It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User
could this be mini strokes?

Husband is 42. Was diagnosed with vertigo about 6-7 months ago. I had originally taken him to e.r. when he kept getting dizzy, left arm getting numb and then weakness. I thought, heart attack. In the car, he had an episode and noticed that he was slurring, just a tiny bit, not much.They did a cat and didn't show anything and sent him home. Went to another dr. 4 days later and he said vertigo. He was put on meclizine {sp}. Now, for the past month, it's come back but, the numbness is worse and it's the entire left side, even his leg. My husband is a work horse even when sick and doesn't run to the doctor, EVER! Other than this prior visit, it had been 18 years since he went. He deals with pain on his own and get's over sickness fairly fast, until now. What I'm wondering, could these be mini strokes? Is there somewhere that I can match his symptoms or a place that will ask questions and help give an answer? ***** doesn't show anything. BTW, he is going to the dr. tomorrow for this and a sore throat. Any advise or opinions are welcome.
TIA

Old 01-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

TERRA157 HB User
Re: could this be mini strokes?

Yes. According to the neurologist that I had to see this weekend. I too had this happen on Friday night. I think it actually started on Wednesday with a mini stroke and Friday night the numbness travelled to the legs, arm, left side of head. I would suggest your husband take his body to the hospital ASAP as he is in danger of having a major stroke. least this is what they told me this weekend. He needs tests. Period. The Mini as they call it is actually a temporary blockage of blood to an area of the brain, my Dr said the Thalamus area, for the left side numbness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
(male)

lordfinx HB Userlordfinx HB User

As Terra Said, if you havent already made him go to the hospital, do it ASAP!!! Slurred Speach, Weakness!!!! Those are signs of Trans Ischemic Attack(TIA) Mini Stroke, which often preceed a major stroke. GET HIM TO THE HOSPITAL ASAP!!!!! Dont make the mistake that I did, Don't let him be Macho! Don't blow it off, his life depends on it. And I am in no way saying this Half Heartedly GET HIM TO THE HOSPITAL!!! DO IT NOW!! There are medicines known as Transient Plasminogen Activators which has greatly reduce the damage of a stroke if used within a certain time frame.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

DH had a doctors appointment last Friday. His blood pressure was high, so, they are doing a full physical on him 1/30, next monday.
I went with him and told him all of what is going on and he didn't seem concerned. Maybe I should go again on Monday and say it again?
Could the headaches and numbness be caused by the blood pressure rising and maybe not really strokes? I don't know what else to tell the doctor.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

This idiot Dr. is saying that my husband is in a depression. My husband has never been depressed about anything in his life. He worries about normal things, money, bills etc..
We will get the results of his blood work this Friday. If it doesn't tell us anything and he tries to prescribe him some depression meds, I am going to BLOW UP!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
(female)

kfunk HB User

yes I agee go to ER, be persistent... I was not persistent when I had a TIA they transported me from work with vertigo/ slurred speech/ unable to walk with coordination... When I got there the doctor told me I had an inner ear infection...My ears didn't hurt... BUT to make a long story short 3 weeks later I had a Left Thalamus/ Brainstem CVA. I am fortunate to be here I guess. Still things are lacking such as balance coordination and when I get tired hard time talking. Go to the ER

Closed Thread