It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

agitate HB User
Stroke treatment for the elderly?

I really feel that my mother's doctors are writing her off because she is 82. I know she won't live forever but I would like to do whatever I can for her, and not being a doctor I don't know what that would be. When I ask questions, they act like they are annoyed with me.

One doctor even told me it was better not to spend any more Medicare dollars on her because someone else would need it!

In addition to seeking a new doctor, which I am doing, (preferabley one with a heart), I'd like to hear from anyone especially over 70 who has or has known someone treated for stroke/circulation problems successfully and what was done, be it diet, vitamins, prayer or whatever.

Any help at all is needed and greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Maureen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

trdawn HB User
Re: Stroke treatment for the elderly?

Maureen,
My dad had a massive stroke in Feb '06, he is 77. Everyone will tell you that being older is a strike against you in recovery, but that shouldn't prevent them from still trying. I took my dad from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility where they did therapy everyday--he progressed quite a bit. From being hoyer lifted to now using a standing transfer pole to get into his wheelchair, he can feed himself and eats everything. He cannot speak anything but garbled words. I have had him home w/me since July with home health care doing therapy twice a week---not really enough, but it's all you can get. You will have to be pretty persistent to get good therapy...cause everyone tends to write off older folks...sadly. Please let me know if I can give you any further help--good luck & God bless.
trdawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

Dan's Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agitate
I really feel that my mother's doctors are writing her off because she is 82. I know she won't live forever but I would like to do whatever I can for her, and not being a doctor I don't know what that would be. When I ask questions, they act like they are annoyed with me.

One doctor even told me it was better not to spend any more Medicare dollars on her because someone else would need it!

In addition to seeking a new doctor, which I am doing, (preferabley one with a heart), I'd like to hear from anyone especially over 70 who has or has known someone treated for stroke/circulation problems successfully and what was done, be it diet, vitamins, prayer or whatever.

Any help at all is needed and greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Maureen

Old 09-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

Dan's Mom HB User

hi,

my Dad, who is 83, had a stroke this past Friday. He is not in good health, generally and he falls a lot. At this point, after Friday. they have not put him on blood thinners because he falls all the time. I am very suspicious of health care providers and will question them but I didnt feel that they were incorrect with that decision. That would mean certain death to someone like him. I found, with my Mom, that it seemd to be true that the elderly can get cast off. Her doc was very disrespectful to her and I was very upset with him. My Mom wasliving at home with my Dad and she had Mac. deg so she coudbt see well. Her meds were all messed up and she was not doing well physically,, COPD and of course, she was kind of out of it. However, she was never confused, she was slow to process things. Once she go to Assisted Living, she improved bcause she was getting good care. her Doc told me that she had dementia, which was not accurate. She was sharp, for a person of her age. He came to see her when we were talking about having her go to A.L. he said to us is avery sarcastic voice, 'well SHE certainly isnt going to amke any decisions. I was so P.Od I got her a differnt Doc who treated her with respect and tenderness. She was going to the E.R a alot at one point, and there were times when we were not with her. She todl me about some of the thngs they said to her because they were tried of her coming in there. They would never have said thsoe things if I was with her because I would have blasted em. She told me, now this came from the woman who had dementia, mind you, that she was in the E.R and she was ready to go home. She needed help hooking her bra. She asked the nurse to help her and the nurse was impatient and said " who is going to help you with this when you get home'? My Mom, who lived with my Dad, said "oh, the neighbor man". I guess that shut her up.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
(female)

agitate HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdawn
Maureen,
My dad had a massive stroke in Feb '06, he is 77. Everyone will tell you that being older is a strike against you in recovery, but that shouldn't prevent them from still trying. I took my dad from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility where they did therapy everyday--he progressed quite a bit. From being hoyer lifted to now using a standing transfer pole to get into his wheelchair, he can feed himself and eats everything. He cannot speak anything but garbled words. I have had him home w/me since July with home health care doing therapy twice a week---not really enough, but it's all you can get. You will have to be pretty persistent to get good therapy...cause everyone tends to write off older folks...sadly. Please let me know if I can give you any further help--good luck & God bless.
trdawn

I agree completely, it shouldn't keep them from trying. That's why I get frustrated because I know many are not. You're right they definately write older people off, it really burns me up.

your dad sounds alot like the condition my mother is in. We use a standing lift with her and she can now feed herself well even though the therapists in the skilled nursing facility said she couldn't and never would. She has consistently improved albeit slowly. I hardly believe any prognosis of the doctors now concerning older people and won't give up hope.

