It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

debodun HB User
Can't handle stress

I'm a 59 year old female who has recently retired from a job I worked at for 38 years. I live alone, never married or had kids. However, now even the most mild stress like if the toilet doesn't flush properly, I think I need a new roofing on the house, or my computer acts weird. I tense up, sometime even get muscle trembles and heart palpitations, a headache, nausea and can't eat. The symptoms are way out of proportion to the cause. Anything that happens that I think I will have to spend money or disrupt my life that I hadn't counted on - like hiring a plumber, roofer or buying a new computer - just has me in a tizzy. As long as everything is humming along, I'm fine. Am I over-reacting or is there a psychological condition that causes this?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
(female)

cheezels HB User
Re: Can't handle stress

I think I would take a visit to the doctor as it sounds to me like you are suffering severe anxiety. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

hlnorg HB User

As many new retirees do, it seems as if you are subconsciously worried about money. As a working person you were able to put aside money and even if you took some out, you knew that you would be able to keep putting in, as you were working. Now you are spending without any means of putting money back. As you said, each time you are to spend for anything unexpected you get into a tizzy.

I believe you should try to find something to do from home to bring in a little money. It may not be a lot, but the fact that you are able to put something back should help to decrease your anxiety and make you more at ease.

I do hope everything works out well for you. All the best!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Wow, you sound just like my sister! She has progressed to full blown clinical depression in her worry about lack of income. What you are experiencing right now are anxiety attacks brought on by worry about money. The previous poster was right on the mark with suggesting that you think about doing something part time to bring in a little money and keep yourself busy so you don't constantly worry about every little thing. I wish you well

Last edited by rudiraven; 09-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Talking Re: Can't handle stress

Sounds like you're developing an anxiety disorder. Since yours was brought on by a change in life circumstances and not by genes or illness you should be able to get on top of it quickly without medical treatment. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
(male)

StressDiaries HB User

Hi

It is not easy getting accustomed to and adapt to change. It seems the routine, structure and security that goes with 38 years and the experiences accordingly of that past is not easy to replace with the uncertainty and insecurity of the future. Getting to grips with this uncertainty is necessary and you can do this as it would allow you to adapt. It may include planning and writing out, or talking to someone in the know, about those worrying things you cannot control, identify those things and come up with options to address them, and give yourself the space to deal with adapting a new set of ways, structure and security in your retired life/lifestyle. Take the good experiences you have built up over all that time [I am sure you have been in many crises situations in you previous 38 years at work and made your success (or the company's)] and congratulate yourself for those skills. It is these skills you used that can take you through this new [for now] situation. Allow yourself to adapt these skills and implement it in your current situation. You are always bigger than you think you are...

Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

I agree with the others. See a dr and get meds to take the edge off. Find a part-time job and start saving. It will take you out of the house and keep you busy. Then take care of your home jobs one at a time. Good luck

Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
(male)

Eftaustralia HB User

Hi, I totally understand your situation. I hope that you will find a relief to your problem soon.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlnorg View Post
As many new retirees do, it seems as if you are subconsciously worried about money. As a working person you were able to put aside money and even if you took some out, you knew that you would be able to keep putting in, as you were working. Now you are spending without any means of putting money back. As you said, each time you are to spend for anything unexpected you get into a tizzy.

I believe you should try to find something to do from home to bring in a little money. It may not be a lot, but the fact that you are able to put something back should help to decrease your anxiety and make you more at ease.

I do hope everything works out well for you. All the best!

Closed Thread