It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

missmyoldone HB User
Stressful Work Environment... Anyone Else Experience This?

I currently work at an office/mailroom that processes thousands of files per week. We update, receive, send, store files and the paperwork to go along with it. The work is easy but because we process so many files, there is a lot of work to be done, even if it is monotonous work.

I am pretty good at dealing with changes in workload. I usually welcome a sudden change in workload because it entices me to work harder to get the job done.

However, I have encountered a different work environment at my current job.

Here's the situation: I work with someone who is depressed. We used to have a lot more people working in our office so I never noticed his behavior. These people have since been layed off. One of the reasons I never noticed his behavior is because he was always out for the day. Because of his illness it is okay for him to call in whenever he needs to and it's okay for him to show up late. We now share the duties of those that have been layed off. At first he only took one day of leave every week. I adapted to this schedule and actually learned how to do the work faster so that I could focus on my individual duties. Now it's getting to the point where he has been taking off 2-3 days every week. He also has some sort of anxiety about driving in bad weather so if it rains, he doesn't show up at all. When he is in office, I catch him sitting idle at his desk. If I ask him for help, he doesn't take too kindly to my requests. Sometimes I can hear him slam things around when I know he doesn't want to do them. I know that none of this is my business but his absences and behavior are starting to have an effect on me.

Because the work is monotonous and there are always huge quantities of files to process, I am starting to feel burnt out and stressed at the same time. Due to his increased absences I am starting to pick up more of his individual duties. There is one other person in the office but because of their contract, they are unable to perform the duties we share.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I can't think of anything else to do but look for another job. In this economy, I'm afraid it might take too long before I suffer a breakdown.

I want to tell my supervisor how I feel but I really don't think anything can be done because of his condition.

Any advice is welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Stressful Work Environment... Anyone Else Experience This?

Getting away from that place seems the only way out. If you go down,that would not be so good.Have fun...I worked in the same building for thirty years,and it required
some creativity to remain.However, there were thousands of fellow employees there
to blend in with.You don't have that luxery.You come first !!! Bill

Last edited by friendsville; 02-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

jubilee2278 HB User

Hi,
It seems like this environment is very stressful for you. It can't hurt to talk to your boss or supervisor. If the work is getting done, they may not be noticing what is happening. If you approach your boss, they may be able to come up with some kind of ideas to take some of this stress and work off of you. If you make your concerns known, they may be able to come up with some ideas. I don't think looking for another job right off the bat is the first step that needs to be taken. If they don't do anything after the situation is presented, then that could be the possible next step. Stress causes many health problems and you are number 1. If you have a job but get sick performing it, that's no good. It can't hurt to try to talk to your supervisor first. Good luck. hopefully, this situation will get worked out.

Jubilee2278

Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

evrluv HB User

First off, I don't understand why the depressed co-worker is still employed. With all the layoffs you mentioned, I'm surprised he's survived. Second, Jubilee's advice is right on target. Before you start looking for another job, which in itself can add a great deal of stress to your life, talk to your supervisor about the situation. He/She may not be aware that this is happening and will greatly appreciate your bringing it to their attention. In this economy, most companies are seriously short-staffed. The remaining few who are top producers are, which you sound like you may be one, are valuable resources. If that's the case, your supervisor will be glad you brought this to their attention.

Good luck and try to de-stress!

Closed Thread