It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User
Numbness in hand and half of cheek?

Hey all,

I had a wierd thing happen to me last night. I was laying on the couch and my thumb and two fingers went numb. No pins and needles, just out right numb. I sat up thinking that layin on my shoulder did something and then the rest of my fingers started to go numb. I started to shake my hand to wake it up and then the right side ofmy cheek and lips started to feel numb. Then it moved to my tongue. After about 10 minutes is all subsided. I was checking my blood pressure during the whole thing and it never wen above 135/85.
I called my cardio's nurse and she said not to worry unless my bp is like sky high example she gave was like 190/120.
Should I be worried? I had forgotten to take my daily 81mg aspirin that day. I am on medication for hbp and svts, and also are on birth control at age 35. I would stop taking the birth control, but then it would cause other issues.

What do you all think? Could it be stress and anxiety because I have had issues with that as well.

Lyl

Old 12-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
(male)

ZippyENG HB User
Re: Numbness in hand and half of cheek?

Hi Lyl,

I think If i was you i would call my primary doctors and maybe the local E/R. I am not an expert on stroke only having had my own stroke in the middle of October. Your symptoms may be nothing to worry about. But remember the old adage "better safe then sorry" It could be a pinched nerve or something else. But if you are having warning signs of a stroke ( or similar event) the sooner you get checked the better off you do. I was lucky I had mine and was in a major stroke hospital within 2 hours. I lost the ability to move my left side. communication was very hard. The Dr. found i had an aneurysm that burst and bled into my brain. I had a craniotomy within 48 hrs of diagnosis's. since then I have regained the full use of my left side. My speech is back to normal. I am returning to work and can drive. If you never knew I had a stroke you would never suspect. But the sooner you get a complete evaluation the better you will feel and if it is the beginning of a stroke ( and I really hope not) the sooner it is determined the sooner treatment and recovery will happen. Let us know how you are doing!

Last edited by ZippyENG; 12-27-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I feel pretty okay today at work. I am trying to get up and walk around more often and will probably get on the treadmill when I get home. I think over the holidays I sat around too much.
I have a call into my GP for his nurse to call me. I have known her for 6+ years and definately respect her opinion.
Is it true that when you have a clot your blood pressure would go sky high?

It was pretty normal last night when the scare occurred and is been normal-low all day. I don't feel dizzy or anything.

lyl

Old 12-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
(male)

ZippyENG HB User
Smile Re: Numbness in hand and half of cheek?

I can imagine every onset could be different. God only knows what my bp was when I had the bleed or what it was that morning when I had the last warning sign that something was wrong. You see earlier that morning I had a headache after I sneezed , that pain in my head was so bad I had to sit down. Unfortunately for me the pain lessened over time till It got to the point where I thought I could drive. Normally my blood pressure ran in the 110-130/ 60-86 range. I think that when your bp is elevated it can have any number of reasons. Pain, Anxiety etc. Well in my case it was an aneurysm that burst causing a bleed into my brain. I guess this produced the pain that caused my elevated BP. When I arrived in the E/R I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 230/190. It took the Dr. a long time to determine what was wrong with me. I had CT's, MRI's , x rays AS well as ultrasound. They were finally able to pinpoint my bleed with a MRA. I am glad that you are feelings better and that what you experienced last night was a one time thing. I had a few warning signs. that i passed of as nothing to important. Now when I look back I wonder if I should of done something different. I did not have anything similar to you. I am glad you contacted a trusted friend. It will make you feel better and another point of view can only help.

The body and the mind are capable of doing some odd things. At one point in my life I lost the use of my left arm for about 2 months. I had a pinched nurve in my upper back. It was the type of pain that you may get from sleeping in front of an Air Conditioner. If I had it now I would think .. Hospital.. STROKE. Where I am still early in the recovery stage I am overly cautious. Enjoy the tread mill

Last edited by ZippyENG; 12-27-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Thanks guys for your opinions. I spoke to my GP's nurse and she thinks it sounded more like an allergic reaction. I had some peanut brittle and probably ate it with my right hand close before I had the incident. Even though I am not allergic to peanuts and have had peanut brittle before, it still could have been the mixture of the ingredients that caused a reaction. I don't eat it often.
She also confirmed that a stroke or even a blood clot would definately show in my blood pressure and I would have more than numbness. If I had lost motor control in something then she would be concerned. She did tell me if it happened again to call the doc on call so they could ask me more questions about my symptoms. She said that it would have freaked her out also and she would let my doctor know and call back if he wanted to take any action, but she doubted it.
I hit the treadmill tonight for a good 30 minutes and felt fine. No shortness of breath and 20 minutes afterward my bp was 100/65. I think I just need to keep up the walking regimen because it seems to keep my medical anxieties away.
Also, I have a grandmother who is 90 and she has yet to have even a mini-stroke. No blood clots or stokes in my family thank god!

