It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
(female)

momof6300 HB User
Ready to give in and try Valium

In addition to being menopausal, I am going through a very stressful period in my life. My elderly mom is in end-stage heart failure, my boss is a micromanager, I can't sleep....... and the list goes on and on. I have had a few minor panic attacks recently, but last night, after the final straw that I knew was coming, I had a major attack. The blood pressure spiked, I started hyperventilating, and couldn't stop crying. I am finally ready to break down and try valium. Is that a good idea? Also, I do enjoy a drink or two on Saturdays. Can I still do that while on valium?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
(male)

flyer99 HB User
Re: Ready to give in and try Valium

You are definitely having anxiety (and no wonder considering what is happening in your life at the moment). Your anxiety has combined with stress and depression (hence the crying) to begin giving you some panic attacks. I have gone through what you are now. I looked after my Mom for years after she developed dementia. Now she is in a wonderful special care faclility for dementia patients. I was stressed to the max, and I still have stress as I still am concerned for her even though she has the best of care. I have many other stressors in my life as well. I sought out my family doctor and we discussed this and I was referred to a wonderful psychologist who gave me some exercises to do to help reduce the anxiety and stress I was experiencing. I also am taking an anti-anxiety medication along with one for depression. It is known now that depression can cause anxiety, where before it was thought that it was the other way around. They go hand in hand in a lot of cases. I would advise you to seek out some medical help and discuss your case in detail. Meanwhile if you take any of these types of medications (like Valium), alcohol is NOT recommended as it is NEVER, EVER a good idea to mix alcohol and drugs (especially psych drugs). Everyone reacts differently, of course, but both valium and alcohol are depressants, which means they depress the central nervous system to some degree. My advice - DON'T take both! I hope some of this was useful. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread