It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

LeeAnn1365 HB User
Stroke/sleeping alot

I had a stroke in January. Since then, I had been requiring more and more sleep. It seems like I want to nap all the time. I laid down yesterday at 3:00pm for a nap and woke up at 9:00pm! Went back to bed at 2:00am, got up at 7:00, laid back down at 12:00pm and slept until about 4:00pm. I feel like I could go to bed right now and sleep until tomorrow. This has just started happending since my stroke in January. Is this a common problem with stroke survivors??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
(female)

shewizard HB User
Re: Stroke/sleeping alot

hello sleep alot,
As a wife of a stroke surviver, my husband I can tell you that he slept quite a bit when he first had his stroke, as a matter of fact he still naps during the day for a couple of hours at a time. He had his stroke april of 2005. So it has been a while but as we understand other survivers of strokes this is a common thing. They tell us that the body is still recovering from the stroke and that it may take years for the body to recovery as much as it will or completely which ever applies to each stroke survivor. You have to understand that a stroke affects what ever side it has affected and it takes a long time for the nerves and muscle and tissue to recover from the shock of the stroke its self. what ever side you had the stroke on is the weak side in side as well as the outside of your body. The best thing is to understand that the body is telling you that it needs to sleep and that sleep is the way of the body to heal itself. Don't let family or doctors tell you otherwise. The body will always tell you what it needs if we just listen to it..
Anyway I hope this has helped... You will also find that your strength is nill, and that also will come back in time. You have no reserve strength to draw on as a person without suffering a stroke would have. Give yourself time to heal. Take care of yourself and try not to push recovery too quickly. Good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I agree~!

My stroke was due to a hole in my heart that went undiagnosed my entire life. A couple months after the stroke...I had the hole closed via catheter/implant.

Due to the heart complication...I was told NO physical activitiy for 6 mos... in that time, I gained back the 50lbs I had lost the year prior...

While I often attribute my tiredness to the weight gain, I have to remind myself that I had a STROKE, and it may not all be due to being out of shape!!

Old 09-12-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
(female)

Dan's Mom HB User

Hi,

Has anyone had this happen? My Dad had a stroke last week. he is 83. Every day it seems that things are changing. At first, he wasn't having problems swallowing and now he is. Sometimes he is lucid and sometimes he isn't.. that i understand. It seems like he has changed since he had the sroke.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 AM   #5
(female)

eleanor61 HB User

A Stroke Survivor never has two days the same,We change from the person we where to help us adapt to the changes we have to deal with.

I am 6 year Since my Stroke and i stil get tired,i GET TIRED THROUGH BORDOM OR TRYING TO MUCH,THIS IS PROBLEY WHY BEING TIRED IS VERY COMMON ON FOLK THAT HAVE HAD A sTROKE.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:34 AM   #6
(female)

eleanor61 HB User

Opps sorry about the Capitals

Old 09-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
(female)

StoryQueenD HB User

I too am the wife of a stroke survivor. I find all posts here interesting. My husband is napping now on the couch as he has since his heart surgery. He had a valve replacement as one was defective from birth & we didn't know this until last Nov. when immed. surgery was done. Our Dr. said he had a mild stroke and this is why numbness in his leg continues, yet our surgeon refused to explain this to us. Anyway, there have been many changes in our lives since then and we aren't that old. My question to those of you who are stroke survivors or have a mate that is, what is your memory capacity? My husband just lost his wallet yesterday and forgets things constantly since his valve replacement. He has slowed down considerably since surgery and I hear that recovery is very very slow.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
(female)

eleanor61 HB User

memory does seem to be a problem in Stroke Survivors. it can improve by exerciseing the brain such as i use a notice board in the kitchen remiders for apponitments that sort of thing.And another thing i di is if i have lost something i sit down and try and re-rtrace my steps in my mind.I found looking franticly everywhere for something is just using up energy that tires me out.

Recovery is slow but anything is possible and each day day is diffrent no two days are the same.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
(female)

Missylin HB User

Hi, this is my first time on this board. The thread on sleeping is very relevant for stroke survivors. I am 2 years post strokes, with bilateral strokes, and still find myself tired much of the time. Some days I nap through the whole day. Some days, not so much. A major brain attack such as a stroke is a major dsiruption in the brain. It is necessary for your brain to rewire itself. And, for my, that process requires a lot of inner energy. Sleeping helps that process.

