It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
(male)

DnutDman HB User
Question Why do I startle so easy?

Hello all!

Just today I was waiting outside of a building and a small girl (that I herd comming outside) jumped out on the stoop and I jumped frightened!

Yesterday i was crossing the street listening to music on my ipod and a disabled girl unexpectedly pinched me softly. I yelped in frear attracting everyone's attention and my heart rate shot up!

When I used to work in supermarkets it would be the same. A customer would make me jump from comming up from behind me and asking a question!

Ever since I can remember I have been really jumpy. In the past friends have thought it was funny to stardle me. It's as if the world was saying BOO to me! I'm not afraid of things or uncomfident.

Is there an explanation for this?

Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
(male)

kevpark HB User
Re: Why do I startle so easy?

I'm saying this with all due respect, as a friend (which is why I'm here on this board- to be a friend and help other people), but maybe you might be extra-sensitive. This is not a criticism of who you are as a person by any means, so please please don't take it that way. I get pretty jumpy too sometimes, and i realize that if i subconsciously fear sudden noises, it will make me jumpy when i hear those sudden noises.

the best thing to do, in my humble opinion, is to realize that unless someone attacks you or something, there is nothing to be really jumpy about. telling yourself this truth over and over will help it sink into your subconscious mind and might help you be less jumpy. its not guarenteed but it worked for me. doesnt mean im not jumpy at all, just less so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hey DnutDman... I can relate!

I can hear a plate drop in a restaurant, and let out a full scream over it. I startle very easily, and am also very sensitive to TV, movies, and other perceived violence.

I look at it as just a part of me, which makes up my own very unique personality. I am also an artist, writer, and have quite a delicate balance, which I need to be the person I am.

I have embarrassed myself a million different ways over the years. My response is to laugh at myself after these outbursts, which puts everyone at ease. Everyone can relate to someone being startled, as it happens to all of us at one time or another.

My family does find it humorous, which it can be...but is careful not to purposely scare me, as I do have a serious medical history of heart attack, hypertension, and stroke. I would hope those close to you would be thoughtful, and learn not to startle you. For strangers, or customers at your work, I would simply focus on being more aware of your surroundings, to avoid that feeling of being snuck up on...

I have found myself to be someone who can easily fall into my own thoughts, leaving me less aware of what is going on around me. When I go off into my own world, I am very open to become startled...so I try to do that when I am alone, or safe from sudden scares.

You are not alone, and I think your question is one that a lot of us will find easy to understand. Best wishes!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

Hi,
I'm new to this board but I have the exact same startle response. I don't know your full history but for me it is due to experiencing trauma when I was younger. I understand, or so research says that startling easily is a symptom of Post Tramuatic stress disorder. So if you've been a witness to or experienced violence, abuse or other traumatic events it may be PTSD.
I would, if this is the case, talk to your doctor about the startle response if it bothers you a lot.
Another thought might be that if you are already stressed or especially worried it may just be that. That would more than likely go away when the stress level is gone.
Just a thought from a newbie with Post tramatic stress and a big time startle response.

Closed Thread