It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
(male)

gnznroses HB User
Unhappy numbness in arm, fingers, toes; a bit worried

i went to the dr today for my problems but didn't feel the dr spent much time trying to determine what's wrong. i'm 24 so he said it's not common for my symptoms to be a stroke or heart attack but that he didn't know what the problem was, and suggested i take up my idea of going to a chiropractor.

about 8 days ago, about midnight til i went to sleep at 2-3 am, i was having chest pains. not severe pains but definitely bothersome.
the following day my left arm was aching and felt sore to the touch. later that night my shoulder blade was hurting pretty bad and i had tingling, pin-*****-like feelings in both my arm and chest.
the day after, my whole arm hurt more, and felt heavy and hard to move. still had the off and on tingling.
my fingertips have also been going numb, and my left leg and foot want to go to sleep sometimes as well.
the last two days the pain in my arm has been better, but the numbness is still there, and i sometimes get a slight tightness in my chest (sometimes around the left side of my chest, other times my whole chest).

my symptoms seem to fall in both the stroke and heart attack categories, but also for that of a pinched nerve. the dr moved my arms around and stuff, saying if that were the case it should cause pain, but it didn't.
i'm perplexed and don't know how worried i should be...

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
Re: numbness in arm, fingers, toes; a bit worried

i dont have answers for you. but that i read your thread. i too am feeling numbness in my fingers. toes, scalp, tongue, lips...and it happened after a really bad migraine that happened 2 weeks ago. it doesn't seem to be going away. it doesn't stay around all day but mostly when i get up, could it be a circulation problem? i don't know. i scheduled an appointment and we'll see what the "professionals" say. try to go and see another doctor if you don't feel like you were treated the right way. just keep coming on the boards because i've found people who share the same symptoms as me and it is a bit of "sanity" to know u aren't alone. goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
(male)

gnznroses HB User

well, let me ask, would a mini-stroke cause pain in the arms and shoulders also, and occasional tingling/pressure in the chest?

i think maybe that aside from the numbness i've experienced, a heart issue would be more fitting than a mini-stroke.
or of course, a pinched nerve or some other muscular/nerve issue.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Stphanie1 HB User

I would get some simple blood test ..BNP and torpmine (spelling?) and an EKG done to eliminate heart problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
(female)

scm3349 HB User
Exclamation Re: numbness in arm, fingers, toes; a bit worried

You need to be evaluated by a different docter. A Neurologist is a very good idea, but you may have to wait, and that isn't.

It's been my experience that age isn't necessarily a factor.

I've read that the difference between a TIA and a full blown stroke is time; symptoms from a TIA last less than 24 hrs.

scm3349

Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
(male)

gnznroses HB User

the numbness in my fingertips is still present quite often. it's not full numbness, but a lack of full feeling. other than that i think i'm fine. my arm is a bit stiff and achy, but i think it's from working on the computer. i never did make it to the chiro.

i posted in an "ask a doctor" forum and was told "It sounds more likely to be neuro/muscular, but if symptoms persist/recur or worsen a stress test may be reassuring"

i really dunno what to make of it...

Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
(female)

sierrabrulee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnznroses View Post
well, let me ask, would a mini-stroke cause pain in the arms and shoulders also, and occasional tingling/pressure in the chest?

i think maybe that aside from the numbness i've experienced, a heart issue would be more fitting than a mini-stroke.
or of course, a pinched nerve or some other muscular/nerve issue.
I think it's totally reasonable for you to find those symptoms bothersome. I don't know that being too young is such a good answer. I know many (including myself) who had one or the other or both before they were 30. The symptoms of stroke and mini-stroke are basically the same, but they don't last as long as you've had these. (Also, a TIA doesn't last as long as a full-blown stroke.) Virtually all of my symptoms were gone by the end of the next day... the prods and pokes from the ER lasted a little longer. While I was there, I kept remembering back when I was a student about the guy in the ER who came in for a heart attack who had really bad gas. I guess I was hoping to hear something similar about me that day. Oh well.

You might want to get with an MD to make sure it isn't a pinched nerve or muscular thing. They should be fairly easy to rule out or find. (Also, it could keep feeling like that until it resolves on its own and if damaged may heal incorrectly in the process. Then, they'll likely want to fix it... in that way much like re-breaking your arm.)

I get some of those symptoms from my migraines and had fairly similar ones with pneumonia/bronchial pneumonia in the past. I don't want to scare anyone but would like to throw out - is it possible the chest pain might be breathing related(a cold that seemed to go away but didn't?), have they ever done an EKG (arrythmia? valve? electricity?), or have they looked recently for a chemical/fluid imbalance that would cause those symptoms(electrolytes? dehydration?)? They may seem a little weird but depending on your situation might be worth looking into.

Closed Thread