It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

dixiedreams HB User
stroke with negative MRI and CT?

I have a clinically diagnosed stroke, with expressive aphasia, but so far the MRI and the Ct have both been negative. How can this be? Is it even possible? thanks for any insights.

Next up is carotid imaging and speech therapy.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User
Re: stroke with negative MRI and CT?

I'm not sure that it is or isn't possible. Who diagnosed the stroke and do you have other symptoms besides the expressive aphasia? chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

How soon was the CT and MRI done after your symptoms started? The first CT scan that my dad had after we brought him to the ER came back clear. He start out with just the aphasia, but by the next day the doctor said that he had completed his stroke. The CT didn't show up until the next day.

I would tend to think that if you had a stroke it would show up if enough time had lapsed.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #4
(female)

brocally HB User

As the previous poster said, it may take some time for radiological evidence to show. Also, if it was a non-contrast scan, it might miss a small infarct that still caused big problems.

Best of luck with your rehabilitation.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
(female)

dwallech HB User

I had a mini stroke 02/22/05 which affected my right side and my speech. They did every test as far as CAT, caratoid scan, MRI, MRA, etc, Nothing showed on the tests. I was in the hospital for 2 days, then sent home with no instructions, but to take Plavix 75. I still suffer with fatigue and heaviness in my right side. If I get upset my speech goes back to gibberish. They said the thing is my platelets are sticking together too much, thus the plavix. My husband and I take it a day at a time as we know there is a greater risk of stroke. I also have mitral valve prolapse and multiple connective tissue disease. Getting answers to anything has been through great difficulty and many searches

Old 06-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
(female)

kproy HB User

God does this sound like me. I actually did have a major stroke in Nov 2003. I have had recurrent problems since then. Weakness, expressive aphasia, sometimes, I can't speak at all. In fact tonight, I couldn't even open my eyes. I still get tremors on my right side. I was hospitalized about 3 weeks ago where the drs were split on the DX. Some believed I had a TIA, since I had all the same symptoms of the original stroke. But of course all of the tests came back normal. And even though, many of the dr.s and nurses witnessed me having seizure episodes, they sent me home with a diagnosis of "Conversion Disorder" Basically saying I'm crazy. The neurologist increased my meds which screwed me up even more. I started having black outs, hitting my head 3 times now. Ending up in the ER unconscious for 5 hours 1 time. I finally went to see a new neurologist last week, and guess what, he has now given me 2 new diagnoses to play with and is now messing with my meds. So now not only do I have Conversion Disorder. I have Post Traumatic Stress disorder, and Bipolar disorder, and the first med he decided to take me off of was my antidepressant. OK, sorry for the rant. But I know what you are going through and it is very scary. Just don't give up, and don't let them over-medicate you and screw you up like they did to me. Kim

Old 06-19-2005, 03:47 AM   #7
(female)

dixiedreams HB User

Hi, everybody, thanks for all of the comments. Finally did get a firm stroke diagnosis; in fact, the doc commented on damage on both sides of the brain which explains why my speech therapist thought I had some components of right- and left brain dmanage.

I've had 4 weeks of intensive speech therapy with 2 more to go. My speech is coming along much faster than some of my cognitive losses are. I'm finding that very frustrating - I want to be back to normal like yesterday! My speech therpaist is awesome, he has a great sense of humor and (almost) makes it seem fun while he teaches me the tools to improve that which can be improved and to work around that which cannot.

Thanks for all of your support and suggestions during this fairly insane time. Sorry I did not write back sooner. The therapy and trying to get back into life have kind of overwhelmed me. Hopefully you'll see more of me and I of you!

Shelby

Old 06-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

Shelby,

I'm happy that you are doing so well with your speech therapy. Recovering from a stroke is a difficult journey, and lot of work. You have the drive and the attitude that will help you overcome this, and I'm hoping to hear more on how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Sandi

Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
(male)

ms1313 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallech
I had a mini stroke 02/22/05 which affected my right side and my speech. They did every test as far as CAT, caratoid scan, MRI, MRA, etc, Nothing showed on the tests. I was in the hospital for 2 days, then sent home with no instructions, but to take Plavix 75. I still suffer with fatigue and heaviness in my right side. If I get upset my speech goes back to gibberish. They said the thing is my platelets are sticking together too much, thus the plavix. My husband and I take it a day at a time as we know there is a greater risk of stroke. I also have mitral valve prolapse and multiple connective tissue disease. Getting answers to anything has been through great difficulty and many searches
Have you been tested for Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome? Also TIAs don't usually show up on CTs & MRIs as they are transient in nature.

Closed Thread