Don't despair! most of us need lots of rest.

Take care,
missylin

Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #10
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi sleeping alot,

It is 4 years since I had my stroke leaving me disabled in my right leg and arm. I go to the gym 3 times a week to increase my strength and mobility.

Normally, I tire from doing too much, but have never taken a nap in the afternoon. Try to keep yourself up doing something, whether it's reading, working on the computer, watching TV, going out to take a walk, etc. When you find yourself beginning to get tired try and snap out of it and go on to something else.

After about a few days, you'll find yourself back on your regular sleeping pattern. That is sleep only at night.

I might add, some medications make you sleepy. My doctor has me taking the ones that make you drowsy, at night before bedtime. It seems to have worked.

I know this will pass for you, have faith and try some of what I have explained. I sincerely hope it helps you.
A fellow stroke victim.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
(male)

bigglugg HB User
Cool Re: Stroke/sleeping alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAnn1365
I had a stroke in January. Since then, I had been requiring more and more sleep. It seems like I want to nap all the time. I laid down yesterday at 3:00pm for a nap and woke up at 9:00pm! Went back to bed at 2:00am, got up at 7:00, laid back down at 12:00pm and slept until about 4:00pm. I feel like I could go to bed right now and sleep until tomorrow. This has just started happending since my stroke in January. Is this a common problem with stroke survivors??
I've learned after a massive stroke 8yrs.ago, sleep is how the brain heals itself.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

It's been almost 2 years snice my stroke.Dec25,2004. And I still could sleep all the time. If I take a nap it is when my 2 & 3 year olds are napping. But most days I don't get to nap.

Yes, this is normal for stroke survivors, but it is not normal for me. And I want to be normal again.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
(female)

suze999 HB User

Your brain has undergone a terrific assault and you need the rest. Til this day, after 14 years, my brain gets tired and just stops working til I get rest. It will get better but be kind to your body and brain it is resting so it can come back and help you..

Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #14
(female)

StoryQueenD HB User

Thanks for your input all! I guess when you've been through something like this, you realize that you don't know what's "normal" or even if there is such a thing. I think that we're all wired a bit differently. My husband is not yet on disability, though he was temporarily after surgery, etc. We are certainly considering a move to a warmer climate, since we're empty nesting having had our family at a young age. What's been difficult is that people's expectations of him remain the same. For example, he's attempting to work as close to 40 hrs. as possible, yet there are good and bad days as mentioned here. This makes it difficult to know how he'll feel from one day to the next.

Great to learn that resting is the brain's way of healing itself!

Donna

Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
(male)

5davidstar HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stroke/sleeping alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's Mom View Post
Hi,

Has anyone had this happen? My Dad had a stroke last week. he is 83. Every day it seems that things are changing. At first, he wasn't having problems swallowing and now he is. Sometimes he is lucid and sometimes he isn't.. that i understand. It seems like he has changed since he had the sroke.
Don't give up hope. I keep reading and am being told all the time by doctors, nurses, therapists and other stroke patients that the first 3 to 6 months after a stroke are the most crucial in determining the extent of a stroke patients recovery. Starting therapy as soon as possible is key.
My mother of 80 years had a stroke on memorial day (5/26/08). And yes changes/improvements will happen everyday for the first 3 to 6 months. I find that continously adhereing to her old routine as much as possible has helped her regain some of her memory. Also she's now sleeping 11 to 13 hours every night as opposed to her pre-stroke of 7 to 8 hours, however I do find that she wakes up more refreshed and her therapy is more effective the more she sleeps, so I let her. I'm assuming the brain is like every other part of the body. When it's been damaged, it needs time to recover and over stimulation can actually do more damage than good.
I also encourage her to attempt to do what she can by herself (with my supervision of course) in order for her to regain control of herself. Sometimes she will and sometimes she won't, but I keep trying everyday. It's tough, but just remember, they stayed up many late nights soothing our fears and making us the people we are today. Good luck!

Last edited by 5davidstar; 06-10-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Closed Thread