It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
(female)

[Misiu*] HB User
i constantlly bite the inside of my mouth!

hey i need help!!!i dont know why i bite the inside of my mouth. i do it all the time, and i dont know if its stress related,because ive done it since i was little, can someone plz tell me whats going on.....even if you do it too! <3 thanks <3

Last edited by [Misiu*]; 03-11-2007 at 01:22 AM.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User
Re: i constantlly bite the inside of my mouth!

My husband used to do that. I think it was stress and compulsion. He thinks too much. I say "stop that" when I catch him. We've been together a LONG time, he doesn't do it anymore. It took years and A LOT of STOP THATS! Have a sibling that would sensily rock since being a child it took concerted effort and time to break the habit (and a real will to do it).

You might want to check the OCD threads. I think it could possibly be compulsive or habitual, I wouldn't really know since I'm not a professional but you might get some info none-the-less.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User

I've done this for years and years. Not to any great extent at all, but yeah...I find it a nice distraction when I'm stressed or uncomfortable...it's sort of a nice sort of mild pain...(not that I like pain. I'm not crazy. LOL)

I once knew someone who did it so much that she ended up with just a thin thread of mouth tissue left where the mouth/cheek should've been. Ew. So yeah. Beware of that. LOL. Otherwise, it's fine.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i was just looking around and i found this thread. i do this really bad to.
i started when i was little and i remember watching my Mom do it.
i will go for a day or 2 without doing it and then i'll be watching a movie or something and there i go again.
it is a really bad habit and think it is like biting your nails. there are only a couple of people that really get on me and thats my hubby and my Mom.
even when they tell me to stop i still do it, lol.
there are the bad times though when i do it really bad and it hurts so i go and rinse my mouth out with listerine and that makes it feel better.
i am a very stressed out person and take anti depressants so it may be due to stress.
robin

Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
(female)

[Misiu*] HB User

thanks lots! , but is there really any way that i could prevent it???=]

Old 03-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Misiu, you can stop any habit if you put your mind to it. I have stopped smoking, biting my nails, biting the inside of my mouth, playing with my hair (to an extreme) and clenching my jaw, to name a few. Be conscious of what you are doing and when you catch yourself doing it - STOP. If you are very anxious you might want to work on that too.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
(female)

[Misiu*] HB User

thank you, every one soooooooooo much!i was really scared because i didnt know how to stop =] =]i guess all it takes is just a little strong will, but ill do it!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User

Just whenever you notice youíre doing it, stop.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
(female)

unipuff HB User

I used to do this all the time as a child to the point where I always had huge sores inside my mouth. 14 years ago, after the birth of my first child, I just stopped cold turkey...don't know how or why, it just happened. However, about a year ago it started again....I did it a couple of times here and there but no big deal until a couple of months ago when it started to occur as often as it used to.....
Any advice?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Unipuff, has your stress or anxiety level increased during this latest flair up?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
(female)

SuperGirl03 HB User

Ah, I'm not alone! I used to do this as a nervous habit, and now I find myself doing it all the time. I know it's bad for you, but it really is hard to stop. I find that my sister also does the same thing, and we'll try to catch each other.

I think the best thing to do though is contact your dentist and have them take a look. They know what is and isn't good for your gums and your cheeks, so they'll know more than anyone.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
(female)

bee78 HB User

Hi Guys
I do this too. I have always done it since a small child and always had massive mouth ulcers. I dont do it so bad any more but still do it sometimes. I suffer from stress a lot and worry all the time about everything so i think that is the cause of it. the worst is when i chew my tongue and get huge ulcers. I do it without even realising I'm doing it. I do worry that it will cause mouth cancer or something (ha ha ha more worrying....)

Old 02-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
(female)

jerri46 HB User

Years ago I was struggling with how to stop chewing my lower lip. It was suggested to me by someone, I don't remember who, that I collect data by simply counting and writing down how many times I did it in a day. I kept losing the paper so I finally used a mechanical clicker like golfers use to count up their score.

Anyway, I did that, just counted it, and noticed a strange thing. The numbers went down over several days and finally I just quit. I didn't do anything else.

Later I talked to an Psychologist who told me that that is not always the result of what he called behavioral self-observation, but surprisingly often it is. He said that if it hadn't, the next step would have been to set up a self-reward program or to commit to doing something else for a minute every time it happened, but I never did either of those things.

j

Haven't thought about that for years. Don't know if it will work for you or not, but it's cheap and easy.

Closed Thread