It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #1

uproared HB User
So I had a TIA (Loss of vision) ...

Hi Guys,

I'm a 19 y/o male. I consider myself pretty healthy - I workout 3-4 times per week and I don't smoke. Anyway, a few weeks ago I lost complete vision in my left eye for about 6 minutes (all I could see was 'gray'). After the 6 minutes my vision gradually came back over a period of approximately 1-2 minutes. I had a similar occurance roughly 3-4 months prior to this where I 'almost' lost vision in both of my eyes for approx. 1 minute.

I visited my GP the next day, although she was incredibly negligent (long story) and after phoning the Australian stroke foundation they suggested that I check myself into emergency. The opthomologist found nothing wrong with my eyes, but booked me in for an emergency carotid ultrasound and echocardiogram (well, it was for in about 72 hours, but the waitlist for an echocardiogram was 6 weeks). He told me that he was fairly concerned that the embolic event was triggered by L->R shunting.

Now; the echocardiogram didn't show a hole. That said, I'm suspicious that there may in fact be one.

1) There was doubt between the doctor and the ultrasound operator as to whether or not a hole existed.

2) The doctor injecting me with the 'salt water' appeared to be in quite a rush, and seemingly disinterested in the results.

3) The operator was not able to get such a proper view from the bottom as a result of my developed stomach muscles.

The carotid cardiogram showed nothing, which sounds about right, as I'm probably a little too young to have a blockage in my carotid artery.

Should I say anything to the doctors? I've read that sometimes the hole can only be detected by an echocardiogram that is administed through the throat (I've forgotten the technical term).

The reason I am a little skeptical is that initally my GP was going to book me in to an optometrist for 3 months time. I then suggested to her that it may have something to do with bloodflow to the brain, at which point she found a murmur in my right corotid artery (which they couldn't find at the hospital!). Despite having experienced a TIA and finding a murmur the doctor didn't even tell me to take aspirin and booked me in for only a carotid artery test for in 6 weeks time. Needless to say, I don't trust the opinion of JUST ONE medical professional anymore.

So, what should I do?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
(female)

lostinreality HB User
Re: So I had a TIA (Loss of vision) ...

Look up Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome on the web. Because of your age you need to be tested for it. You need to find the trigger of these events. APS is an autoimmune disease that basically causes sticky blood which then causes strokes.

I had my first TIA at 17. I had the worst headache and total loss of vision in both eyes for 6 hours. I had a fell stroke at 27 but wasn't dignosed until 31 after I sought out a rheumatologist.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #3

uproared HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinreality
Look up Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome on the web. Because of your age you need to be tested for it. You need to find the trigger of these events. APS is an autoimmune disease that basically causes sticky blood which then causes strokes.

I had my first TIA at 17. I had the worst headache and total loss of vision in both eyes for 6 hours. I had a fell stroke at 27 but wasn't dignosed until 31 after I sought out a rheumatologist.
Thank-you.

I'll research APS and ask my doctor about it when I have my appointment next week. They have taken approximately 16 blood tests since I was admitted to emergency so they may have already tested for it. Cheers.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
(male)

ms1313 HB User

Uproared.

Sounds like you had a form of a TIA called a Amarousis fugax. I had one it was caused from a clotting disorder called APS or Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome.

You may want to get tested for some clotting problems.

Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
(male)

ms1313 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinreality

You have APS too. I was dizzy and having TIAs for many years before I got a diagnosis. Too bad it takes a serious problem before they tested us. Sounds like we are all in the same boat. I did find a APS foundation in the US. How kewl is that? I see we aren't alone in this battle.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

lostinreality HB User

It's amazing how docs look at your age and the fact that your a woman and tell you you must be having panic attacks. I even had HELP syndrome when my third son was born and low platelets combined with APS and a week later passing clots bigger than my hand. I could have died. The docs said they wouldn't have believed it if they hadn't seen if for themselves. Here in NC they now have a OB clinic that specializes in APS. If I ever decide to have another child I will be going there.

I have primary APS and by my late 20's I started having symtpoms that mimic lupus and MS. After my doc told me I was just getting old too fast I went to a rheumatologist and with my history and my families she immediately started me on plaquenil and aspirin before the tests even came back positive. The med works great.

I was even getting tiny clots in my fingers. Like tiny peas you could slightly move around. They hurt to bump them.

Closed Thread