It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Hopes4dreams HB User
"If it's of any help to someone....?"

Hi just joined

Just thought I'd pass on an interesting snippet I found on the Net recently regarding stress and as a very sceptical guy I'm finding is working.... unbelievably so ! I'd obviously better add that what I'm saying might well be common knowledge to someone and it's all been gone through before. If so my apologies in advance but as I said "If it's of any help to someone...."

As a workaholic I'd been overdoing just about everything in life for the past 20 plus years and although it never bothered me too much it was all the usual things, little sleep, very tired plus the occasional panic attack and so on. Inevitably I suppose it all finally came to a head a few months ago in the supermarket, I hate shopping (!), as I had to buy some washing up liquid. I stood staring at all the damn bottles on the shelf without a clue what to do, trembling and without a thought in my head except repeating over and over again "calm down nutcase" which only made things worse ! It didn't work which was little surprise as it never had so quickly beat a hasty retreat to the car to try and calm down.

I've no idea why and though it only ever happened on occasion as I always hoped it would eventually heal or resolve itself in time (I know, I should've known better !!), the stress itself always seemed to manifest itself physically and without warning as a hernia in the groin which as I became increasingly stressed would frighteningly start to loosen and bulge out more and more downwards. For example I've lost count the number of times I've spent at the checkout trying to look unconcerned that packing the stuff I'd bought into the plastic bags and pay the cashier with one hand whilst at the same time fighting with the other hand to try and stuff the damned thing back in, was the most natural thing in the world ! God knows who must have noticed as I'm sure I was very red faced with the effort ! Worst of all there were two really frightening occasions at home, the last only about three or four weeks ago, when it took at least 3 or 4 agonising minutes lying on the bed, hips high in the air frantically trying to force the by now large bulge back in with both hands and shoulders (I'm 6'4" nearly 200 lbs and pretty strong and fit) before thank God it finally did. By then I was covered in sweat and completely exhausted from the effort. I'd had to drop everything instantly because I was desperately scared it would all drop into the sac, which could mean rapid surgery as it's really dangerous if the abdominal wall muscles suddenly tighten up without warning, thereby causing strangulation of the blood supply.

Although as I said it only happened now and again it was this deep fright that finally forced me to find a solution on the Net - fast - rather than minor surgery which from what I've read can on occasion cause problems later on. I've since tried to find the site in question which I think was quoting from some Chinese source without success, but fortunately I memorised it all in case of any problems in the future. In a nutshell over the last few days I've calmed down to a degree I can hardly believe, I'm starting to sleep heavily though this is quite probably from years of exhaistion and tiredness, no panic attacks in fact the very opposite almost lethargic, and best of all I'm almost able to keep the hernia "in" all the time without thinking. Every day things seems to get easier....which on reflection is no surprise at all for as you'll see it's so simple - and free ! In fact I started getting relief from the hernia (my outward stress symptom) within about 10 minutes of starting the exercise and provided I keep remembering what I'm supposed to do, it's now much more tightly "in" nearly all the time now ! However the usual thing applies, what might work for me obviously might not work for others, nevertheless it would be great to hear if anyone does get any positive results from this as well ! I really do hope so as it's now such a huge relief every day for myself. In fact I'm beginning to wonder if one can even go too far the other way as it's all so soporific and lethargy inducing !!

OK sorry to keep things in suspense but I felt it was first necessary to explain my own problem to give a clearer perspective of things beforehand. It went something like this....

"If your Mind/ feelings/ emotions/ nerves etc. are able to make your Body speed up unhealthily (stress, headaches, pains....whatever), then logically forcing your Body to slow down must eventually force your Mind to slow down as well."

As I said it's all so logical and simple, perhaps almost too much so ! There was quite a lot more but this is what immediately struck me forcibly, and what I've since been practicing and now seems to be working fine. However you might need to be alone for a while to begin with as it must look really weird and comical to anyone watching (!), but I jotted and pasted several small notes around the place especially the kitchen saying "Walk slowly !" and "Move slowly !". Rather like those Japanese (?) slow body movement exercises on the spot you see sometimes. Whereas it used to take me about 4 seconds to walk from one end of the lounge to the other, now it takes about ten which gives me plenty of time to deliberately keep blocking the constant urge to hurry and rush. Now it's all getting a habit which is great as I'm now able to do it all much more quietly and peacefully which in turn of course returns to re-strengthen the habit itself. And as I said little or no hernia bulge which I still cannot believe after all these years !!

So if it's of any help to someone....?

Really hope so

H4D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: "If it's of any help to someone....?"

Hi H4D,

That was an interesting story and I'm glad you're finding relief with the "slow motion" idea. If you want to go one step further you might try meditation. There's a book titled, "The Relaxation Response" that might be helpful. But I suppose any book in your local library, that explains the process, will be helpful.

I like your idea and I'm sure it might be helpful to others. By walking and moving in slow motion you are actually changing and developing new neurons in your brain. If you're interested in learning more about this, here's a good book: "Train Your Mind; Change Your Brain" by Sharon Begley: "How a new science reveals our extraordinary potential to transform ourselves."

Good luck!

(I typed this message in slow motion)

Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
(female)

shelbybear HB User
Re: "If it's of any help to someone....?"

I take a warm relaxing bath with Lavendar scented bubble bath...Lavendar has a calming affect when I am stressed to the max!!!as well as a walk...even during the winter months helps me..I haven't done any meditations...but I am sure that would help...I also due stretches and slow relaxation techniques...pretend I am in my favorite place and visualize being there and calming my breathing down to relax....some music and candlelight also helps...later donna

Closed Thread