It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

nono HB User
update on me

Haven't been around for awhile, haven't had the energy. Still on 40mg of paxil, 2mg of xanax and now on a new sleeping pill which i hate. I'm not sure if its available in the states and no one seems to know much about it. It is called imovane(zopiclone). i don't recommend it because it leaves me all shaky and nauseated in the morning. My depression has diminished finally, thanks to the paxil. however i am still quite anxious. But i am hanging in there and will continue to do so. I go back to university in 5 days not sure how i am gonna cope. Never went to school while on meds. Don't know if i can write when i'm hands are numb and constantly shake or when my brain feels like its underwater....i'm just gonna take it day by day.god i'm a mess

Old 09-01-2002, 06:03 PM   #2

Bunty HB User
Re: update on me

Hi nono - just wanted to wish you all the best for starting back at school. Most of the time I feel like a complete mess too but somehow I manage to go to work every day. It's incredible what you're capable of doing even when you're in a pretty awful condition and taking lots of medication.

Taking one day at a time sounds like a good plan - everything's going to be fine.

Let us know how you get on!

Bunty
x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2002, 04:56 PM   #3
Inactive

Forrester HB User

Hi nono, is it possible that that sleeping pill could be the wrong one for you? I would double check with your doctor. Although it is hard to start school taking new meds.

I have had trouble with this too, as I just started school again a couple of weeks ago. I was on Ambien for sleep last year but became too addicted, so went off of it and just took ibuprofen instead (with toast, not on empty stomach). For some reason, ibuprofen makes me sleepy. I miraculously was not on any antianxiety or antidepressant meds for my first year in school.

Now for the second year I debated on which ønes to go with and decided on one just for anxiety, Buspar. I only took ones I had taken before with success. I do not like to try out new meds while in school, that is much too tricky. If you have a negative side effect, it could affect your performance. Are there any meds you have tried before that worked, so you could just stick with ones that are safe? I know they might have worn off in the past so might not be effective.

What I did the first year (and I'm starting to do it now, will go back in late Sept.) is, I went to therapy nearby at a university which has counseling grad students so it is only $5 a visit! i go weekly to therapy and it helps so much with the stress, I just cry my heart out there and shout and scream and it's okay.
I also take Buspar now and it is starting to work.

Another big thing that worked first year is I would do progressive muscle relaxation techniques while lying in bed waiting to fall asleep or sitting at a desk at school (hopefully privately so no one can see your squashed up face & muscles). But anyway, individually tense up then relax each muscle set in your body. It helps!! I did it 3 times a day.

I also did abdominal breathing (slow deep breathing) and also positive reinforcement, I would say to myself (and this is true for you too), what I am doing is incredible. I am strong, I can do this. I am getting through school although I have anxiety and depression. It will be all right. It's goign to be all right, even if I didn't feel like it would, and you know what? I convinced myself that it would be all right and it calmed me down enough to go to sleep! Thinking positive thoughts to myself was one of the most important things, I had to force myself. Also going to therapy made a difference, all of this helped more than the meds!

I have used The Stress & Anxiety Handbook by Bourne (that's his last name) until it is dog-eared, this book has helped me so much, it is endlessly resourceful. Good luck, keep posting here and to the Depression Board (I am mostly on the Depression board even though I'm anxious too).

We can do it! We can get through school!

It also helps if you like what you do in school! I thought I had made the wrong school major choice at first, now that I'm really into it, I like it. I'm so relieved. That helps reinforce that what I'm doing is right. It gives me confidence.

Let me know how you're doing.

I now

Old 09-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #4
Inactive

Aster HB User

Forrester? Hi. I have comments and questions regarding Buspar.
I can take 5mg and it makes me sleepy which is fine. But if I Ever take 10mg at once I feel nauseated and it's just not worth it. Do you know how many mg's are needed to suppress anxiety? You don't think Buspar is as effective for anxiety as Xanax, do you? Most doctors say Buspar isn't addictive but some disagree.
5mg at night and 5mg in the a.m. isn't enough, is it.
Thanks, Aster

Closed Thread