It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2001, 08:41 PM   #1

saisoft HB User
Question for those who took paxil and it worked

How long did it take for paxil to have a positive effect on you?

Old 01-19-2001, 08:42 PM   #2

saisoft HB User
Question for those who took paxil and it worked

About how long did it take for paxil to have a positive effect on you? Did you stick with one dose for a while and then increase the dosage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2001, 09:41 PM   #3

Di HB User
Re: Question for those who took paxil and it worked

I was on Paxil a couple of years ago...I started on 20 mg (i believe it was 20) and it took about 4 weeks to "kick in". I never had to increase the doseage.

My one caution...be very sure that you need Paxil. It worked very well for me...but it is HELL to get off of. This drug has severe withdrawals...DO NOT try to go off it cold turkey, whatever you do. You must VERY SLOWLY taper off this drug. It took me about 5 months to get off it...and not without withdrawal symptoms.

Not saying that you shouldn't take it...just be warned. Also, most docs STILL say that there is not withdrawal from Paxil, although there is a class action lawsuit against the company right now. Just type "paxil withdrawal" in any search engine and read up on it.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-19-2001, 09:54 PM   #4

saisoft HB User

Thank you very much for the reply. I just started on 20 mg a couple days ago and I have had no side effects. I don't know if it is too early to get side effects though. I am well aware of the withdrawl from paxil thanks to people like you.

Old 01-20-2001, 05:09 AM   #5
Inactive

joy HB User

Paxil worked very well for me the 4 months I was on it. It took about 3 weeks for me to feel the effects. However, 20 mg is sometimes a little high to start but it might be okay for you. I started for four days with 10 mg and then went to 20. I did feel lethargic, but it was worth the price. One important note; I weaned off after 4 months and my depession/anxiety symptoms came back after a while. I went on Paxil again, but it never had the same effect. I just thought this was an important notation. I hope it works aswell for you as it did for me the first time I took it.

Old 01-21-2001, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User

I took 10mg for a month but it didnt quite wake me up enough so I started on 20mg im not sure when it kicked in but I have only taken the full dose for a month and I feel a bit more alert than I was. I must admit I am quite scared of the withdrawel effects. I know how powerful this drug is because my first attempt but me off for 2 months as it caused nausea, insomnia and tiredness, I was ill for a week and couldnt get out of the bed.

Old 01-21-2001, 07:23 PM   #7

frankpop HB User

Different strokes for different folks, saisoft. I started on 30mg of paxil, then went to 45, and am now at 60. Been there, with either lithium or depakote "on the side", for 6+ years.

But, I've always been a fairly high-dose guy. I was on 150 mg of desipramine, and then on 200 mg of zoloft. Zoloft took me 5 weeks to kick in' paxil took only about 3 or 4.

The stuff truly is different for everyone, though, as far as I can tell . . .

Old 01-30-2001, 12:50 AM   #8

akmtns HB User

My Mom has been on paxil for over a year and it has changed her life dramatically!! I have a script for zoloft but am afraid to try it. I feel these scripts are good but let me know what you think about it also?

Old 01-30-2001, 08:22 PM   #9
Inactive

joy HB User

Paxil started working for me at 3 to 3-1/2 weeks. I started 4 days on 10 mg and then went to 20 mg.
Joy

Old 02-13-2001, 10:59 AM   #10

shkhaila HB User

this is my 5th day without paxil, my doctor wanted to help me with other weight loss drugs that i could not take with paxil. I am now on wellbutron, which is suppose to help with the withdrawal symptoms from paxil. I was on 60 mg for 5 years, gained 80 pounds, was always tired, and had no energy. After 5 days, I feel a slight "old me" and I like it, I think I can, and I want to have some energy. Symptoms are tuff, from withdrawal. I have not been able to sleep for more than 2 hrs, my ears ring, everthing I eat is going right thru me (relief after 5 years of constipation). I am crying at commercials, but it seems to be a cleansing cry, not a i am sad cry. The worst is the headaches and the pounding heart. It scares me. I hope, after 2 more weeks, the symptoms will be gone. Anyone else out there who has been on a lot gain a lot of weight. It is a cycle, take paxil for depression, get fat, constipated, and have no sex drive, which leads to more depression. I want to try life without it, please wish me luck all. And good luck to you too. I want to know more about the lawsuit, can anyone tell me the addy?
Deb

------------------

Old 05-14-2001, 04:26 PM   #11

leelyn HB User

Hi, I love paxil for feeling great. But, word of caution. I feel so bad withdrawling. I did it once by myself for two weeks, had terrible vertigo. Went with my doc. idea and weaned off for six weeks, but it seems that wasn't enough either. Vertigo is back, and I'm also on Wellbutrin and it doesn't seem to help with the side effects, although maybe they would be worse if I wasn't on anything. I don't know what the doctor is going to do now, I can't take this vertigo. Any suggestions.

Old 05-14-2001, 07:45 PM   #12
Inactive

joy HB User

Prozac taken helps the Paxil withdrawals because of its long half life. You can take 10 mgs of Prozac while weaning off Paxil very gradually, taking many, many weeks [couple of months] to do so.
Joy

Closed Thread