It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

cas1963 HB User
Should one ever give up hope for stroke victim?

My 64-year-old father suffered an aortic dissection. During the surgery to repair it, he suffered a stroke. The neurologist has said that he is in a "light coma." He opens his eyes when his name is called, and he seems to turn his head toward sound. However, he does not respond to any commands. It is very discouraging to hear the neurologist say that he doubts my father will ever get any better and it would be better for him to be "let go" should anything further medical arise. After reading many stories of people recovering way beyond expectation, I am really angry that a doctor would say that to my mother. I don't want to be unrealistic in my expectations, but neither do I want to give up.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
(female)

eleanor61 HB User
Re: Should one ever give up hope for stroke victim?

Can i just say first of all there is no such thing as a Stroke Victim,We prefer to be knowning as Stroke survivors.

No one should give up on Stroke Surviors.i had a big Stroke and had to have brain surgery.I was 38 and i certainly was not a victim.Its been 6 hard going years but i'm living proof that it can be done,So no don't give up,Your dad is stil alive and in my books that means hope.good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
(female)

cas1963 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor61
Can i just say first of all there is no such thing as a Stroke Victim,We prefer to be knowning as Stroke survivors.

No one should give up on Stroke Surviors.i had a big Stroke and had to have brain surgery.I was 38 and i certainly was not a victim.Its been 6 hard going years but i'm living proof that it can be done,So no don't give up,Your dad is stil alive and in my books that means hope.good luck.
Thank you for your reply and for correcting my use of the word "victim." This is all very new to me and my family, and we are already encouraged by progress we have seen in my father's ability to concentrate and follow directions.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
(female)

eleanor61 HB User

sorry if i sounded a bit blunt.Just hate that word Victim.

Glad to hear your Dad is making some progress,it is a long slow process but never give up .good luck

Old 09-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi,

I had a a pretty bad stroke in October 2002, when I was 55 years old with a good job. I was totally paralyzed on my right side. I had about 3 months in-patient therapy, and 2 months outpatient therapy.

I was told I probably would walk eventually with a cane, but several doctors told me I would never have function of my right arm and hand. I told them I don't accept their prognosis. I might add that I am a right-handed person, so that made it even worse. I had to learn to write and do things with my left hand.

But here's the good news, so don't get discouraged!

After having therapy in the first year, because thatís all medical insurance would cover, my doctor suggested I join a gym/health club since most of the equipment they used in therapy were available at the gym and some more. I have been going 2 or 3 times a week for 2 years now. It's incredible I got most my strength in my arm back mainly on my own at the gym. My right arm and hand are so strong compared to what was zero, and my legs have become stronger also.

All my fingers are functioning, in fact I am touch typing this note, that is using both hands and all fingers to type. The neurologist who originally gave me my bad news, couldn't believe it.

I'm not saying it was easy, it takes a strong will, determination, and alot of work. It will be 4 years Oct. 1st since I had my stroke.

Doctors don't know everything, they only go by what they've heard of read about. It's we stroke survivors who really know the facts and can attest to them. By the way, it's nearly 2 months now that I started to drive again.

So tell those doctors if they can't give people encouragement and hope, they shouldn't be in that field. Part of taking care of patients, is building morale so they want to get better. The brain is a very powerful thing. The stroke only destroyed certain routes that were used before to make certain parts of the body function. Now by repetition, it creates new routes to make functioning which was lost to once again function.

Hope I have given some encouragement.

A friend

Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

eleanor61 HB User

doctors go with whats in the text book not the patient,i was told i wouldn't walk or feed myself wel i proved them wrong,i only have left side weaknes,i can't type with my left hand but i am able to hold things an my hand doesn't shake as much.

I re-learnt to read and write started my own stroke group.From not being able to do anything to doing what i do now,is enough proof doctors are not always right,

Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
(female)

jerri37 HB User
Cool Re: Should one ever give up hope for stroke victim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfit View Post
Hi,

I had a a pretty bad stroke in October 2002, when I was 55 years old with a good job. I was totally paralyzed on my right side. I had about 3 months in-patient therapy, and 2 months outpatient therapy.

I was told I probably would walk eventually with a cane, but several doctors told me I would never have function of my right arm and hand. I told them I don't accept their prognosis. I might add that I am a right-handed person, so that made it even worse. I had to learn to write and do things with my left hand.

But here's the good news, so don't get discouraged!

After having therapy in the first year, because thatís all medical insurance would cover, my doctor suggested I join a gym/health club since most of the equipment they used in therapy were available at the gym and some more. I have been going 2 or 3 times a week for 2 years now. It's incredible I got most my strength in my arm back mainly on my own at the gym. My right arm and hand are so strong compared to what was zero, and my legs have become stronger also.

All my fingers are functioning, in fact I am touch typing this note, that is using both hands and all fingers to type. The neurologist who originally gave me my bad news, couldn't believe it.

I'm not saying it was easy, it takes a strong will, determination, and alot of work. It will be 4 years Oct. 1st since I had my stroke.

Doctors don't know everything, they only go by what they've heard of read about. It's we stroke survivors who really know the facts and can attest to them. By the way, it's nearly 2 months now that I started to drive again.

So tell those doctors if they can't give people encouragement and hope, they shouldn't be in that field. Part of taking care of patients, is building morale so they want to get better. The brain is a very powerful thing. The stroke only destroyed certain routes that were used before to make certain parts of the body function. Now by repetition, it creates new routes to make functioning which was lost to once again function.

Hope I have given some encouragement.

A friend
Hi friends/survivors i am a 37 yr old survivor i had a severe stroke/cerebral hemorage to right side of brain in 1994 at age of 24 yrs old. 4 days after having a baby. Its been a long journey but im now self sufficiant. still have left side weakness no use of left side but i am able to drive and own my own home daycare. I even took a one handed typing computer course. Im no longer concerned about regaining use of my left side because there are people worse off than i. I have made myself content with such wonderful cards i have been dealt realizing that it could have been much worse. Hope yall have a wonderful week.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
(female)

18Amanda HB User

I just learned that a new study has shown that the brain never stops healing so stroke survivors should never give up and neither should their caregivers. its been 2yrs since my stroke and im still improving everyday

Closed Thread