It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

Pat1988 HB User
Help! Meeting with Doctors

I'm new to this sight and I need a bit of help. We are preparing for a meeting with my dad's doctors Thursday and need help.

My dad had a stroke on Feb. 18th. He was in the hospital within a hour of the first signs. He refused to take the medication they give stroke victims in the first hours of a stroke to lessen the effects. He was told by the ER Doctor that he wouldn't give it to his father if it was him, so he got scared and refused it. Well he got worse and worse. He was put into ICU for his heart rate. Now he show no progress. He has loss the use of his left arm and cannot walk.

The hospital he was in sent him to New Orleans. Touro is the name of the hospital. My mom is there and only gets to see him from 4:30 to 8:00. He has become very depressed. He hasn't eaten much in the past month and has lost 30 pounds since the stroke. He was in a diaper Sunday when before the weekend he was getting help out of bed to go to the bathroom. He was even too embarassed to call someone to change him when he had an accident.

I'm afraid that at this rate he will never recover. Please I can use some help wording questions to ask his doctors. I live 5 hours away and need help.

Patricia

Old 06-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
(female)

omalleyc HB User
Re: Help! Meeting with Doctors

It sounds like he's depressed. I'd ask the doctor if a psychologist or psychiatrist has been talking with him, but I don't know that there's much they can do until your dad wants to talk. Perhaps you & your mom can remind him of all the positive things in his life and why he should want to live.

Good luck.

Chris

P.S. - Except that I saw this is almost 3 months old. I'm sorry. I just found this site the other day. I hope your dad is doing better.

Last edited by omalleyc; 06-09-2007 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Too old!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread