It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

debbielovesmia HB User
Left side brain damage

I jsut went to the ER last sunday and had a ct scan done then was sent for an MRI there is damage on the left side of my brain. They said a stroke. I am 26yrs old and am confused I never felt a thing. I am sceduled to have an echocardiogram on Monday. Are there test to be done to see what happeded? Can you have a stroke and not know it ? I am scared to have an other one?

Old 03-13-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
(female)

cespos HB User
Re: Left side brain damage

Hi Debbie;

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Usually stroke signs are a sever head ache, followed by weakness on one side, facial droop on one side, vision problems, speach slur. But as I say that is usually. CT Scan and MRI are common tests to be given for diagnosis of a stroke. Echocardiogram of the heart was also done on my husband after his stroke. I believe more to ensure that his heart was healthy.

Follow your doctors orders and do what ever therapy you are prescribed by a therapist.

Stroke has no limitation on age. Even children suffer from stroke. It has nothing to do with age, although you think of more as a problem for older people because of the frequency that it strikes them.

Once you have a stroke you are under a higher risk for another. Medications can help lower that risk. Be sure to take all medication as prescribed. And try not to miss a dose.

As for can a test be done to figure out what happened that is what the CT Scan and MRI did. Ask your doctor more questions about the type of stroke. Was this a hemorage or a clot stroke? Make a list of your questions for the doctors. They will be happy to sit and slowly go over all issue you do not understand. Don't be afraid to ask, even a question you feel is dum must be asked. The more questions you ask the more you will understand.

Ces.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

debbielovesmia HB User

Thank you I have an Echocardiogram tomarrow. I am still awaiting an apointment with the neorologist

Old 03-24-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
(male)

krishna_2484 HB User

Hi Debbie,

As u said a damage was found on the left side of your brain, then plz find out if you have any changes in your right side of the body, if that is so then please consult a neurologist with your CT scan to find out the exact nature of damage.

I am a medical transcriptionist, I have never come across any very young aged strokes within my last 5 years of experience unless the patient had any traumatic injury to the head at any point of time, if that is so then absolutely nothing to worry about it, as you are very young thing will work out at a rapid rate, so absolutely nothing to worry just have a consult with a good neurologist.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

jjano HB User

Hi Deb,
When doctors ae not sure what the cause was, they tend to brush you off. Please do not let that happen. You MUST be your own advocate. Also be sure to take another person along to any doctor/patient conference.Two minds are always better than one and confir after you leave to be sure you BOTH heard the same answers.

If deficits are identifed, be sure therapy is perscribed quickly.

Strokes are and can be painless. My wife went to bed and the "Stroke Fairy" paid her a visit during the night. This is a lady who sleeps very lightly and she had no clue until I looked at her the next morning.

Stay positive and due to your age, a full recovery is in the cards.

Jim

Old 03-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

debbielovesmia HB User

As for blowing me off I sure feel they are. I did surching myself and have at least let the doctors know the scaring was not there a year ago dur to a past Ct in Aug2004. I am concerned because a have alot of stress with my husband being sick post BMT. the eco was fine so I am awaiting a nerologist. The doctors say I am fine to continue on daily activities but I do not feel I can safely with a 2yr old and 6yr old.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
(female)

debbielovesmia HB User
Talking Re: Left side brain damage

MAY 5th finaly a date with a nurologist

Old 04-10-2005, 03:54 AM   #8
(male)

jandg HB User

Damage to the left side of the brain (if severe) can cause right side paralysis. Other areas that are affected are speech or language. Organizational skills might also be affected. When "reviewing" yourself, these are the areas that might be affected.

Closed Thread