It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

jayneh HB User
Question pain after a stroke ........can you help

I had a mini stroke 6 weeks ago and am making a good recovery, i had limited movement and use of my right side which has improved, however my motor skills are none existant. i have pains in my shoulder and my right arm constantly aches, it gets worse on resting, could you tell me if this is normal and if you have taken any medication which has improved the pain. all i was given by my doctor for this is paracetomol which doesnt touch it. i am seeing him again friday and would like to able to ask him for something other than paracetomol.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jayne

The following user gives a hug of support to jayneh:
darklordd63 (09-25-2011)
Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
(female)

jayneh HB User
Thumbs up Re: pain after a stroke ........can you help

Thank you for your response. it helps to know that im not the only one that is suffering pain, at the support group i go too everyone doesnt seem to have pain they either have convulsions brought on by the stroke or just endlessly sleeping or are very depressed. i suppose i am one of the lucky ones really, but this pain is so depressing and having been down that road once dont want to go thier again if i can help it, so its good to know it wont last forever. good luck in your recovery. x

The following user gives a hug of support to jayneh:
ennbee (04-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User
Re: pain after a stroke ........can you help

hi Jayne, so sorry to read of your mini-stroke and subsequent pain. afterglow is correct in that the muscles may be weakened, and not support the shoulder? this is called ( subluxation) I think? pretty sure. my stroke was a massive one, affecting my left side. on November 2nd. will mark the 14 year point since my stroke. as afterglow says, the pain may subside in a few months? my experience is, not sure if it subsides or if you just kind of get used to it? I still have pain in my left shoulder/upper arm! yes occupational therapists can give you exercises for your affected arm/shoulder. having spent 30 months, in the hospital and rehab following my stroke, cause my stroke wasn't a traditional stroke? as caused by a clot or temporary obstruction of blood to the brain. my doctors say my stroke was a traumatic massive stroke from a crushing work accident, causing a complete carotid arterial dissection. meaning, my carotid artery broke apart? blood clotted between the parts? blocking all blood from the carotid from my brain, nothing can be done to resolve this? there is no more blood going to that part of my brain today than there was at time of my stroke?

in my 14 years post stroke I've had hundreds, maybe thousands? of hours of therapies. both physical and occupational I can tell you those exercises HURT! trying to get your affected arm to or past the 90% point. you might ask your occupational therapist about an F.E.S. unit? which stands for, I forget? if it's fundamental electrical simulation? or functional electrical stimulation? anyway, it's quite similar to a T.E.N.S. unit? which is used for pain, stimulating the nerves. an F.E.S. unit is used to stimulate muscles. it work off of AA batteries and is set to send slight electrical signals to muscles causing them to contract then release. I used one approximately 2 years after my stroke, put it on each morning when I got up, it was set at like 15 seconds on then maybe 10 seconds off. which means every 10 seconds an electrical current would cause my shoulder to raise to appropriate level then would drop for 10 seconds. this current you can feel but not at all painful! only like 6-8 volts? 2 AA batteries worth this stayed on all day til going back to bed. the unit clips onto your belt or waistband of your pants? has 2 wired stick on electrodes that stick on top of shoulder and on shoulder itself. actually feels pretty good as your shoulder raises then drops.

in the meantime, to ease the pain while lounging around your home, you might try placing a pillow under your elbow as you set. holding your arm up, so as not have the weight of your arm pulling down on your shoulder.subluxation is measured by the distance between the socket of the shoulder to the bone that goes into the socket. my subluxation, was measured at 3 fingers after my stroke some 14 years later it's measured at 1 or 2 fingers, depending on size of fingers of one measuring? still have pain but more used to it I think? as for pain medication? I take a total of 133 pills per week. though haven't taken a pain medication of any kind other than regular aspirin in over ten years

I hope this may be of some help to you? the impairments and pain in the aftermath of stroke is something I wish nobody would have to endure?

if only we all could be so lucky!

may god bless us all

Larry/coupe

Old 10-20-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
(female)

jayneh HB User

Thank you both for support. you have been very helpful. having seen the doctor this morning he has diagnosed spasticity which is a knock oon effect of the stroke its when the muscles tighten during the stoke and then they dontuntighten for whatever reason afterwards. it may or may not get better with time its hard to say.
he has however prescribed my a tablet called amitripyline which is used to treat this nerve pain but is also used to treat depression in some cases.i can take one or two at night it should help relax the muscles more.
i will keep you both informed of my progress
thanks again for your help
Jayne x

Old 10-21-2006, 03:20 AM   #5
(female)

jayneh HB User

Hi again, having taken one tablet at 8pm last night i wnet to bed at 9 and i woke at 9.30 this morning, having not had more than 4-5 hours broken sleep a night since the stroke this was a god send. this morning i feel as though ive had too much sleep but have no pain as such in my shoulder or arm although it does feel very jelly like. will post again in a weeks time to report how the week has gone.
Jayne x

Old 10-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
(female)

jayneh HB User
Unhappy Re: pain after a stroke ........can you help

its now 1 week since my last post. i have had a really bad week pain wise and discontinued the use of the tablets the doctor gave me after a couple of days. i have had severe neck and back pain as well asm my arm and shoulder.
i dont know if those tablets relaxed my muscles too much or was getting too much sleep but i felt not in control of anything and suffered with really bad mood swings which the kids noticed.
i did attend pysio on monday and he put me through my paces in the gym so not sure weather the pain had anything to do with the use of the treadmill and things he had me doing. but he did notice im not walking as i should be which may also add to my problems with posture.
I have now ordered a tens machine and am going to give that a try, it should be here within a few days so will post again on how that goes.
jayne

Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

jayneh HB User
Talking Re: pain after a stroke ........can you help

Hi, yes i have started using the tens machine and it does help although its not a cure. i also returned to the doctor and he changed my pain relief too, although im not sleeping to well i can say i am now uncomfortable with my back neck shoulder and arm but not in constant pain. im now taking diclofenac sodium enteric coated tablets 3 times a day. i dont touch paracetol as they just aggrovate things. i must say i feel like a new person. although im far from 100% things are little easier and i feel much better able to cope with everyday life. i got my tens machine from the Boots website it was half price if you ordered it online and its the best £25 i have spent so far, i also use a little deep heat rub on my neck when it starts to ache and that too helps.
hope this helps
jayne

Closed Thread