It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
(female)

CatKiki HB User
My "wake up" call

Dec 16, 2004, 5 days after my 48th birthday, I had a small stroke at work. I was just fine one minute, chatting with my friends just before work and then suddenly I was not able to speak, just 2 or 3 words at a time. I felt just fine except for not being able to talk. And in my line of business, I need to talk.. I am a customer service rep. I spent 5 days in the hospital and 7 weeks off work. Therapy helped me to speak again but I will never be 100%. The only thing that might have caused the stroke was I was very lax about taking my BP meds. I had forgotten for a few days. Now I am on a different BP med Twice a day now, (before it was once a day) and Plavix. I very seldom forget to take it now.

I still have recidule effects to this day. While I used to be able to put in a lot of overtime at work, I can only manage an hour or two a week. I get very tired and when tired, I cannot speak very well. Occasionally, I still search for a word or phrase. Most people can't tell that I have a problem, but I know and it is very frustrating at times. But it was my wake-up call. It could have been a lot worse. My BP was very high when I was in the emergency room and one morning, they had to draw blood 3 or 4 times because it clotted so badly before they got it to the lab.

My advice is TAKE YOUR MEDS and invest in a BP machine. I take mine periodically between appointments.

Kiki

Closed Thread