It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

castletwin2 HB User
Multiple episodes of TIA symptoms?

Hi,
In the last 3 months I have had many, many episodes (I call them). They vary in intensity and lenghth. They usually always start by my legs tingling and feeling very heavy. I immediatley get extremely tired and within minutes, I loose the ability to walk. Sometimes I can't talk at all, sometimes I can but is very slurred. I loose my cooridination in my legs,arms, hands, sometimes I can't even lift my head or even move for that matter. My vision is impaired, I can see but its like it's all distorted, compared to being drunk. They usally last about ten minutes or so.Afterwards I always have a pounding headache and am nausious. Sometimes the after effects lasts for hours and sometimes I feel ok and can carry on with my day. I've had an MRI, heart monitor on for a month, ekg, echocardigram, stress tests, a eeg cap on for a day (the neurologist tried to capsure one but it didn't work. I go back to another neurologist in December. I'm becoming discouraged now. It is really effecting my daily life. I never know when they will come. I have been at work many times, at the grocery store, at home , it happens in the morning, afternoon or night. If anyone is experiencing this or knows someone that is, please help me to find whats wrong or steer me in the right direction.
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User
Re: Multiple episodes of TIA symptoms?

Have you had a carotid artery ultrasound or some other test for blockage in that area? I have a friend who went blind in one eye for a few minutes, at which time her sight returned to normal. Her opthamologist told her that she should have her carotid arteries checked which she did. They found that both arteries were blocked (one - 80% and one - 90%). She was fortunate to have had that warning of a stroke apparently. She had the plaque taken out of both of her carotid arteries and now is very relieved.
Perhaps you should check with a cardiologist or even talk to your internist and have them listen for bruits in your carotids. Do you have hypertension or any circulation problems? Even if you don't, it's worth consulting your doctor about this to possibly find out the cause of your current problems.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
(female)

door77 HB User
Question Re: Multiple episodes of TIA symptoms?

Hi
I AM JUST NEW TO THIS ALSO. IT DID NOT SAY HOW OLD YOU WERE.BUT I GUESS THAT TIA S CAN HAPPEN AT ANY AGE . I HAVE HAD TWO POSSIBLE THREE. I AM TOLD THAT THEY ARE A WARNING OF SOMETHING BIGGER TO COME AND USUALLY WITH IN THE YEAR. AND TO CHECK YOUR NECK IS A GOOD IDEA. I AM TO HAVE THAT TEST TOMORROW. I ALREADY HAD THE MRI DONE. IT IS FUNNY I FELT PERFECTLY HEALTHY AND THEN OUT OF NOWHERE I HAD BLURRED VISION AND SCRAMBLED SPEECH AND THEN 4 MONTHS LATER ANOTHER ONE.M DAUGHTER IS REALLY GETTING ME TO GET THE TEST DONE AND SAYING IT IS SERIOUS.
SO MY THOUGHT IS THIS MY COLESTRAL IS 240 MYBAD IS 170 AND THE GOOD IS 40 AND BLOOD PRESSURE IS 139-159 OVER 86 AND I AM OVERWEIGHT. SO NOW HEY WANT ME TO DIET AND EXRCISE WICH I HAVE HEARD ALL MY LIFE SO WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User
Re: Multiple episodes of TIA symptoms?

Your description doesn't sound like the typical TIA. I presume that your carotids have been checked. There is another source of circulation to the brain, the vertebral-basilar system. Your symptoms sound a bit like brief ischemic episodes in this system. Look up vertebral-basilar insufficiency and see if anything sounds familiar. The usual tests (including MRIs) can overlook problems in this system but there are ways of checking it directly. Your neurologist will know. Good Luck...

Closed Thread