It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
(male)

Pouncer HB User
Had a Small Stroke Last Friday, What Now?

Hi, I am a 42-year old male and in good physical condition. Good cholesterol, low blood pressure, not a stressful guy. Last Friday morning I woke up and my right leg and right arm were not working very good. My leg had major weakness, enough to where I had to walk with my hand on the wall or something to keep from falling. My arm was a little weak but mostly the dexterity in my hand was affected. I immediately went to the hospital and went through a ton of tests: blood, CT scan, MRI, X-rays, ultrasounds of arteries and heart among others. All the tests came back negative. The neurologist said I had a stroke but they can't find out why. I'm guessing it was a mini-stroke but he said he is troubled by it because I have no pre-indicators like high blood pressure, heart problems, etc. I am home now and my leg is better as well as my hand. I am doing outpatient therapy now to help me recover my strength. I know it is really early in the recovery but it is really scaring me that the night before I had my stroke I was the picture of health, I ran four times a week, went to the gym 4 days a week, walked every night and now I can't even walk 150 feet without feeling exhausted. It worries me that I won't regain this even though I was lucky it was so minor. My question here is has anyone had a stroke where every test had been done and they weren't able to pinpoint where and why it took place? People have been telling me stories about "people who knows someone" or stuff like that but I thought that I would come here and ask. Me and my wife are expecting our first baby in MArch and I want to get well and stay well for that big day. Thanks for any help.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pouncer:
nonnie122 (05-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
(female)

jakama HB User
Re: Had a Small Stroke Last Friday, What Now?

Hi Not sure i can be of much help.
My dad who is 81 had a massive stroke and after al the tests they have no idea what caused his. He had no major medical problems. he had been to dr two weeks beofre and cholestrol and blood pressure all ok. The drs did say that his heart may have got out of rythem and was beating too fast and this could have triggered it. My dad now teels us he remebers laying in bed and went to get up to go to bathroom and couldnt stand on his legs, which in turn made him fall.
I wish you all the very best and wish you nothing but great health so you and your wife can both enjoy the most exciting precious time with your precious baby.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

lgf91 HB User

I can identify with you. I am a 63 year old woman in top condition and also had a stroke with no blood pressume or cholesteral problems. The month before I was snorkeling and sailing in the Caribbean. I could keep up with the 30 year olds. I had a massive brain stem stroke in June 2006. I was in ICU for a month and not expected to live, but I believe now that God had other plans for me. I was discharged from the hospital Aug 15 and have been in out-patient rehab since - 6 hours a week and exercises I do at home. I still have a long way to go, but I have made a lot of improvements. (I figure I have another 4-6 months to go My advice is make sure you are on a blood thinner other than aspirin (I'm on Plavix), work hard with rehab whether you want to or not and do not get discouraged (progress for me has been very slow especially after the first month). It is normal to be weak, and tire easily. I am on an anti-depressant - to not be shy about seeking counseling. You have had a terrible shock to you body - physically and emotionally. There are a lot of books and websites that give good information. Feel free to ask me any questions you want. I've had 4 months to research strokes and come to terms with what happened to me. I pray every day - I came to believe in miracles and believe God saved me. I wish you well - just keep working at rehab and you CAN get your old self back.
lgf91

Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I had my stroke at 32.... I had no indicators... i dont smoke, drink, take hormones/birth control...any of the things that cause one to be at a higher risk for stroke.... and just like you..I woke up in the middle of my stroke first thing in the morning!

Did they fully examine your heart?

I had a test done, called a TEE (transesophogeal echocardiogram)...basically, it's an ultrasound of the back side of your heart, thru your esophogas....

Well, low and behold, if they didn't find a hole in my heart! I had a birth defect (patent foreamen ovale)... typical one, where the hole in the heart doesn't fully close at birth, like it's supposed to. So, what happened that morning was, a small clot got thru the hole in my heart, and shot straight up to my brain, rather than shooting out to a limb, where it would have just disolved no problem.

As far as the fatigue... many people experience that. While you seem to be recovering very well (as I felt I had done also!!), so it's hard not to want to get back to your life as you knew it......but be patient.... rest.... let your brain heal...

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
(female)

cindy23 HB User

Well I was 31 when I had my massive stroke I was also the picture of health I worked out 5 times a week was the perfect weight i didnt smoke,drink or do anything that would harm my body. i woke up in the morning completly paralyzed on my left side. They ran every test known to man we still have no idea why it happened medically.i had no blood pressure problems or heart problems,chlosterol nothing. I believe everything happens for a reason, i guess mine was to slow down and enjoy life and my family I was always to busy. Now since all this has happened I have nothing but time to appreciate that I am still here to watch my children grow, I am still very weak on my left side but at least i can slowly walk.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
(male)

ZippyENG HB User

I am 54 and suffered a stroke last October well driving. Driving one minute nothing the next. They had a hard time finding the reason but I was lucky in ending up at the best hospital (my opinion) in Boston Ma. They did MRI, CT Ultrasound X ray and everything else. They way the found it was a test called a MRA which has something to do with 3 dimensional construction of my brain. They found a aneurysm which I have had repaired and I am doing well. Although It hasn't been long I am through with OT PT Speech ( they work mostly on helping you think if there is a problem and nothing with talking which was news to me. I find that I have to continue to exercise my left leg to get t`he best use ( no dragging etc). It is well worth all the effort you have to put in especially when you see results. I suggest` you` keep a daily journal to help you realize the progress you are making. Good Luck and congratulation on the upcoming event!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
(female)

suze999 HB User

TIA, mini stroke, is a warning sign make the DR's find out the cause and study yourself everything you can find, be aggresive and you may avoid a real stroke. You are young and this will help yoour recovery

Closed Thread