It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stress Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
(male)

SlightDiscomfrt HB User
NEED HELP - Please Respond - Work Related

Seven weeks ago I started a new job and was brought on during the busiest time of year in the office and was given THE biggest project that is the reason why it is the busiest time of year. There is also no existing infrastructure to complete this project because the level of detail required is significantly higher than what was done in the past. This is a project that historically was done by someone in the manager's role.

While I was working on this project my manager would have me go down one path, then change directions because a separate business condition would not allow his original strategy to work. I lost days or weeks because of this, but the deadline of course did not change to adjust.

This happened multiple times during the project. I also needed to get information from other people to make this project happen. They would send me things, but often times this information was wrong, but being new to the company, I did not know this until days or weeks later.

Also during this time my manager leaves the office for three weeks for a combination of personal/work issues so I have minimal contact with him during that time.

My manager returns to the office a week before the project is due to senior management and gives me a list of three dozens schedules that need to be created. None of these existed prior to my starting there so all of them need to be made from scratch.

During that week before the project is due I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Seven weeks in to the job, getting wrong information from people, three dozen schedules due, one week to do it and severely overworked including working weekends. I'm giving my manager my work to review and he tweeks everything or says something requires further investigation so back to square one. As things play out he realizes that the details he requested are either not possible period or definitely not possible within the time frame he requested so he starts utilizing other people (the people responsible for the bad information) to figure out what's going on. In the meantime my stress level is completely maxed out. My self confidence is totally shot at this point and I'm just praying to get through the project. Working 12 hour days, seven weeks in, weekends before Christmas, and dealing with all the normal stress that comes from starting a new job. I also got no feedback from my manager on my job performance. It would have made all the difference in the world if he just sat me down and gave me a pat on the back.

Well I was home yesterday and I was really paranoid that he wasn't happy about the project so my paranoia took over and I saw a job ad that probably wasn't my job but I thought it was and it sent me into a tailspin.

Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread