Re: Can stress cause all over body itch?

Well, when i worry alot or start to feel stressed, i get this itch in my chest, my arms, my tongue and sometimes my feet. I think this is from stress. Also if you are under alot of stress it can cause overall body twitches. So it is very possible it is from stress, if it lasts more than a couple months along with other symptoms have it checked out just to make sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
(female)

deelux HB User

Its interesting that I saw your post. I itch under my skin all over my body. I thought it might be algeries so I take benedryl for it. It does seem to help, but it could be that it just makes me sleeply so I don't notice the itching when I'm still. I never thought of the itching as stress. I'll ask my Dr. next time I go see her. Hope your's gets better, maby the benegryl will bring you some relief.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 AM   #4

jasmyn04 HB User

I know that stress brings out my excema! When I stress I just start scratching and sometimes dont really even think about it.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

Kim0822 HB User

Hi Ladies. I have been keeping up with your questions and answers for the last two months as I too have this crazy all-over-body itching/tingling symptom. I have every test known to God and man and everything comes out normal. I don't have FM but I am 47 am in the throes of perimenopause. After three gynocologists I finally found one who has a special interest in menopause and while she had not heard of this crazy itching/tingling she was at least willing to give me something for the hot flashes. By the time I had gotten to her, I had tried everything (antihistamines OTC and prescription, decongestants, creams, salves, antidepressants galore, changing soaps, shampoos, etc.) NOTHING helped and I was getting dangerously desperate. She told me that sometimes Effexor XR helped with hot flashes - she didn't think it would help with the tingling/itching but at least I would get relief for that. Effexor is an antidepressent and is used for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and I guess someone also noticed that it helps with hot flashes - I didn't care that I had already tried antidepressants, I was willing to give anything a shot. I had been studying my symptoms for so long that I was absolutely convinced that it was related to my hormones that I even exaggerated the hot flashes nuisance factor a little bit in a desperate attempt to be given something that might help me. By the way, my hot flashes last for hours, I don't sweat, I just get hot and even run a slight temperature so I didn't realize at first I was having them - I just thought I was getting more intolerant of heat as I got older. I have been on the Effexor XR (75 mg) for 2 and 1/2 weeks and I am 90% sure that I have found the solution at least for me. I can't promise it will help everyone, but I think it might help some. I also do other things to help keep my internally generated temperature down as well (loose cotton clothes, sheets and blankets, drinking lots of water with ice in it all day, no caffeine, if I start feeling hot I also start getting anxious which is what really gets the tingling/itching going so I try to settle myself down mentally/emotionally, and I have accepted that my air conditioning bill will just have to be high during the summer months - keep the house cool and dry). These thing have helped but the Effexor I know is what is really making the big difference. The doctor told me that it would take 6-8 weeks for the med to kick in, but honestly I am certain that I started feeling the good effects (fewer hot flashes, less anxiety and fewer tingles) 8 days into treatment. I also stopped using al the creams and oils since they were just locking in the internal heat. I am almost completely itch free even though I live in Houston and the heat and humidity are still unbearable. I hope some of you can try this and see if it helps you too; maybe we will hit on something and be able to help more women with this frighteningly maddening symptom. Please let us all know if you get any relief but don't give up until you have given it a chance. Also, all summer I have had to take Ambien to sleep since my itching kept me up adding to the desperation and anxiety. I am still taking it but this weekend I am going to try to sleep without it since I'm not even getting the itches when I settle down for the night. I have been thanking God every day for the last week for the privilege of feeling normal again, I pray someone else may benefit. Let me know!

Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

kellygirl1961 HB User

Kim - If you read this, please make a reply and give an update of the Effexor and your skin itching. My story sounds identical to yours and my doctor has suggested Effexor but I'm concerned with possible side effects. Thanks! Ann

Old 10-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
(female)

Kim0822 HB User

Hi Kelly

It is working!! I have now been on the Effexor for 7 weeks and am almost completely tingle free. I have also figured out that, strangely enough, if I do start to get some tingles instead of drinking a cool drink, I have some hot coffee. I think I actually have cool flashes instead of hot flashes. It helps, believe it or not, but I know that it is the Effexor that is making the biggest difference (I'd estimate that 90% are gone so far and I think it will be better in the coming days). The doc offered to up the dose if after 8 or so weeks I still had some tingles remaining. I told her I wanted to see how I did this month (October) to see if the Effexor is still getting to theraputic level. The doc said she had never run across this symptom before but she believed me and said that she will try Effexor if anyone ever brings up the chills, mildly increased temperature or the tingles again. I also started using soy. Never in my life would I have believed that I would agree to drink soy but when you have this crazy symptom you will try anything as I'm sure you already know. I am using the Revival Brand (sort of expensive) [removed] and I really like it - chocolate only. It still has a little bit of "bean taste" but I cut it with Silk brand Chocolate Soy Milk and it is very good. [removed] Try the Effexor - I can honestly say that in the long run, it may have saved my life - I was getting so desperate and despondent. I have been almost 2 full weeks with hardly a tingle. Also, if you need help sleeping get some Ambien. I'm not a pill head at all (I actually hate using the meds) but getting good sleep I think also helped me progress more quickly. I am now only using the sleeping pills on Sunday nights just because Sunday nights are hard for me to sleep anyway. Let me know how you are doing.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-13-2006 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
(female)

Kim0822 HB User
Talking Re: Can stress cause all over body itch?

Hi again Kellygirl - I just realized your name is Ann. Sorry about that.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
(female)

kellygirl1961 HB User

Hi Kim:

Thanks for the additional info. I did start the Effexor (less than 2 weeks so far) and have noticed a decrease in the itching, but noticed itching in a new place, but not as severe. I can almost ignore my itching now and am praying this is the answer for me too. I am feeling a bit unmotivated which is not my style, but I think once I am used to the medication, that may subside as well. I'm going to give it a try for a while. I have been drinking soy milk for a couple of years now - I love it. I have also been taking flaxseed oil for 4 months - it decreased my hot flashes and lowered my blood pressure to normal! As far as sleeping, I have no trouble there - thank goodness!!! I appreciate that you shared your story and am going to share it with my doctor tomorrow. He might think this is nuts, but whatever works, right? Maybe you did discover a new use for the drug? You should send it to the maker. I'll check here again to see if you enter any updates.

Take care.
Ann

Old 10-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
(female)

Kim0822 HB User

Hi Ann - so far still so good! I've almost hit 8 weeks on the Effexor and I have now gone three full weeks with nary a tingle. I am so excited!! I feel human again. I sure hope it works for you and for anyone else that goes through this. I think you have a great idea - I think I will give it at least one more full month to be absolutely sure that the itches/tingles are gone and then I will try to find a way to contact the makers of Effexor to let them know how much it helps. I am also going to write up a little note and send to all the doctors that I saw for this symptom to let them know what helped in case they get another patient with this - they will have something to try. I sure hope it helps you. The only side effects that I want to keep an eye on is the possible increase in cholesterol and blood pressure. I am already taking Lipitor (small dose) because the perimenopause had already caused an increase there. I will have my lipids checked agian in a few months just to be sure the levels are still good even on the Effexor. The Effexor might even help with some weight loss - I've lost about 5 pounds without really trying - I'm going to take that slowly - I'd like to lose another 20 in time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and everyone else. Keep in touch. Kim

Closed Thread