It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
(female)

zoranm HB User
How can i help him??

After being an anxiety/depression sufferer for MANY years i have learnt how to cope with meds and making myself do things i wouldn't have before, although not completely 100% i deal with my demons, however we think we may have pin pointed my husbands situation and that is why i am posting in the anxiety category because i don't think he is depressed, actually i pretty much know and so does he that he isn't. Slowly for years now he has been suffering from certain symptoms that were minor but have now become unbearable the past few months. At first Dr's and us thought he had thyroid adrenal problems because he had every single symptom under the sun but after multiple tests, a lot that have been repeated we can't find anything wrong with him physcially. So the Dr thought it was mental and gave him zoloft, it didn't work and after 2 months the Dr told him to wean off and go see a therapist. Thinking the Dr knew nothing we saw another Dr who has bascially said the same thing after other tests done and this Dr is an excellent Dr. But we thought well if the zoloft helped nothing then it can't be depression it has to be physical. Well my husband had noticed all the symptoms went away when he took a week off of work a few months back! maybe coincidence we thought, but he has been off for a few days now and sure enough all symptoms are pretty much gone ugh! so we are starting to see the Dr's are probably right all along. The problem is that having the depression myself and knowing my husband we don't think it's best he goes on antidepressants because he has tried them in the past too when we were going through some very rough times and it just turned him into a zombie and never did help. So what we would like to do is maybe see what you guys think should be his next move? perhaps something natural he can try? it would be for anxiety though NOT depression. Also he doesn't want to just get an Rx for things like xanax because that doesn't help longterm. Just a bit of background my husband has been at the same job for 10 years and doesn't want to leave it, he is in I.T and its highly stressful, he can work from home SOME days but not all the time. Because of the economy and the amazing wages he gets leaving is not an option and there isn't anything out there nearly as good to go to either. We KNOW it is his job causing this, between lay offs with others and now their work got added to his high workload it seems to have taken a toll. Also the symptoms he was getting were constant adrenaline rushes, especially when he sleeps which wake him up and it takes hours to go back to sleep, he can't concentrate or enjoy life because it is like he is on edge all the time, he thinks about work all the time and stresses he will be next to go and how would we survive, he gets head rushes, dizzy spells and basic panic attack symptoms. So where do we go from here? seeing a therapist will not do a thing, this is strictly about his job, we know this, all symptoms go away when he is off of work for a while. Speaking to his boss won't do anything, his boss is great and understanding already but he can't do much else for him with work load...so other than saying "leave the job" which is not even an option, we are hoping someone can suggest meds or something to help him relax and hopefully get over this hump.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

JD57 HB User
Re: How can i help him??

I am also in IT and can relate to your husband's troubles.
What has helped me some is an anxiety drug, Ativan.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
(female)

zoranm HB User
Re: How can i help him??

He has ativan but refuses to take it whilst at work because he said he doesn't concentrate as well and is tired and also can't drive home after either but thanks anyway

Closed Thread