I'm a 19 y/o male. I consider myself pretty healthy - I workout 3-4 times per week and I don't smoke. Anyway, a few weeks ago I lost complete vision in my left eye for about 6 minutes (all I could see was 'gray'). After the 6 minutes my vision gradually came back over a period of approximately 1-2 minutes. I had a similar occurance roughly 3-4 months prior to this where I 'almost' lost vision in both of my eyes for approx. 1 minute.
I visited my GP the next day, although she was incredibly negligent (long story) and after phoning the Australian stroke foundation they suggested that I check myself into emergency. The opthomologist found nothing wrong with my eyes, but booked me in for an emergency carotid ultrasound and echocardiogram (well, it was for in about 72 hours, but the waitlist for an echocardiogram was 6 weeks). He told me that he was fairly concerned that the embolic event was triggered by L->R shunting.
Now; the echocardiogram didn't show a hole. That said, I'm suspicious that there may in fact be one.
1) There was doubt between the doctor and the ultrasound operator as to whether or not a hole existed.
2) The doctor injecting me with the 'salt water' appeared to be in quite a rush, and seemingly disinterested in the results.
3) The operator was not able to get such a proper view from the bottom as a result of my developed stomach muscles.
The carotid cardiogram showed nothing, which sounds about right, as I'm probably a little too young to have a blockage in my carotid artery.
Should I say anything to the doctors? I've read that sometimes the hole can only be detected by an echocardiogram that is administed through the throat (I've forgotten the technical term).
The reason I am a little skeptical is that initally my GP was going to book me in to an optometrist for 3 months time. I then suggested to her that it may have something to do with bloodflow to the brain, at which point she found a murmur in my right corotid artery (which they couldn't find at the hospital!). Despite having experienced a TIA and finding a murmur the doctor didn't even tell me to take aspirin and booked me in for only a carotid artery test for in 6 weeks time. Needless to say, I don't trust the opinion of JUST ONE medical professional anymore.
So, what should I do?