It's great that you have your dad at home. He will probably improve more quickly there, my mother improved noticable the day after she left the nursing facility. God bless you too and I hope he has a great recovery.

Maureen

Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

agitate HB User
Red face Re: Stroke treatment for the elderly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's Mom
hi,

my Dad, who is 83, had a stroke this past Friday. He is not in good health, generally and he falls a lot. At this point, after Friday. they have not put him on blood thinners because he falls all the time. I am very suspicious of health care providers and will question them but I didnt feel that they were incorrect with that decision. That would mean certain death to someone like him. I found, with my Mom, that it seemd to be true that the elderly can get cast off. Her doc was very disrespectful to her and I was very upset with him. My Mom wasliving at home with my Dad and she had Mac. deg so she coudbt see well. Her meds were all messed up and she was not doing well physically,, COPD and of course, she was kind of out of it. However, she was never confused, she was slow to process things. Once she go to Assisted Living, she improved bcause she was getting good care. her Doc told me that she had dementia, which was not accurate. She was sharp, for a person of her age. He came to see her when we were talking about having her go to A.L. he said to us is avery sarcastic voice, 'well SHE certainly isnt going to amke any decisions. I was so P.Od I got her a differnt Doc who treated her with respect and tenderness. She was going to the E.R a alot at one point, and there were times when we were not with her. She todl me about some of the thngs they said to her because they were tried of her coming in there. They would never have said thsoe things if I was with her because I would have blasted em. She told me, now this came from the woman who had dementia, mind you, that she was in the E.R and she was ready to go home. She needed help hooking her bra. She asked the nurse to help her and the nurse was impatient and said " who is going to help you with this when you get home'? My Mom, who lived with my Dad, said "oh, the neighbor man". I guess that shut her up.
Hi Dan's Mom,

It's good you feel comfortable with their decision. In my case when I asked about blood thinners they sort of shrugged and said sure we can do that, and I thought, well why didn't you? My jaw dropped when I read what they said to your mother..it's a shame that medical professionals would behave like that, especially well paid doctors like the one who said my mother wasn't worth medicare dollars.

I'm sure your assessment of your mother's mental state is correct, because the same thing happened to my mother. I had a psychiatrist tell me that she had "severe altheimers" about 2 months after her stroke. She had zero dementia before the stroke, so I was shocked as to how she could have severe altheimers so quickly, and I told him she was ok pre-stroke and asked if the stroke caused altheimers. He shrugged and said "well, I guess so!" I wanted to say don't you know? but I didn't. Later she was taken off aricept because she had no such dementia.

Good for your mom for shutting that nurse up. I'm glad to hear you got her a kind doctor, I am searching for such a person now.

God bless you and your parents,

maureen

Old 09-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
(female)

eleanor61 HB User

The Doctors seem to write any one off thats had a Stroke regardless of age.Probley due to years ago it was concidered an old persons illness and they where never expected to live.Now folk are taking Stroke younger even kids,and doctors are baffled on how to deal with it.We all seem to have to fight for a decent chance of recovery.Its a disgrace.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
(female)

smily24 HB User

That is really messed up of you doctor to treat your mom like that .Your mom still has the right to live.I dont know to much about the heart.But I do know some nutritional facts to help you mom.First of all Vitamin C will help boost your moms immune system.Drinking orange juice is somewhat o.k.But she needs to eat the whole fruit.Onions and bellpepers can open her arteries and help with circulation.They can also get rid of blood clots and help in the heart area to.Just try it she will feel alot better.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
(female)

ivalee101 HB User

I'm New Here And Type One Handed.
I'm 80 And Had A Right Brain Tia In Feb 2004. I Had 6 Weeks P.t. My Left Side Was Completely Useless. Icame Out Of Rehab In A Wheelchair But Able To Walk For Short Distances On A Quad Cane. In A Few Months I Was Able To Take A Few Steps Un Assisted.

You Need To Push For Further Help For Your Mom.

So Much Depends On The Dr., The Severity Of The Deficit And Other Factors.. But They Are Learning More Every Day. The Latest Opnions Seem To Be That There Is Really No End To The Ability For The Brain To Continue To Recover.

My Deficits Were Pretty Bad But My Mind Was Not Affected In Any Way. That Helped Me In Motivation. My Hand Is Sstill Not Really Functional, But I Wont Give Up On It.

Closed Thread