Thanks all,
Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 12-27-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
(female)

e2farley HB User

Please understand that I am NOT in any way trying to scare you or deter you from what your physician said. I am only giving this information as it hit close to home with me, my son and my family. If you look back on a thread I posted recently, I listed the symptoms that my son has had over the past month and a half. He, too, had right-sided numbness (into his tongue, cheek - clear down to his shin). We took him to the ER and were told that he had a migraine headache. I still couldn't sleep, given the other symptoms, and so we took him back to the neurologist at Mayo where they did an MRI and MRA (angiogram) of his brain. Sadly, he was diagnosed as having a brain tumor. He is having surgery tomorrow. And although he only had 3 real "episodes" during the past month and a half, these symptoms were trying to tell me something. I hope that you will be persistent with your symptoms and treatment (i.e. tests, etc.). Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:55 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

farley,

Did you see any changes or spikes in your son's blood pressure? My nurse said that it would definately show if I was going to have a stroke. Also the numbness was only in my fingers, cheek and tongue. Your son's sounded like it was his whole side. I will keep an eye on it though and if it happens again I will be more aggressive with finding out the cause.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi,
First of all I did have a stroke 4 years ago at age 55. The symptoms were my fingers and hand were slightly numb when I awoke in the morning which lasted for a few hours. Originally I thought I slept on my arm and kept shaking it to wake my hand and fingers up. I was very stupid for not going to the ER. I did have high pressure when I went to the ER. After tests I was told I was having a stroke which later also affected my whole arm and leg. Thank God I'm pretty good today with much therapy and alot of exercise.

But, my niece at 39 had the symptoms you had, and had normal pressure. But since it was 11:00 PM her husband decided to take her to the ER to make sure nothing was wrong.

It's a good thing he did, they found later on that she had a hole in her heart, which she was unaware of. A blood clot got loose and that's what caused her stroke. That God it was very mild, they took care of the problem and she is totally fine with no disability.

She is a mother of 3 small children, active, slim and went to, and still goes to the gym 3 to 4 times a week.

So, first of all, nurses don't go to medical schools, that's why we have doctors. I would have a thorough checkup regardless of what the nurse says. And please, talk to the doctor direct not through a nurse.

Please check it out!
A friend

Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Thanks for all your posts, but I spoke to my doctor yesterday and he convinced me not to worry. Last July I thought I was having a heart attack and I had every test on my heart imaginable since then except for a cardiac cath. Both the cardio and my GP didn't find anything. I also asked him about having a hole in my heart and he said that it would have definately shown on my nuclear stress test that was taken in November. There are also no stokes or blood issues in my family going back as far as records can go.
If it happens again I will defiantely take more action and I will have better insurance January 1st.
I have had anxiety and panic attacks about my medical conditions for 7 months and have decided that when my time comes it will come.
I don't have the finances or the time off from work for more tests, especially ones that my insurance won't pay for.

I hate that the insurance companies dictate the type of care we get.

thanks again,
Lyl

Old 01-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

Hi..I too have had a host of ailments over the yrs. I just turned 48.. Some were actually due to my Panic attacks which I (Thank God) no longer suffer from.. But ..Once your dr. knows you and your history...like mine did, they MAY pass you off as just being a hypochondriac. They will think that everytime you complain it's all in your head or that your being a drama queen. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.. I have a lot of real issues.. heart, back etc.. but i also have been treated like a DRAMA QUEEN , and spazzzzo..by my last dr. when I was indeed having about 21,000 PVC's in 48 hrs. PLEASE GO TO THE DR,. AND DEMAND A CHECK UP.. I bet all is fine, but don't you want to know for sure...as not to add to your stress level?? Good Luck to you!! Happy 2007

Old 01-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
(male)

GuitarFan84 HB User

Hi there.

I'm not a doctor, but for what it's worth, I have a similar thing happen to me whenever I lay on my bed in a particular position. My thumb and two fingers next to it go numb within 25 minutes, 100% of the time. It's when I have my hands resting on my chest, lying on my back. Occasionally, the numbness also affects other areas, although never the tongue. But like clockwork, I experience similar numbness as what you described with your hands. It takes a while to spread beyond those fingers, but it happens unnoticed because I'm usually distracted by t.v. or headphones. Take care.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

GuitarFan,

This is the same hand and fingers that seem to fall asleep a lot when I am laying on my side like I was when this happened. My GP still thinks it was an allergic reaction to the peanut brittle I was eating. I have ate peanuts and peanut butter since then, but it may have been the oil or something in it. I used that hand to eat the brittle, and do favor my right side when chewing, and then my whole tongue went numb. The more I think of it, it was probably that. I haven't had any problems since then, but haven't laid that way or eaten the peanut brittle since either. I think it was me just freaking out and having anxiety about every wierd thing that I feel on my body.
Thanks again to all,
Lyl

Closed Thread