It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User
Stressed out

I don't even know where to begin. I've been put on medical leave because I'm so stressed out from my job. On top of that, I've been feeling so anxious, I'm vomiting on some days. I'm constantly crying, I'm depressed and I'm just turning in all of these feelings. Some days, I don't even want to leave the house, which is completely not my personality.

I've been on Zoloft and Xanax and they're barely helping. I go to my yoga class and all I do is cry.

I've never been this way before. I feel my job is slowly killing me and on top of that, my boss is trying to build a case against me. I've been a stellar employee for over a decade and the things that I'm being accused of are weak. But nevertheless, my job is extremely stressful.

I was seeing a therapist, but this guy was not helpful at all so I dropped him. I'm seeing a new one next week.

I am also feeling unsure of all what's been happening, and also unsure of myself. I don't know where to turn to or what to do. I just don't like feeling this way. I've only been on leave for 1 week, but I haven't calmed down. My blood pressure is up and I have a history of low blood pressure.

My doctor's concerned about me. I've been seeing the same doctor for almost 20 years and she's never seen me this way. I just cry and cry and I get stressed out whenever I think of work, even though I try not to.

I could quit, but I'd rather that I get laid off and give me some sort of severance package so I can continue taking care of myself. As I am typing this, my stomach is turning and I'm feeling anxious even more.

Has anybody been in this situation before?

Does anybody have any advice?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
(female)

PENNI86 HB User
Re: Stressed out

Wow and I thought I was stressed out. I have lately been having health problems that have been directly related to my stress so I feel your pain.

I would suggest quitting your job if it's causing you so many problems that directly relate to your health. Find a job that is less stressful and things will probably begin to get better. Also, focus on other people. That sounds weird but when you turn your attention to people who have bigger problems (like a terminal illness, no home, no job what so ever, etc. etc.) then your problems will seem to get smaller. Just a suggestion: I know it works for me. And hang in there, change what is stressing you out, and it will pass!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Penni86, thank you so much for your advice. I'm just so upset. It's taking a lot of energy for me to even type this. I just want to curl up and watch TV, do mindless things all day long.

This is not me. I've always been an extrovert. But lately, I just have no interest on doing anything or seeing anybody and that's when I realized I need to do something. My Mom's best friend called to see how I'm doing and she even said that this is not the person she's known for over 30 years.

Thank you again.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
(female)

stressedoutoo HB User

Hello - just read your post and am I was feeling very similar to you 5 weeks ago - I also was signed off sick with work related stress, I'd taken on way too much work (more than any human could be reasonably expected to cope with) and was getting chest pains, insomnia, feeling sick, constant anxiety and not being able to switch off - it built up so slowly over a number of months that I didn't realise I'd let work take over my life - I'm feeling much better now so wanted you to know there is light at the end of the tunnel - the best things that are working for me are REST (us workaholics find that one hard), shiatsu, relaxation CD's and therapy - I've also used my time off to reconnect with my husband, family and friends, all of whom had been relegated to 2nd place - I am due to go back to work next week and have negotiated a reduced workload and a phased return back - my plan is to stick it out for a year (doing as little as poss) so that I can get a good sick record again, then downsize to a job with less responsiblity.

please don't ignore your symptoms, take them seriously because they're your body's way of telling you to stop. but be positive that you'll get through it - it took me about 3 weeks to start to feel a bit better, the first 2 weeks I just cried all the time. It's been a hard lesson for me to learn and I'm trying to get to the bottom of what made me take on so much so I don't allow this to happen again. good luck

Old 11-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Thank you stressedoutoo. I've been so stressed out and depressed, I stopped doing the things I like. I used to go to our local library and just spend a lot of time going through the books. I used to take walks and just soak in my neighborhood and I haven't done that in a long time. I'm so exhausted when I get home, I just sit there and stare at the TV.

I just don't like feeling this way, you know, not being in control of my thoughts and feelings. I don't like feeling so unsure of myself, which is completely not me.

I'll also take your advice and rest. I think that's what I need. And you're right, it's hard to turn off our minds when it comes to being so stressed out.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
(female)

stressedoutoo HB User

I think the other thing is to try and accept that you are ill and need time to recover - like you I keep on saying "this isn't me", and normally I am the one who's the calm in control person and the life and soul so it's very difficult to accept that I can't be that person at the moment. at times recently I've just wanted to hide away from the world, I think it's ok to let ourselves do that if that's what our bodies are telling us to do - fighting it just makes things worse in my experience - and if you feel up to it maybe just do one thing a day to bring you pleasure e.g. a short walk or trip to the library, but again not forcing it if you don't feel up to it. Knowing that we're not the only ones going through this helps too.

take care of yourself xx

Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Thank you again stressedoutoo. I truly appreciate your advices. It took a lot for me to go out and run to the market today. I pretty much just stayed indoors most of the weekend and watched TV, stayed anxious and cried.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Good luck at work and let me know how it goes.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

deleted
Thank you

Last edited by Fabat40; 12-18-2008 at 11:34 PM.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Fabat,
I hope you have gotten some help. It sounds to me like you are clinically depressed. Talk to your doctor and maybe you need an increase in your meds. Have you started with the new therapist? You might find more help on the Depression Board. I wish you well.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
Fabat,
I hope you have gotten some help. It sounds to me like you are clinically depressed. Talk to your doctor and maybe you need an increase in your meds. Have you started with the new therapist? You might find more help on the Depression Board. I wish you well.

Hello Rudiraven,
Thank you so much for your response. I am getting help at the moment, 3 doctors working on and with me. I have a psychiatrist to monitor my meds, a psychotherapist to help me with my mental health and my general practitioner who is making sure my physical health is well.

I am thrown into another issue with work and I think they're trying to lay me off. According to the labor law, they cannot do this and this is stressing me out all over again.

I will visit the Depression board as soon as possible. Thank you for caring.
I hope you have a wonderful Holiday. I wish you well too.

Closed Thread